Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Milkwood Rd Bus Chasm

teuchter

je suis teuchter
Was just looking at and old map of tram routes including the one that used to run up Milkwood Rd between Loughborough Junction and Herne Hill.

Brought to mind what I've noted for a while, namely that getting from LJ to Herne Hill (and beyond - Tulse Hill, Norwood etc) by public transport is a pain (excepting the train line which is not that frequent and doesn't run late). If you want to do it by bus the route is very circuitous - either all the way into Brixton and out again, or all the way down to Camberwell and out again.

So why wasn't that tram route replaced with a bus when it was withdrawn, eh? We was robbed.

Far more suitable for bus traffic than Railton Road for instance- not that I'm suggesting Railton Road shouldn't have a bus route through it.

Is there a low bridge somewhere on the route? The one on Thurlow Park Road is too low for double deckers for example.

Double decker trams seemed to manage it fine.

milkwood.jpg

Ideally the bus route would come down Milkwood Rd, then Loughborough Rd and down to Oval somehow, filling in what's another gap in direct travel options from LJ.

Far more suitable for bus traffic than Railton Road for instance- not that I'm suggesting Railton Road shouldn't have a bus route through it.
What number bus runs the length of Railton? It's not very frequent, is it?

And at weekends there is invariably a bottleneck at the end of Atlantic Road more or less opposite Kaff, as cars will park on the single yellow line and there is not enough space for both directions of traffic to cross. Being so close to the junction, chaos invariably ensues from Friday evening to Sunday night.

I used to live on Milkwood Road and it was a pain. I think the 204 should be extended down to Loughborough Junction.

Was just looking at and old map of tram routes including the one that used to run up Milkwood Rd between Loughborough Junction and Herne Hill.

Brought to mind what I've noted for a while, namely that getting from LJ to Herne Hill (and beyond - Tulse Hill, Norwood etc) by public transport is a pain (excepting the train line which is not that frequent and doesn't run late). If you want to do it by bus the route is very circuitous - either all the way into Brixton and out again, or all the way down to Camberwell and out again.

So why wasn't that tram route replaced with a bus when it was withdrawn, eh? We was robbed.
What do you mean not that frequent?!

During the day there is a train service with intervals of between 3 and 12 minutes. And it only takes 4 minutes. Better than any bus is going to be.

Granted it all winds down about 9pm (20 mins between trains) but it's still really not that difficult to get from one to the other.

Last edited:
What do you mean not that frequent?!

During the day there is a train service with intervals of between 3 and 12 minutes. And it only takes 4 minutes. Better than any bus is going to be.

Granted it all winds down about 9pm (20 mins between trains) but it's still really not that difficult to get from one to the other.
No, between LJ and Herne Hill, with the exception of the peak periods, the frequency is every 15 minutes, until about 9pm when it is 30 minutes. And from 11pm it stops completely.

Compare with, say, the no. 2 bus which has a frequency of about 7 minutes during the day.

If you want to get from LJ to West Norwood (the destination of the tram route) it will take you 25 minutes with a change, and the frequency is effectively every half hour.

No, between LJ and Herne Hill, with the exception of the peak periods, the frequency is every 15 minutes, until about 9pm when it is 30 minutes. And from 11pm it stops completely.

Compare with, say, the no. 2 bus which has a frequency of about 7 minutes during the day.

If you want to get from LJ to West Norwood (the destination of the tram route) it will take you 25 minutes with a change, and the frequency is effectively every half hour.
Fair point about peak periods but every 15 minutes for a five minute journey is pretty decent. And more predictable than bus timings.

Back
Top Bottom