Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Terry Venables rip

hash tag

Reaching out
Sad news. A real cheeky chappie, a bit of a del boy. I remember some happy times with him at Palace both as a player and a coach. Though saying that, hid did take the piss when Goldberg brought him back and we went bust.

Definitely a bit of of del boy (tel boy?). Had a weird stint at Middlesbrough as shared manager with Robson that felt weird.

RIP

Definitely one of the old school style of managers.
Ahead of his time though.

In an era where 4-3-3 is the preferred formation Guardiola has his City team dominating by having 4 central midfielders (John Stones stepping forward from centre back). Back in the 4-4-2 era, England Euro 96 - Gareth Southgate playing as centre half, but in possession he'd be a centre midfielder so our 3 in the middle (with Ince, Gascoigne) would outnumber their 2. Gary Neville and Stuart Pearce playing as narrow fullbacks, in exactly the same way Kyle Walker and Ake/Gvardiol do for City now.

Venables was definitely old school in his man management, his media and his PR, but as a tactical manager he was sharp as a tack.

El Tel, you'll be missed.

Mrs D, who is not even vaguely interested in football, told me of his death. When I asked if she knew who he was she said she did. That's how big a name and character he was.

RIP

The Guardian has done a Life in Pictures:

Ahead of his time though.

In an era where 4-3-3 is the preferred formation Guardiola has his City team dominating by having 4 central midfielders (John Stones stepping forward from centre back). Back in the 4-4-2 era, England Euro 96 - Gareth Southgate playing as centre half, but in possession he'd be a centre midfielder so our 3 in the middle (with Ince, Gascoigne) would outnumber their 2. Gary Neville and Stuart Pearce playing as narrow fullbacks, in exactly the same way Kyle Walker and Ake/Gvardiol do for City now.

Venables was definitely old school in his man management, his media and his PR, but as a tactical manager he was sharp as a tack.

El Tel, you'll be missed.
Yeah, Lineker has been saying much the same in his interviews today. I think Guardiola may have been in the youth ranks when Venables was at Barca, so it'll be interesting to hear any comment from him.

That Euro 96 team was very attacking, with Gazza, McManaman, Anderton, Sheringham and Shearer.

RIp. He was the Palace manager when I started supporting them, will always be grateful for that brief period we were top of league.
And Euro 96 of course.

It is less well known that he co-wrote Hazell, a TV detective series with Nicolas Ball.

Achieved a lot and had very goog people skills. Novelist also. Suspect the dodginess got in the way of achieving a lot more as manager.

That period as England Manager was so exiting - I didn't go to any matches but there was a great atmosphere in London, and in the country , particularly when we beat Holland 4-1 . He inspired that team, he dealt with Gazza , maybe indulged him, but he got that goal. It was a pity he had to leave the job - he resigned due to his 'chequered' business past :hmm: who knows what might have happened at the 98 World Cup. Had a decent club pedigree too, particularly Palace, Spurs and Barcelona.

RIP El Tel

That period as England Manager was so exiting - I didn't go to any matches but there was a great atmosphere in London, and in the country , particularly when we beat Holland 4-1 . He inspired that team, he dealt with Gazza , maybe indulged him, but he got that goal. It was a pity he had to leave the job - he resigned due to his 'chequered' business past :hmm: who knows what might have happened at the 98 World Cup. Had a decent club pedigree too, particularly Palace, Spurs and Barcelona.

RIP El Tel
He managed to keep Darren Anderton fit for a whole five consecutive games.

Yeah, Lineker has been saying much the same in his interviews today. I think Guardiola may have been in the youth ranks when Venables was at Barca, so it'll be interesting to hear any comment from him.

That Euro 96 team was very attacking, with Gazza, McManaman, Anderton, Sheringham and Shearer.

Fair to say Pep was a big fan.

Great photo of Guardiola as a 15 year old, watching El Tel being celebrated for winning a European Cup Semi Final.

PepVenables84.jpg

Back
Top Bottom