Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The best fish fingers

keybored

Well done. You remember cat good.
What are the best frozen fish fingers, in terms of taste?

I have all four big supermarkets nearby and a couple of Co-ops. I don't want to attempt to make my own fish fingers tonight (maybe another time).

If it matters, they will be going in brown bread sandwiches with ketchup or tartar sauce. Maybe some posh salad leaves if there are any available.

I don't buy them all that often and usually just stick to Birdseye but I feel I may be missing out on better ones.

Lidl closes in ten minutes and Waitrose is too far. I'll try those another night, ta.

Also neither sell Thatchers.

Oh god I saw a TikTok where someone squashed one under a microscope and you could see all the little worms. Tbf I think it was a reconstituted one not one of the ones with actual whole fish. But… I dunno :(

I can’t give specific recommendations on brand, etc. just to say I’ve long thought the cheaper fish fingers make a more satisfying sandwich as the ratio of breadcrumbs to fish is higher. Gives a good crunch in a sandwich, and also the flavour of a FF comes largely from the breadcrumb coating.

ps.. you’re wrong, just wrong. It’s brown sauce in a FF sarnie, not red :p:p

They were a bit underwhelming, the tempura batter claim was also bollocks.

Trolling isn't allowed in this forum.
Just about everything on the box arouses my suspicions. The homely harbour of 1805, Ye Olde Companie, the cheap(er) batter posing as some trendy alternative, 100% fillet. :(

Last edited:
I usually get the cheapest of the Bird's Eye range, they are just what you want for a dirty fish finger sarnie.

It NEEDS to be breaded not battered fish fingers for a sandwich, the crunch of the breadcrumbs in soft bread is the main event.

I usually get the cheapest of the Bird's Eye range, they are just what you want for a dirty fish finger sarnie.

It NEEDS to be breaded not battered fish fingers for a sandwich, the crunch of the breadcrumbs in soft bread is the main event.
Budget fish fingers on white bread, one slice coated in ketchup the other in tartare sauce. Squeeze of lemon on fish fingers too. Nom nom.
We like these from Sainsbury’s for eating with chips or salad or spuds.
DAC8E379-D010-485E-8B17-FA71DB9E2BC5.jpeg

Budget fish fingers on white bread, one slice coated in ketchup the other in tartare sauce. Squeeze of lemon on fish fingers too. Nom nom.
We like these from Sainsbury’s for eating with chips or salad or spuds.
View attachment 286980

Personally I like my sarnie with white thick sliced bread and nothing but thick salted butter and the fish fingers - so the butter melts all over the bread and the fish fingers, bloody lush, no need for other condiments :D

I only eat fish fingers in sandwiches, I put this down to being fed fish fingers a lot as a child, with plain boiled potatoes and peas - we were always fed, but not always very imaginatively and that was a once a week meal and probably my least favourite one. (My mum's cheese and onion flan was a firm favourite though and I still make that sometimes, she always has been excellent at pastry and baking).

I've worked in a factory producing fishfingers, as has Mrs D. The only ones we eat are either home made or Lidl hake ones.

And the "worms" are more likely to be fish than actual worms. When fish is sufficiently closely examined it does look a little worms like. Most worms will have been removed at processing. What you might find is membrane or bits of fin or other bits of mechanically recovered fish. This is in cheap fishfingers. The other thing to look for in the ingredients is sodium tripolyphosphate. This helps the fish retain water, thus increasing the product weight.

Have to admit I’ve never seen the great love for fish fingers as an adult comfort food, ate them as a kid like everyone else but doubt I’ve eaten any since I was about 12

Have to admit I’ve never seen the great love for fish fingers as an adult comfort food, ate them as a kid like everyone else but doubt I’ve eaten any since I was about 12
fish fingers, chips, and heinz beans are what i grew up on.

lovely.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom