Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The northern boys / Pete n Bas NSFW

It's very weird but they sort of have decent flow and rhymes. Grime heads seem to actually rate them. Can't believe it's all their own work somehow.

Love them. Turns out one of the guys in the Northern Boys is a lad at work's old gym teacher.

Dunno.

They are the age that could be old punks. I can see old punks doing that for a laugh.

There's one line I'm "a bit dubious about". The subtitles say "I sniff glue gun paste, my face is plastic" but to me it sounds like "I'm a racist bastard", so fuck that if I'm right.

But, yeah, Macc Lads, Dirt Box Disco, Hung Like Hanratty.

Oh i thought we were talking about Pete and Bas. Hadn't seen the Northern one - seems a bit shitter. The tunes that Pete and Bas have are decent.

Don't like the Northern Boys. Pete and Bas tunes are incredible though, their flows are simply outstanding (though I'm pretty sure they're just miming too):

New video just dropped from artists ‘nine and Dex’ (aka 91shots and Handsome Dexta, the producers of all Pete and Bas records), they are widely believed to be the creators of Pete and Bas (ghost writers and ghost performers). As you can hear their writing, back and forth and flows are very impressive:

New video just dropped from artists ‘nine and Dex’ (aka 91shots and Handsome Dexta, the producers of all Pete and Bas records), they are widely believed to be the creators of Pete and Bas (ghost writers and ghost performers). As you can hear their writing, back and forth and flows are very impressive:

Thirty-five years after NWA and whoever else was around at the conception of gangsta-shit. Thirty-five! And we’ve still got young men pontificating aggressively and wearing their anti-social behaviours as a badge of honour. It’s so boring.

IMG_0685.jpeg

Mate we’re almost a quarter of the way through the 21st Century and you’re still boasting about: ‘flexing on bitches’ you sad little virgin (probably).

Still, some pretty funny lyrics in there:

‘I’ve got the bag like tinky winky’

‘I ride through twins like Osama did…
I bang my shell like Obama bitch’

I don’t think they take themselves that seriously, they’re mostly just pissing about, showing off their lyrical dexterity - which is objectively very good.

Still, some pretty funny lyrics in there:

‘I’ve got the bag like tinky winky’

‘I ride through twins like Osama did…
I bang my shell like Obama bitch’

I don’t think they take themselves that seriously, they’re mostly just pissing about, showing off their lyrical dexterity - which is objectively very good.

Still circles back to the same old, misogynistic, big-I-am bollocks..

Lyrical dexterity lol

Be great if they had a single fucking thing of any worth to say

Yes, lyrical dexterity - cadence, rhyme-structure, use of similes and metaphors, their back and forth (e.g the way they daisy-chain each others verses) are all very technical and impressive. Are their lyrics shallow and materialistic? Of course, this is trap, complaining that their lyrics lack depth is like complaining about water being wet.

Yes, lyrical dexterity - cadence, rhyme-structure, use of similes and metaphors, their back and forth (e.g the way they daisy-chain each others verses) are all very technical and impressive. Are their lyrics shallow and materialistic? Of course, this is trap, complaining that their lyrics lack depth is like complaining about water being wet.
Not really. Water is essential to life, complaining about it being wet would be absurd. Words promoting avarice, stupidity, misogyny, violence and cruelty are .. I mean, there's no level on which I respect that shit regardless of how well it rhymes.

Rhyming is easy, cadence is easy. Saying something meaningful, useful, informative, profound or touching is harder, but way more valuable.

Celebrating this doggerel as some kind of authentic working class expression is an insult to the working class.

I felt it as fun. not someone pouring out their soul but instead people taking a well understood format and adding a comedic twist to it.
not revolutionary but appreciable.

Victoria Wood of Tim Michin are not Mozart or Bach but that doesn't mean they arnt funny

We're living in a country where many boys are learning to be violent, misogynistic, selfish and cruel. This crap is part of the reason why. I just can't get past that.
I read a lot of this as puncturing the ego of this genre

sometimes the line between satire and tribute is difficult to determine.

admittedly im a fan of the northern boys stuff which is far more self deprecating

Back
Top Bottom