Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Outdoorsy "Sofa".

chilango

Hypothetical Wanker
Come on over. Plonk yourself down, or sit politely. Take a deep breath and relax. Put a brew on. Or sigh with exasperation. Swear if you like. Just don't be mean.

Here on the sofa damp rock - with a puddle just where yer arse is - we can share our knowledge, woes, trials and tribulations about climbing, hiking, camping, or whatever and show off our new garish lycra goretex or ridiculous overspecced stove.

Welcome!

[shamelessly pilfered from the K&S Sofa thread, sorry!]

I'll start you off with this.

The Crotch Pot.

Looks awesome.

cp_3_1024x1024.jpeg

You can buy one.

Make one of them out of lightweight titanium and the seat of cuben fibre and you might be onto something.

i, for one, look forward to buying one for £3000 and spending the rest of my life telling people (and trying to convince myself) that no, its not just a really expensive chair, its a paradigm shifting enabler.

and crying myself to sleep...

has anyone tried the Alpkit Dumo - inflatable sleeping mat thing?

they're out of stock at the mo but i'm considering it for bothy trips, camping and bivys...

I changed to my Autumnal open water swimsuit today and had the most glorious swim followed by a lovely bike ride through fluttering golden leaves. Hopefully this evening we're heading to a bunkhouse for some (very low-key - kids+dog) walking this weekend.

images

they're out of stock at the mo but i'm considering it for bothy trips, camping and bivys...
Haven't tried that one, we've got a couple of these for bikepacking and they've been great. Bit less cushy looking than that but I've slept on a stone bothy floor with it and been fine. Very lightweight too.
Multimat Superlite 25 475g

This is my bikepacking setup

Screenshot_20170922-143400.png

And some snaps from our last big trip in July

Screenshot_20170922-143503.png
Screenshot_20170922-143518.png
Screenshot_20170922-143538.png

:cool: hopefully we'll be off to Glenfinnan for an overnight camping trip at the beginning of October if the weather manages to be favourable :hmm:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170922-143551.png
    Screenshot_20170922-143551.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 4

Heard mutterings about quality issues with this a couple of years back scratch that, that was the Numo is the Dumo new?, but I've yet to be disappointed with Alpkit stuff.

I have (or had, depending upon whether my patch repair works) a Hyalite (ex POE) Peak Elite that I picked up for £20 from TK. It's done me well. Though I've started "borrowing" my wife's Neoair X-Therm which is ridiculously toasty for no weight.

Last edited:
I've bought myself a bike (to replace yet another thieved one - grrr) that is classed as an adventure/gravel bike. I do actually want to ride it off-road, tho know it won't do really gnarly stuff. Does anyone know of a compendium of off-road routes around SE England (easy reach of London) to help me go and try it out before the mud takes over?

Haven't tried that one, we've got a couple of these for bikepacking and they've been great. Bit less cushy looking than that but I've slept on a stone bothy floor with it and been fine. Very lightweight too.
Multimat Superlite 25 475g

Heard mutterings about quality issues with this a couple of years back scratch that, that was the Numo is the Dumo new?, but I've yet to be disappointed with Alpkit stuff.

I have (or had, depending upon whether my patch repair works) a Hyalite (ex POE) Peak Elite that I picked up for £20 from TK. It's done me well. Though I've started "borrowing" my wife's Neoair X-Therm which is ridiculously toasty for no weight.

Cheers both..

I've long been a fan of the self-indulgent mats - I bought my first one in Tiso on Buchanan Street in Glasgow in about 2000 - but I just can't get them to last. I've had Alpkit ones, Thermarests, £20 cheapies, a Vango one and every one of them has punctured within months, (this dear reader is of course because of my vigourous and prolonged love-making, and a not because I'm a fat git who gets banned from bouncy castles...) and I've gone back to using the old style closed cell mats on the basis that they might be crap, but at least they don't break...

However, both old age and Gucci gear syndrome strike, and I want something tasty!

I have the Numo, pretty good for the price/weight. However it seems to have developed a slow puncture last week which I need to try and sort, but it’s had quite a bit of use since I bought it.

Cheers both..

I've long been a fan of the self-indulgent mats - I bought my first one in Tiso on Buchanan Street in Glasgow in about 2000 - but I just can't get them to last. I've had Alpkit ones, Thermarests, £20 cheapies, a Vango one and every one of them has punctured within months, (this dear reader is of course because of my vigourous and prolonged love-making, and a not because I'm a fat git who gets banned from bouncy castles...) and I've gone back to using the old style closed cell mats on the basis that they might be crap, but at least they don't break...

However, both old age and Gucci gear syndrome strike, and I want something tasty!

Exped down mat. Makes sleeping outside luxurious. And not too heavy to carry about in a pack if you get the right model.

I picked up one of these recently, obviously they're not going to be for everyone but for 21 quid, this is an oustanding piece of kit and ive bought a second(!) so thats me for next ten or so years for waterproofs!! British Military Army MTP Lightweight goretex Jacket waterproof Repaired velcro | eBay

E2a you can find them with zips for a few quid more :)

The quality it surprisingly good - both material and build - it's not something to wear under a rucksack for 6 months, but it's pretty comfortable to wear for long periods in crap weather.

I'm pretty sure it's Gore-tex paclite - and you ain't getting a paclite jacket for £40 new..

Its a good example of the massive change in the quality of issued gear: when I went to Bosnia in 1994 the only issued stuff I wore was an Arctic windproof smock, my body armour, helmet and rifle - everything else was a commercial purchase that was light years ahead of what was on offer from the man at Q&M - yet now if you sent me for an aggressive camping holiday in the Bosnian winter the only personal purchase gear I'd take would be a Snugpak Sasquatch and some silk undies. Even the issue winter doss bag is as good as anything you'd buy from Rab for £500...

Getting to the time of year where headtorches become useful. Any recommendations? I've gone through a lot of cheap ones.

Back
Top Bottom