Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Politics, Organisation and Representation of Squatting 1968-79 (online event, 21/01/21)

Pickman's model

Starry Wisdom
i saw this listed among the events at the institute of historical research and thought some of you might find it very interesting

The Politics, Organisation and Representation of Squatting 1968-79: An Investigation into the causes of the Squatting Movement’s Failure
The Politics, Organisation and Representation of Squatting 1968-79: An Investigation into the causes of the Squatting Movement’s Failure

Date
21 January 2021, 5.15pm - 7.30pm
Institute
Institute of Historical Research

Type
Seminar
Venue
Online- via Zoom
Description
Abstract:

When I began my research, I considered squatting to be an important 'forgotten' history that needed restoring to the historical record. I had squatted myself during the 1980s, obtaining my squat through the Advisory Services for Squatters whose newly-archived material formed the basis of my research. Squatting was widespread in the 1970s with 50,000 people estimated to be squatting in Britain, 30,000 in London alone. It was not only the scale of the movement I thought important, but I also considered squatting as a significant factor in the creation of the urban landscape, as an important radical grass-roots social movement, and the site of so much important cultural change from Gay Liberation squats in Brixton through Feminist Collectives experimenting with living outside patriarchy, to punk bands from The Clash to the anarcho-punks Crass.

I had expected my research to be celebratory, as my experience of squatting had been an empowering one, but the archive material led me in a different direction. My research highlighted the multiple fault-lines within the squatting movement and the fissiparous internal politics that prevented it from holding together as a movement, leaving it powerless to respond to a full media-panic that irrevocably tarnished squatting's image from the mid-1970s onward. I suggest that this was typified by the contrasting aims of the two key squatter slogans 'Homes for All!", and "No Evictions!", arguing that the first is a fundamentally social democratic aim that any left-wing government could seek to implement, but that the second slogan calls for an end to the rule of law - or at least our conception of property rights, and is therefore revolutionary in its implications. My gloomy conclusion led me to subtitle my research 'An investigation into the causes of the squatting movement's failure'.

Biography:

Among a varied career, including as a fish farmer, advertising executive and history teacher, David spent ten years in the late 1980s and 1990s running projects for homeless people in London and Bristol. He has degrees in both Biology (Southampton 1985) and History (Open University 2004 1st class). Having published an (unsuccessful) utopian novel, he returned to academia in 2018, completing his MA in Modern British Studies (with distinction) at UoB in 2019 - dissertation on squatting in the 1970s. He is currently in his second year of his AHRC M4C funded doctorate researching 'Homelessness under the New Labour Governments 1997-2010'.

*ping! I did cooltan walks a million years ago and remember researching the Brixton faeries a little bit for our gay history walk, and reading about them on here. I know someone up here who used to live at ? st marks?
And it all ticks my general interest boxes.

I'm brilliant at online meetings. Really looking fwd to this.

Occupation is the crux of revolution . Squatting is fantastic , we just need to do it properly . As a traveller (land pirate) I am interested to see if other cultures ; such as Gypsie/ new age are included ... I presume not as the anarchist squatters usually have the tenancy to only look inwards ... and probably discount travellers as hippies or gangsters .

For example .. If you look at the real number of people squatting in this country you really should include all the travellers , and there is a lot of them .

True. Skin from skunk anansie taught me that when I was little :)

Actually ta for the reminder; she's doing a Leeds arts uni thing that I've forgotten to diarise because lost pen and diary xe2a.

I misremembered

oooooo

Oops exciting wrong link postage fixed

And homeless folk. Squatting is sometimes survival, not political, innit.

For a while my crew had an open door policy ...if somebody causes a problem eject them (v much like new age sites) ... it was crazy hard work on the nerves but it sort of worked somtimes . One of the best activists i have met came off the street with ptsd from military.

Unfortunately a lot of people on the streets are in a beat up state and are increadably timid when it comes to the law. It's a great shame because it is the perfect solution for them.

Yep.
Long relevant conversations I've been thinking about all day to be had about loads of strands from your posts.

Last edited:
Oh no ... It's cool ... just found my pass. I reckon they will have it up to stream after tufty .
Bollocks i have are number but no emailed ticket ... must book earlier next time .doh.

Back
Top Bottom