Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The football manager thread

BristolEcho

Anyone else play?

I bought the full fat version for the first time since 2016 which I hated. This is the most I've played it since 2014 and I'm quite impressed overall.

Currently playing as Braga. Expectations were to break into the top 3 as a must. Europe was a total failure as I fell to a group of Antwerp, Red Star, and AZ. We also started slowly in the league, but after a while results picked up and the second half of the season we lost 2 games. Unfortunately we finished on 70 points missing out on the top 4 on goal difference to Porto and Sporting..... Ouch.

Jack Wilshire was shit, but I've brought in some good young talent and despite a few stars wanting out I'm confident we can improve next year. Settled on a 4-3-3 DM in the end. Board agreed to keep me on and also downgraded my aims for the season to finish 4th. Hope to break to the top 3 though.

Anyone else play?

I bought the full fat version for the first time since 2016 which I hated. This is the most I've played it since 2014 and I'm quite impressed overall.

Currently playing as Braga. Expectations were to break into the top 3 as a must. Europe was a total failure as I fell to a group of Antwerp, Red Star, and AZ. We also started slowly in the league, but after a while results picked up and the second half of the season we lost 2 games. Unfortunately we finished on 70 points missing out on the top 4 on goal difference to Porto and Sporting..... Ouch.

Jack Wilshire was shit, but I've brought in some good young talent and despite a few stars wanting out I'm confident we can improve next year. Settled on a 4-3-3 DM in the end. Board agreed to keep me on and also downgraded my aims for the season to finish 4th. Hope to break to the top 3 though.
Buy Queresma

Buy Queresma

He's 37 now. :) Can't remember whose he's playing for but was doing well for the them from the stats I saw. I need to sort out the backroom team and the other squads are overloaded so will trim that down while trying to hold on to a few of my good players. Not sure on the new scout system to be honest.

FM2000-01. Won the Champions League with Bury in 2024. The real turning point in the mid/late 2000s was the season playing a 3-4-1-2 with a 39 year old Zinedine Zidane in the hole.

Their actual real life couldn't have gone much more in the opposite direction.

I've had a shocking lack of success on these games to be honest. I was quite young when the CM's came out and so wasn't great. Then had crap computers for FM so it was hard to ever do more than a couple of seasons.

FM14 I got Sheffield Wednesday promoted and had Greenock at the top of the SPL. My favourite game was Conahs Quay though I never broke the TNS hold.

I took Lancaster City from the Conference North to EUFA Cup glory and third in the Prem in FM2007. Ryan Zico Black as Captain, the only player who stayed all 7 seasons with me.

He's 37 now. :) Can't remember whose he's playing for but was doing well for the them from the stats I saw. I need to sort out the backroom team and the other squads are overloaded so will trim that down while trying to hold on to a few of my good players. Not sure on the new scout system to be honest.

In real life he is at Vitória de Guimarães sometimes called S.C Vitoria . They are 5th in the League , they've also got a couple of young English players Maddox from Chelsea and Marcus Edward who was at Spurs.

I bought Championship Manager 2007 during lockdown (only £2.99) and got Notts County to 5th in the league and FA and UEFA cup finals. Have just packed it in as there was a bug in the fixture list that meant I had to play the final four games of the season in four days, two of those games being finals.

Might get the trial of FM 2021 to see if my old laptop can handle it, hopefully the 2020 version will be going cheap soon!

In real life he is at Vitória de Guimarães sometimes called S.C Vitoria . They are 5th in the League , they've also got a couple of young English players Maddox from Chelsea and Marcus Edward who was at Spurs.

There's a fair amount of British talent in Portugal. Ryan Gauld being another one but unclear if he will make it. I can definitely see the attraction!

Currently doing well with Braga in second season.

There's a fair amount of British talent in Portugal. Ryan Gauld being another one but unclear if he will make it. I can definitely see the attraction!

Currently doing well with Braga in second season.
Gauld is promising , he’s at Farense which is the nearest top flight team to me .

How much is Football Manager these days? I used to be addicted to Championship Manager in the 1990s, playing nocturnally whilst my family were asleep and then sleeping half the daytime. Was the most addictive thing I have ever tried and I miss it!

Gauld is promising , he’s at Farense which is the nearest top flight team to me .

