Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The best fish fingers

Have to admit I’ve never seen the great love for fish fingers as an adult comfort food, ate them as a kid like everyone else but doubt I’ve eaten any since I was about 12
This. And now they're what the kids eat when he have something too grown up for them.

However, mrs maomao still likes them and if she ever complains about anything I cook I remind her she was living on fish finger sandwiches till I swept her off her feet.

Cod fish fingers are watery because cod is watery, which is why sensible people eat haddock.
I prefer haddock for that reason. Good cod isn't that watery, but by adding sodium tripolyphosphate it will hold more water. Adding this was common practice in the fishfinger making factory where I worked.

I prefer haddock for that reason. Good cod isn't that watery, but by adding sodium tripolyphosphate it will hold more water. Adding this was common practice in the fishfinger making factory where I worked.

How long ago was that? I have just looked through the ingredients list of 10 different packs from different manufacturers of fish fingers and other battered fish that I would consider buying, and do not see it as an ingredient in any of the items I buy or would consider buying.

(My OH worked in a mince pie factory 30 years ago and it took him a good 20 years to recover and eat a mince pie again).

Have to admit I’ve never seen the great love for fish fingers as an adult comfort food, ate them as a kid like everyone else but doubt I’ve eaten any since I was about 12
Until I read this I’ve been unaware they are only for kids! They should print that on the packet to stop other adults making the same mistake I’ve been making in continuing to eat them all these years!

To compound my embarrassing error, I even have multiple meals I have been enjoying them with:

Fish finger sandwich with brown sauce (lunch)
Fish fingers, boiled potatoes and lemon dill (packet) sauce
And the unbeatable all time classic - fish fingers, mash, fried eggs and both ketchup and HP sauce on the side.

More fool me! :p

How long ago was that? I have just looked through the ingredients list of 10 different packs from different manufacturers of fish fingers and other battered fish that I would consider buying, and do not see it as an ingredient in any of the items I buy or would consider buying.

(My OH worked in a mince pie factory 30 years ago and it took him a good 20 years to recover and eat a mince pie again).
I worked on a fruit farm when I was a teenager picking raspberries for a jam manufacturer. What was considered an acceptable "berry" for jam really surprised me so I avoided the brand for years. I think it was Tiptree but could be wrong as it was so long ago now. I can only assume the added sugar and colouring made up for the poor quality ingredients.

It is a while. It had an alternative name which I can't remember. I'll look it up.

It is a while. It had an alternative name which I can't remember. I'll look it up.

This is the ingredient list for the cheap ones in the Bird's Eye range that I tend to buy:

Alaska Pollock (Fish) (58%), Breadcrumb Coating*, Sunflower Oil, *Breadcrumb Coating (Wheat Flour, Water, Potato Starch, Salt, Paprika, Yeast, Turmeric)

And this is for the super cheap (69p for a pack of 10) Morrison's Saver ones (they don't have a great texture I think because it is minced offcuts, I prefer the Bird's Eye ones):

Minced Alaska Pollock (Fish) (58%), Fortified Wheat Flour (Wheat Flour, Iron, Thiamin, Nicotinic Acid, Calcium Carbonate), Sunflower Oil, Water, Yeast, Salt, Colours (Paprika Extract, Curcumin), Turmeric

This is the ingredient list for the cheap ones in the Bird's Eye range that I tend to buy:

Alaska Pollock (Fish) (58%), Breadcrumb Coating*, Sunflower Oil, *Breadcrumb Coating (Wheat Flour, Water, Potato Starch, Salt, Paprika, Yeast, Turmeric)

And this is for the super cheap (69p for a pack of 10) Morrison's Saver ones (they don't have a great texture I think because it is minced offcuts, I prefer the Bird's Eye ones):

Minced Alaska Pollock (Fish) (58%), Fortified Wheat Flour (Wheat Flour, Iron, Thiamin, Nicotinic Acid, Calcium Carbonate), Sunflower Oil, Water, Yeast, Salt, Colours (Paprika Extract, Curcumin), Turmeric
That's good. It isn't in either. I'd assume that the cheapest are the mechanically recovered fish. This came from the bones, etc. The machines were very efficient at getting every last possible bit of fish off.

Best so far (Aldi).

20220603_135649.jpg

Besides being delicious, they are the perfect size for 3 to exactly fill a sandwich made with standard sliced bread, and sold in an amount divisible by 3. Germans think of every detail.

Not had fishfingers for years - might buy some and see if they work in the airfryer. In the past I always tended to cook the entire pack and eat it in one go.

Best so far (Aldi).

View attachment 327934

Besides being delicious, they are the perfect size for 3 to exactly fill a sandwich made with standard sliced bread, and sold in an amount divisible by 3. Germans think of every detail.

And still made in Europe too - in Bremerhaven:

I see they do tours for the real aficionados! :)

Most UK market manufacturers now ship their North Sea/Atlantic landings to the Far East (notably Thailand and China) for processing/manufacture before shipping it all back for sale in the UK.

Suppose you could put them on some lightly oiled foil to prevent that.
If you can manage that without blocking the air circulation around the food, on which air frying relies. If you crack it, let me know, as I’d like to find a good way to get fish fingers done in the airfryer. It’s just that practical problem of the coating falling off which has been tripping me up.

If you can manage that without blocking the air circulation around the food, on which air frying relies. If you crack it, let me know, as I’d like to find a good way to get fish fingers done in the airfryer. It’s just that practical problem of the coating falling off which has been tripping me up.
Maybe make foil strings by srunching it up - so there are maybe a few strings in the bottom supporting the fishfingers with little surface contact, and it would still allow the air to circulate.

Back
Top Bottom