Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The All New Dedicated Kinks Thread

Brilliant. Plastic Man has one of the best guitar riffs ever and combined with that chirpy accent of Davies is fantastic, just makes you grin from ear to ear. Love Me Till The Sun Shines is one of the best B-sides ever recorded.

NEW BANDS: you don't have to emo to be sing about morose subjects.

You don't have to sleep with me
Or rest your head upon my knee
You just have to love me till the sun shines
Baby you can wear my clothes,
Play my records, stay at my home
Long as you just love me till the sun shines

You can take it, I don't mind
Please don't be such a helpless kind
You just have to love me till the sun shines

Mindless Child of Motherhood is another one with great riffs.

They are lovely. Those who've never heard Shangri-La should go forthwith to the link above and do their ears a favour. A great song from a great album.

Lola Vs the Powerman and the Money-go-round - every song a winner, Arthur, another great album, Percy has great songs too - so much good stuff!

The Village Green Preservation Society. What a bloody great album. Can't believe this didn't chart upon it's initial 1968 release

Village Green Preservation Society, Dead End Street, Autumn Almanac, Victoria.

One of the defining experiences of my youth, in Merthyr rugby club, absolutely packed, with guys along rows of old red formica tables - and this guy called Rocky Edwards standing on the table singing 'Dead End Street' with a beer bottle as a 'mike'.

I was about 17, and thought - "so thats what being a man is all about":oops::D

Also love the early RnB stuff - Come on Now, Everybodys Gonna Be Happy, All Day and All of the Night.

Possibly THE great forgotten band....:cool:

Heh. Forgotten about that one. Haven't heard it for years! :)
icon8.gif
icon14.gif

I was luck enough to see them back in like 1985 or so at Cobo Arena with only around 7,000 people. It was a small indoor venue and the concert was unbelievable. They were great.

missed this thread first time around! But yeah - great band, as well as the well known classics, they had loads of lesser known gems -

This was the b-side of dead end street - a classic Ray Davies miniature social melodrama. Best song about a teenage runaway ever?

Back
Top Bottom