Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Mum Who Got Tourette's - Channel 4

editor

hiraethified
This is powerful stuff. The mother - who has Tourette's - is amazingly upbeat, the husband is brilliant, the family power on regardless (as does the son who also suffers from it) and it's surprisingly heart warming TV that gives a real insight into what must be an awful condition to suffer.

Elizabeth developed Tourette's when she was 40. This personal, fun and moving documentary provides an insight into how an ordinary family deals with an extraordinary condition.

Tic disorders/executive dysfunction things of all kinds can be pretty weird, I have a vocal tic and some physical stuff - not too serious unless I get really stressed, my brother has a tic too, blinking-related thing. We're all wired up a bit unconventionally in our family tbh.

I haven't seen the documentary, I don't tend to watch these "body shock" type things because often they are done in a more "look at the exhibits" way than I would like (tbf C5 is usually worse for that), but I'll give this a go if it was done sensitively and a good watch.

Last edited:
Got this recorded so I don't want to read the thread too much until I watch it.

Lol my father has developed a ''fucker, mother fucker'' tic in the last few years along with a few others that aren't offensive. He SAID that the doc said it was stress related. He seems to be able to control the ''fucker, mother fucker'' tic when the granddkids are about though.....

I haven't seen the documentary, I don't tend to watch these "body shock" type things because often they are done in a more "look at the exhibits" way than I would like (tbf C5 is usually worse for that), but I'll give this a go if it was done sensitively and a good watch.
No, it's nothing like how you describe it. It's funny, beautiful and uplifting.

Tic disorders/executive dysfunction things of all kinds can be pretty weird, I have a vocal tic and some physical stuff - not too serious unless I get really stressed, my brother has a tic too, blinking-related thing. We're all wired up a bit unconventionally in our family tbh.

c5 is well known for their ''ooh look at this'' shows. I'm only gonna wacth(eventually) because my Father has developed tics in recent years.

Got this recorded so I don't want to read the thread too much until I watch it.

Lol my father has developed a ''fucker, mother fucker'' tic in the last few years along with a few others that aren't offensive. He SAID that the doc said it was stress related. He seems to be able to control the ''fucker, mother fucker'' tic when the granddkids are about though.....

Mine is a bit more Father Jack than that - although similar. During deep stress it is uncontrollable, most of the time it is just an occasional slip although sometimes if in public it racks up the stress a bit and that can be a vicious cycle. One thing I learned was that mine can be whispered rather than yelled as a way of exerting some limited control over it in less stressful situations, which is tbh a big help. It just looks as if I have some weird head thing going on rather than yelling obscenities at 120db.

Mine is a bit more Father Jack than that - although similar. During deep stress it is uncontrollable, most of the time it is just an occasional slip although sometimes if in public it racks up the stress a bit and that can be a vicious cycle. One thing I learned was that mine can be whispered rather than yelled as a way of exerting some limited control over it in less stressful situations, which is tbh a big help.

So you can control it a bit? My understanding is that tourettes can't be controlled, and as such I wondered why Father can keep the sweary ones under control when my daughter is around.

So you can control it a bit? My understanding is that tourettes can't be controlled, and as such I wondered why Father can keep the sweary ones under control when my daughter is around.

I don't think I have Tourettes and have never been diagnosed with such, I do have a tic disorder which involves vocal tics - I can't speak about what Tourettes is like but I do have some sympathy and interest as I have similar (btw in Tourettes, coprolalia - uncontrolled swearing - only affects a small number of people with the condition -I believe around 10% of those diagnosed. Motor tics are far more common, but the main feature is issues with executive function. Coprolalia is a little more obvious and makes better TV though).

I don't think I have Tourettes and have never been diagnosed with such, I do have a tic disorder which involves vocal tics - I can't speak about what Tourettes is like but I do have some sympathy and interest as I have similar (btw in Tourettes, coprolalia - uncontrolled swearing - only affects a small number of people with the condition -I believe around 10% of those diagnosed. Motor tics are far more common, but the main feature is issues with executive function. Coprolalia is a little more obvious and makes better TV though).

Ye, I know vocal tics aren't very common through an acquaintance(dead now sadly) who had a severe head tic; like throwing his head about to the point he was in agony.

Anyway, I'll give it a watch because their hasn't been much on the TV over the years about Tourettes.

Tourettes syndrome Tourette syndrome - Wikipedia

Copralalia is really uncommon in sufferers of Tourettes.
Tourettes is a tic disorder.
Which is what I said :D

There could probably be a useful Venn diagram of Tourettes/wider varieties of tic disorder/executive function disorders but I don't have the necessary graphics tools to draw one, not all tic disorders are Tourettes, and Tourettes encompasses other issues.

I saw this when it first aired. I thought the family handled things with hugely supportive good humour. The way they carried on their normal lives was just fantastic.

With some types of tic there can be an element of “you can keep a lid on it until you can’t”, with stress and tiredness draining the battery somewhat.

They are a great family. The husband said he felt it was better to laugh rather than pretend it isn't happening when she said something particularly outrageous. She has tourettes and no point hiding from that.

I was pleased with the way the general public ignored it though.

There's a standup comedian (Jess Thom) who has Tourette's. She did the podcast with that Herring chap.
Worth a listen for some nice insights into the condition and how someone can handle it really positively.

She's also very funny.

edit: here it is

I actually got angry watching this doc thinking of the other famous Tourettes doc John's Not Mad.

Whereas this family were all "its only tourettes, its not the end of the world" John's family treated him as an embarrassment. Poor old John :(

Although in the follow up doc iirc John was a youth worker, had a bunch of mates and was doing ok in life.
He could never really travel though because his tourettes would take on a racial element if he saw a non white person, and he didnt really want to risk it. Even though I'm sure most people would be understanding it only takes one to take umbrage and there would be trouble.

Back
Top Bottom