Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The all new toaster recommendation thread

fractionMan

Custom Title
I've been through two toasters in two years. The current one now refuses to pop up toast when done. The bloody bastard.

So please, recommend me a 4 slice toaster that won't cost the earth but won't fall to bits in a few months time.

The current one has 4.5/5 over 102 reviews on argos and is still shit. So I don't trust reviews when it comes to longevity.

Last edited:
All the best toasters not costing silly money tend to be two-slice. You might be better with with 2x two-slice ones.

e.g Bosch only make two-slice ones

I have this got it for £19
41tF8fYKZqL.jpg

Need four slicer for kids breakfast. Don't think 2 x 2 slicers will go down well.

All the best toasters not costing silly money tend to be two-slice. You might be better with with 2x two-slice ones.

e.g Bosch only make two-slice ones

I have this got it for £19
41tF8fYKZqL.jpg

I've got one and it's lasted for more than 12 years with just one replacement part (new timer dial). I think it was worth the money.
Mine that I got as a housewarming present when we moved into this house, 19 years ago, is still going strong. Occasional new elements - easy to fit in minutes.

Edit to add: Blimey, they're expensive now!!! :eek:

Mine that I got as a housewarming present when we moved into this house, 19 years ago, is still going strong. Occasional new elements - easy to fit in minutes.

Edit to add: Blimey, they're expensive now!!! :eek:

Innit. I think mine was half that, but a long time ago. I do think it's worth spending money on kitchen staples tbh, if possible. I also have a Cuisinart blender and Kitchenaid mixer and they are both going strong after 10+ years. The mixers are really dear now but if you like cooking you have to see it as an investment. Most people spend the equivalent or more on a phone tbf.

Don't fuck about with toasters, get a decent quality one. A flat mate bought a cheap 2 slice toaster - it makes the kitchen 5% more depressing.

I really want a 4 slice toaster - why are they so damn expensive? There are 2 of us and we want 2 slices each, ready for when the eggs are done, not with one set of toast sitting going cold while the next is cooked.

And anyone who suggests that I should cook our breakfasts/lunches separately is going to get short shrift, just saying :hmm:

I really want a 4 slice toaster - why are they so damn expensive? There are 2 of us and we want 2 slices each, ready for when the eggs are done, not with one set of toast sitting going cold while the next is cooked.

And anyone who suggests that I should cook our breakfasts/lunches separately is going to get short shrift, just saying :hmm:
There's a few Russell Hobbs 4 slice ones at argos for under £25

Buy 4 Toasters at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Home+and+Garden.

There's a few Russell Hobbs 4 slice ones at argos for under £25

Buy 4 Toasters at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Home+and+Garden.

Cheers, I'll have a look at that. tbf, my Russell Hobbs 2 slice toaster has done a grand job with my toast for nearly 25 years now, just wary of replacing it because "they don't make them like they used to" (which can be applied to all brands of anything from toasters to cars, via cookers, fridges, freezers, washing machines etc. ) :D

Main issue with a 2 slice toaster, breakfast/brunch/lunch for 2 has to be staggered, and someone's eggs are always in danger of ending up overdone whilst waiting for toast batch #2 to be done.

Last edited:
I never thought I'd do this, but I'm looking at Dualits. I'm fed up with toasters breaking and like the idea of replacable coils. Not the super expensive ones, but their new sub £100 ones. There's two, the lite and the architect:

dualit-lite-toaster-4-slot-peek-andpop.jpg

17101146-origpic-914bb0.jpg

Anyone got one of these?

I have the two-slot model of the dualit (I'm guessing the "light" model from your pics above) and it's by far the best toaster I've ever used, let alone owned. Was very much pulling a "how much?!" face when the missus pointed it out but in a year of service it's given us no problems.

Pros:
Controls have a very solid feel
Controls actually seem to do something, i.e. there's actually a setting in-between "nope, still bread" and "Pompeii"
You can check your hair for toast crumbs in the shiny metal bit

Cons:
The nice solid ka-choonk noise it makes can occasionally scare the cat
You will start spouting your mouth off like you're some sort of authority on toasters, all the while spraying everyone with toast crumbs. Eventually you will become known to your friends as "that obnoxiously smug chap who can't shut up about dualits".

I have ordered the red dualit lite for £78 quid. I look forward to 15 years of top quality, well cooked toast.

I am now officially 'aspiring' middle class and the envy of my middle class friends with less fashionable toasters. Except the ones with the more expensive model. They will feel sorry for me.

Back
Top Bottom