Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Virgin Mary

There are certain dogmas that one needs to absolutely believe in; including the Assumption of and perpetual virginity of Mary (...nudging discussion back on topic:thumbs:) in order to properly call oneself "Catholic"

Yes.well he did send on a set of rules indicating not to kill people. They were ignored for the most part by many.
I suspect most people never killed other people, long before religion codified our survival strategies. I doubt we would have become the apex pack animal if we had murdered each other on a regular basis. Even wolves don't usually kill their fellows.

I suspect most people never killed other people, long before religion codified our survival strategies. I doubt we would have become the apex pack animal if we had murdered each other on a regular basis. Even wolves don't usually kill their fellows.
But wolves and other animals steal from each other regularly & instinctually. Why do humans not do so?

Does this tract answer your question?

Well, I wouldn't read it because

1) it looks like an insulting judgement on the millions of Catholics who don't follow the teachings to the letter. You know, Catholics who believe but also believe in the right to choose, or LGBT Catholics who believe but not in the homophobic restrictions placed on their lives

2) You often post content without an explanation. Not everyone is going to click on those.

Well, I wouldn't read it because

1) it looks like an insulting judgement on the millions of Catholics who don't follow the teachings to the letter. You know, Catholics who believe but also believe in the right to choose, or LGBT Catholics who believe but not in the homophobic restrictions placed on their lives

2) You often post content without an explanation. Not everyone is going to click on those.
Why would anyone who does not wholeheartedly agree with the infallible dogma (including the infallibility part) of the Catholic Church want to consider themselves Catholic?

Such people would gladly be accepted by the tens of thousands of Protestant "denominations" where there is no conformity or uniformity of belief.
You like the "pastor's" suit; join that group. You like the music? Join that group. You agree with some, but not all of the doctrine? Well, that's ok.. they'll've had you until you find something you'll've like better..

That's Cromwell & Luther's idea of proper, reformed religion...
In my mind, it's chaos & insanity...

Last edited:

Early human historic remains are pretty gruesome.
"The scientists found that for the first 6,000 years, around one in three males and one in seven females showed evidence of suffering violent attacks. This should not have been such a surprise. These peoples also, the researchers note, left behind dozens of rock engravings — in which they are brandishing weapons"

And

The most violent time in our history was during the Formative, Classic, and Post-Classic eras. These are the times immediately preceding our modern era, and includes the time of the Roman Empire and the Middle Ages. More specifically, though, the most violent era was the Post-Classic, which runs from AD 1200 to modern times.

And then things suddenly got better. Today we experience a similar number of deaths from human violence as we did back in prehistoric times–as a percentage, of course. If you look back across history and consider the four different group types chosen by the study, you’ll see that today’s state society is the safest time and place to live ever, safer even than sparsely populated pre-history, where you might get set upon by a marauding band.

There were some anomalies...Easter Island being one. Where people tried to live as cooperative groups.

"The scientists found that for the first 6,000 years, around one in three males and one in seven females showed evidence of suffering violent attacks. This should not have been such a surprise. These peoples also, the researchers note, left behind dozens of rock engravings — in which they are brandishing weapons"

And

The most violent time in our history was during the Formative, Classic, and Post-Classic eras. These are the times immediately preceding our modern era, and includes the time of the Roman Empire and the Middle Ages. More specifically, though, the most violent era was the Post-Classic, which runs from AD 1200 to modern times.

And then things suddenly got better. Today we experience a similar number of deaths from human violence as we did back in prehistoric times–as a percentage, of course. If you look back across history and consider the four different group types chosen by the study, you’ll see that today’s state society is the safest time and place to live ever, safer even than sparsely populated pre-history, where you might get set upon by a marauding band.

There were some anomalies...Easter Island being one. Where people tried to live as cooperative groups.
So that would be an era when religion was very influential across much of the World.

Yeah, but they were only looking at the dead ones. That distorts the figures.

I think I've made my thoughts clear. There is an audio version of the article in the link. Please don't feel pressured in any way, however.
You haven't said where it says what you have to believe in order to qualify as a Catholic. And in case you can't tell where this is going, I was then going to ask how you know that that authority was correct. And so on.

You haven't said where it says what you have to believe in order to qualify as a Catholic. And in case you can't tell where this is going, I was then going to ask how you know that that authority was correct. And so on.
The answer is contained in The Catholic Catechism

\

I'll attempt to parce out the parts that directly answer you

We can turn this thread into a catechism lesson, if you like. I'll assume the role of instructor. U75 can be my pupils. The above link will be our text material.
in keeping with the OP's original thread title, there'll've been particular emphasis on the role of the Blessed Virgin Mary.

Here's some additional material

The Catechism in a Year (with Fr. Mike Schmitz) ALL Episodes

are we ready?

Last edited:
So that would be an era when religion was very influential across much of the World.

Well you could blame "religion" but it was more likely greed behind a lot of it.....humans fought for resources like water and land...and an effort to expand.

Many cultures turned to whatever "religion " they held to sort of bless their warring. The Azteks had a strong faith in human sacrifice to their Gods. Up to one a day especially when they were going to battle. Human sacrifice of prisoners was commonplace.
European cultures of antiquity also practiced human sacrifice. The Greeks, Romans, Celts and Germanic peoples all practiced ritual human sacrifice to a certain degree.

The deliberate and ritualized killing of an individual in order to please or placate supernatural beings—is known to have occurred in early Germanic, Arab, Turkic, Inuit, American, Austronesian, African, Chinese and Japanese cultures.

25 cultures that practiced human sacrifice​

Last edited:
Why would anyone who does not wholeheartedly agree with the infallible dogma (including the infallibility part) of the Catholic Church want to consider themselves Catholic?

Such people would gladly be accepted by the tens of thousands of Protestant "denominations" where there is no conformity or uniformity of belief.
You like the "pastor's" suit; join that group. You like the music? Join that group. You agree with some, but not all of the doctrine? Well, that's ok.. they'll've had you until you find something you'll've like better..

That's Cromwell & Luther's idea of proper, reformed religion...
In my mind, it's chaos & insanity...
I'm sure they think very highly of you, too.

Thing is, not all Catholics are as fundamentalist as you portray them. In Ireland, Catholics voted for divorce, same sex marriage and abortion. All things that are against the teachings of the RCC. And many of those would be believers but not of the conservative kind.

Well you could blame "religion" but it was more likely greed...humans fought for resources like water and land.

Many cultured turned to whatever "religion " they held to sort of bless their warring. The Azteks had a strong faith in human sacrifice to their Gods. Up to one a day especially when they were going to battle. Human sacrifice of prisoners was commonplace.
European cultures of antiquity also practiced human sacrifice. The Greeks, Romans, Celts and Germanic peoples all practiced ritual human sacrifice to a certain degree.

The deliberate and ritualized killing of an individual in order to please or placate supernatural beings—is known to have occurred in early Germanic, Arab, Turkic, Inuit, American, Austronesian, African, Chinese and Japanese cultures.

25 cultures that practiced human sacrifice​

I'd avoid that site to be fair. Comes up with all kinds of clickbait rubbish.

I'm sure they think very highly of you, too.

Thing is, not all Catholics are as fundamentalist as you portray them. In Ireland, Catholics voted for divorce, same sex marriage and abortion. All things that are against the teachings of the TCC. And many of those would be believers but not of the conservative kind.
I can't disagree with you as to your demographic analysis. "Cafeteria Catholics" like most of the present day Irish are not true Catholics
There is hope elsewhere

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom