Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The greenwash thread

stavros

I've noticed quite a few adverts recently extolling the green credentials of various brands. Car manufacturers are pushing their supposed "non-polluting" models very hard, and Brewdog claim to be the world's first carbon negative brewery (done via tree-planting offsetting, it turns out).

I also saw one yesterday from McDonald's. Yes, McDonalds, who've littered our streets and footpaths for decades, and whose business model is based around processed red meat.

This is the thread to note your own observations of this phenomenon.

The big motor companies would do better to develop and sell cheapish/easy conversions of their existing ICE cars to electric.

(I have a view that a lot of people are holding back from buying new cars in order to wait for better/cheaper electric models to come on the market, too, or to wait for the electric/hydrogen argument to run it's course.)

And there was a proposed housing development round here that was banging on about its green credentials, cos they were going to cover a field in solar panels. If they'd covered every house with solar tiles (and pointed the roofs the right way), they wouldn't have needed the solar farm.

I do not understand why it isn't illegal to build anything without solar on its roof. Except capitalism/tories etc.

I've noticed quite a few adverts recently extolling the green credentials of various brands. Car manufacturers are pushing their supposed "non-polluting" models very hard, and Brewdog claim to be the world's first carbon negative brewery (done via tree-planting offsetting, it turns out).

I also saw one yesterday from McDonald's. Yes, McDonalds, who've littered our streets and footpaths for decades, and whose business model is based around processed red meat.

This is the thread to note your own observations of this phenomenon.
Here's the Brewdog cunts actually out in the field greenwashing:

1635108457097.png

“We make our bottles/packaging/xyz out of recycled plastic”

First, offer incentives to return used bottles

Second, stop making them out of plastic

You cunts.
Years ago, we had a newsagents shop. (glass) Bottles of Corona (fizzy drinks) had a 5p deposit on them. The
bottles were returned and reused. These days, glass gets turned into road coverings.

Fucking Carlsberg show all the plastic beer can holders that (I presume) they've been producing for years suddenly becoming dangerous traps for poor marine life and they're world saviours for not doing it any more. :(

Glass uses way more energy to recycle than plastic does. :(
Yes, but people feel virtuous when they boast about how much plastic they avoid using and ignoring the real environmental costs if their dinky little tote bags. And don't dare talk about the way that plastic packaging can prevent fruit and vegetables from being damaged and so rotting more quickly.

This thread is about boasting about good green-wash.

Call me a silly billy if I'm wrong, but expecting purely profit-seeking entities to do the right thing solely out of the goodness of their non-existent hearts would seem to be especially ineffective, no?
Exactly right; why their empty posturing so infuriating.

Joe Lycett vs the Oil Giant, was on C-4 the other night, focusing on greenwashing by Shell, no doubt you can catch-up with it on All-4.

He even dressed-up as Shell's CEO for his version of a Shell TV ad, I wouldn't recommend watching it when eating, shit pours from his mouth. :D

There are two kinds of greenwashing. The first involves corporations making us believe that their products are environmentally sustainable. It’s what Derren Brown calls misdirection of attention. For instance, if you based your opinion solely on Shell’s publicity material and TV ads – all solar panels, wind turbines and bicycles – you might think it was quite a different company to the one it is. Nor would you guess that only $900m of its annual investment pot of $116bn goes towards renewable energy.

You might think that Shell’s vow to go carbon neutral by 2050 shows how environmentally conscious it is rather than this move being the result of a Dutch court’s ruling this spring ordering the company to reduce its emissions by 45% by 2030. You wouldn’t know that Fatih Birol, the executive director of the International Energy Authority, recently called on the company to stop drilling for new oilfields, stressing that governments must stop all new oil and gas investments from this year in order to curb global heating.

It'll be interesting to see if any advertisers try to put a green spin on the annual festival of consumerism approaching in about eight weeks time.

Fucking Carlsberg show all the plastic beer can holders that (I presume) they've been producing for years suddenly becoming dangerous traps for poor marine life and they're world saviours for not doing it any more. :(
This ^ 🙄

The scum have already done the damage and now they are (tax free) marketing that they are saving what is past saving. Plus their new 'environmental' four pack is shit and falls apart in a flash.

Cunts

I noticed a DHL van the other day, plastered with livery claiming it was carbon neutral. If we assume it was electric it's very unlikely to source all its energy from renewables, as it probably comes from the Grid.

I noticed a DHL van the other day, plastered with livery claiming it was carbon neutral. If we assume it was electric it's very unlikely to source all its energy from renewables, as it probably comes from the Grid.
It wasn't DHL; it was DPD.

Amazon have an ad on telly at the moment, extolling their green virtues. I'm sure whatever they do offsets their tiny contribution to rampant consumerism.

On a brief lunchtime stroll today I picked up a littered Evian bottle, which boasted that it was made from 100% recycled plastic. I guess the next step is to develop a way to get water without using any sort of plastic...

On a brief lunchtime stroll today I picked up a littered Evian bottle, which boasted that it was made from 100% recycled plastic. I guess the next step is to develop a way to get water without using any sort of plastic...
Most of the water pipes these days are plastic. :(

Dig a well and use a metal bucket?

Easy Jet are now claiming that they're offsetting the carbon from all their flights. Any scientific backing for this?

Back
Top Bottom