Ah didn't realise you were in Portugal! As I said I can definitely see the attraction of moving there as a pro.

How much is Football Manager these days? I used to be addicted to Championship Manager in the 1990s, playing nocturnally whilst my family were asleep and then sleeping half the daytime. Was the most addictive thing I have ever tried and I miss it!

I got it for £30. There is a mobile version too which I liked and is £8. There is also the touch version which is a condensed version of the ridiculously detailed full fat version.

Still got it! I've been half following the league results this year though I usually do that when managing somewhere on this. Had a bit of a thing for the Welsh league since a game there.

While here I just won the championship with Braga the other day after 3 seasons. :)

4.5 years with Braga saw me win the league and not completely shame ourselves in the Champions League. We also finished runners up in the Europa League to Arsenal.

I've lost my way a bit in this next season. After losing Galeno and Horta last year we are in a transition and sat in 7th in the League. Threw away a good position in the CL to finish 3rd in a group of Inter, Man United and Schalke. I can feel it's a bit stale and might be a good time to start with something fresh then come back to it with fresh eyes.

Started a new game with Chippenham Town. They look awful in the Blue Square South so should be a good challenge. Not sure my initial 3-5-2 is going to work but we'll see. Might spend a bit more time on CK3 before coming back to it though.

Yes Yes.

Football Manager.png

Easily my longest game on football manager heading into my 10th Season now. No doubt the Pro's would have been long dominating now. I've had a fair amount of beef with the Benfica boss and we beat them in the last 3 games which was sweet.

We actually won an initial Championship after 3 years but I think that was a fluke as we did it with 70 points and Benfica and Porto were miles behind. We actually finished 5th two seasons later and I almost walked halfway through but felt it was a transition season after losing some players. We followed that up with a Euro II win and then my team started to come together. Also got to later stage CL and a European Cup final.

In terms of players Galeno is the only one from the original squad. We sold him to Madrid for £45m but in typical Madrid fashion they didn't use him and I had him back on loan for 4 seasons at a cost of around £14m and he scored over 100 goals with us. He is 31 now and I passed up the chance to get him on a free which was a tough decision.

I've really enjoyed this version. There are some annoying features and press conferences etc remain redundant. I have changed my tactic a few times according to my team and the biggest satisfaction was sorting out the defence something I've never managed to do on FM. Bringing in Filip Benkovic (free) and Ben Godfry (£30m) with a regan goalkeeper really gave us a strong back line and I stopped my midfield from leaving them so exposed which resulted in consistently conceding under 30 goals in a season recently. Not bad when we were conceding 35+ at the start.

Dele Ali was the first big name player we bought. He was probably slightly to old at 29 to spend £30m on but he managed 20 goals in 45 games. Sadly an injury finished him off and I've just let him go to Celtic still paying £28k in wages. Can't say he was worth it.

Going to stick with Braga for a bit. The board wont move stadium which is fine as it's a great ground, but it does limit us and you can't expand with mountains either side.

I'm tempted to start a new game as Bolton at some point and then maybe another Welsh or Irish league run.

FM 22 is out today, across PC, Xbox, and Phones (and I think switch).

Anyway, I'm playing it on my phone - it's boss to play when skiving/time management exercises.
Seems a bit tougher than the other two I've played (20 and 21), but they were embarrassingly easy (getting Clitheroe into the Prem easy.
But I've no idea what it's like on other platforms (there's no way I can afford a gaming laptop, and I'm a PS4 man, so...).

I'm going to hold off getting the PC version as I am still on my ten year Braga team. I've dominated the league this year, but despite throwing a lot of money at contracts I think I am going to lose a few key players this summer when we move into our next ground so I want to see if I can keep it going and we can win a Champions League. I am tempted to rely even more on the club youth team and to filed a x11 that are only one club players for a season, but we'll see. Benfica have imploded which has been funny.

I may swerve '22.

I like what they've done to FMM this year especially the scouting and ensuring AI teams by decent players. Again I currently have a save with crystal palace on the last one so I'm not rushing into it.

20211225175455_1.jpg

Unbeaten :) Still plugging away with this as I quite like the world that's built, lots of regans and new talents that have come through. Foden is retired. Semi Finals of Champions League again. :(

Going to lose two of my best players too so it might be that we struggle next year. Benfica to come back maybe too.

Back
Top Bottom