Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Things that I want to exist.

story

Changing the facts
I want the rubber washing up glove people to sell packs of Left and Right gloves. It’s so very stupid and dumb and wasteful that every time I get a hole in one glove, I have to throw the good one out too and buy a new pair.

Ive fruitlessly tried to find the address of the Marigold people so I can post all my useless single gloves back to them and tell them to do this.

I‘ve looked on line for how to re-purpose single gloves, I’ve tried using them inside out, I’ve tried using them on the wrong hand, I’ve tried patching them with gaffer, resin, glue.

And I want fridge fittings makers to design and make the drawers and shelves so that I can un-clip the parts and clean and dry them properly! It makes no sense to me that something that stores food also harbours water in the crevices and under the edges, which then goes into a dark damp environment.

And I want a large sieve with a flat base that I can put in the base of my kitchen sink that traps all the detritus from my cooking and cleaning. With small holes. Smaller than a tea strainer. Much smaller than a chip drainer or any of the other drainy things I’ve looked at in the household goods shops. I want it to replace that stupid drain strainer, it would just rest in the bottom of the sink, it would be available in different sizes and shapes (oblong, round, square), reach to the edges of the sink or near enough so I can let my washing up bowl on top. I can wash my veg, dump out my teapot, pour out the washing up bowl, (but not in a drought…) and the sink sieve would catch it all. If the drain is running slow because there’s too much stuff in there, I can just lift it up and let the water drain through and down the sink, no need to fish out the drain strainer and then have all the floaters pour down the sink. Currently I use an old flour sieve but it’s round so doesn’t sit flat, but it’s so much better than the drain strainers.

Why would you want it smaller mesh than a teastrainer? I've just replaced my tea strainer which broke with another one and the mesh is perfect. Any finer and it would just block up. I use that on top of the stupid drain strainer and does seem to work ok. The sink did block up last week admittedly but a length of stiff earth wire down it soon shifted things :thumbs:

Had a friend renting a room years ago and she took the stupid drain strainer out "because it keeps getting blocked up".

Why would you want it smaller mesh than a teastrainer? I've just replaced my tea strainer which broke with another one and the mesh is perfect. Any finer and it would just block up. I use that on top of the stupid drain strainer and does seem to work ok. The sink did block up last week admittedly but a length of stiff earth wire down it soon shifted things :thumbs:

Had a friend renting a room years ago and she took the stupid drain strainer out "because it keeps getting blocked up".

To catch all the small stuff. If the area of the strainer is big enough the mesh can be really small.

My tea strainer has wider mesh than the flour sieve. The flour sieve mesh is what I want my sink strainer to be made with.

I hate the thing of not doing things right at this end creating more work at the far end.

It might be a false economy but it seems to me that a blocked drain, finding the tools to sort it out, having to do all that and then clean up afterwards is more of a chore and more annoying than not letting the drain block up. And my invention would stop drains from getting blocked. As you’ve point3d out, those stupid drain strainers are pretty pointless.

It might be a false economy but it seems to me that a blocked drain, finding the tools to sort it out, having to do all that and then clean up afterwards is more of a chore and more annoying than not letting the drain block up. And my invention would stop drains from getting blocked. As you’ve point3d out, those stupid drain strainers are pretty pointless.
Well normally I'd agree with you that prevention is best of all, but I'd been having very fine stuff go down that blocked it, and now that I know it just needs a bit of stiff wire shoving down there I can go straight to my stiff wire drawer and get it. Couple of minutes every few months if that :)

But obviously your invention would be the way to go, once you've worked out how to get all the stuff out of the fine mesh - can't just flick it into the bin like a tea strainer. :(

I actually bought two tea strainers hoping that I'd use one tea strainer as a tea strainer, but I've not used that one yet.

I want the rubber washing up glove people to sell packs of Left and Right gloves. It’s so very stupid and dumb and wasteful that every time I get a hole in one glove, I have to throw the good one out too and buy a new pair.

Ive fruitlessly tried to find the address of the Marigold people so I can post all my useless single gloves back to them and tell them to do this.

I‘ve looked on line for how to re-purpose single gloves, I’ve tried using them inside out, I’ve tried using them on the wrong hand, I’ve tried patching them with gaffer, resin, glue.
What’s the problem with using them inside out? Can’t be a simpler fix to the problem than that can there?

Well normally I'd agree with you that prevention is best of all, but I'd been having very fine stuff go down that blocked it, and now that I know it just needs a bit of stiff wire shoving down there I can go straight to my stiff wire drawer and get it. Couple of minutes every few months if that :)

But obviously your invention would be the way to go, once you've worked out how to get all the stuff out of the fine mesh - can't just flick it into the bin like a tea strainer. :(

I actually bought two tea strainers hoping that I'd use one tea strainer as a tea strainer, but I've not used that one yet.

Fine stuff won't block the drain, neither will most non-fine stuff tbh. What usually happens is that oil and fat blocks it, and the detritus gets stuck in that giving the impression that the bits are the cause of the blockage, but it's entirely due to the fat.

Yes would indeed have been fat that blocked it the other week. What we need is a mesh so fine that it'll catch fat, too :thumbs:

And I want fridge fittings makers to design and make the drawers and shelves so that I can un-clip the parts and clean and dry them properly! It makes no sense to me that something that stores food also harbours water in the crevices and under the edges, which then goes into a dark damp environment.

And I want a large sieve with a flat base that I can put in the base of my kitchen sink that traps all the detritus from my cooking and cleaning. With small holes. Smaller than a tea strainer. Much smaller than a chip drainer or any of the other drainy things I’ve looked at in the household goods shops. I want it to replace that stupid drain strainer, it would just rest in the bottom of the sink, it would be available in different sizes and shapes (oblong, round, square), reach to the edges of the sink or near enough so I can let my washing up bowl on top. I can wash my veg, dump out my teapot, pour out the washing up bowl, (but not in a drought…) and the sink sieve would catch it all. If the drain is running slow because there’s too much stuff in there, I can just lift it up and let the water drain through and down the sink, no need to fish out the drain strainer and then have all the floaters pour down the sink. Currently I use an old flour sieve but it’s round so doesn’t sit flat, but it’s so much better than the drain strainers.

So you always wear-out one glove faster than the other. Which handed gloves do you get through most of?

I might have a solution.

Last edited:
So you always wear-out one glove faster than the other. Which handed gloves do you get through most of?

I might have a solution.
Marigold gloves are fairly long lasting so if you get a hole in the right-hand one, you then have to keep the left-hand on the 50% chance than the right-hand one will go out of the next pair. Sod's Law says that if you keep it as a spare then the same hand will go and you will end up wth 2 right-hand spares whereas if you throw it then the left-hand will definitely go next.

The answer to the washing up gloves thing is to buy some proper professional gloves (the type that professional dish-washers/kitchen porters use in restaurant kitchens) rather than using disposable ones.

IMG_20220811_195549.jpg
We have this sieve that's pretty big and flat on the base. Maybe check Chinese supermarkets for similar?

Last edited:
I want a bath whose overflow (hole and pipes) is man enough to take the combined flow of both the hot and cold water taps so that in the possible once in a lifetime error that I leave the taps running disaster will be averted.

Who decided they should be so ineffectual in any case?

I want a bath whose overflow (hole and pipes) is man enough to take the combined flow of both the hot and cold water taps so that in the possible once in a lifetime error that I leave the taps running disaster will be averted.

Who decided they should be so ineffectual in any case?

Have you flooded your bathroom by leaving both bath taps running? Why would you even run a bath with both taps at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom