Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tell me about Gloucester

Elpenor

Dancing as fast as I can
So I am spending a Saturday night in a few weeks time at a premier inn in Gloucester. Possibly the Friday night too in fact.

What is there to see and do? I’ll have the Sunday free for a look around, and perhaps the Saturday morning too.

The only thing I know of Gloucester is the events relating to 25, Cromwell Street.

So I am spending a Saturday night in a few weeks time at a premier inn in Gloucester. Possibly the Friday night too in fact.

What is there to see and do? I’ll have the Sunday free for a look around, and perhaps the Saturday morning too.

The only thing I know of Gloucester is the events relating to 25, Cromwell Street.
If it's the one at Barnwood then the food in the Wheatstone Inn next doors is excellent

There isn't a great deal to see in Gloucester per se as I remember, there is a modest shopping centre. A small free museum about the history of the town back to Roman times and the cathedral which you have to pay to get into.

The pelican is a good real ale pub with cheap beer. The Fountain has some good deals on food. The quays has a couple of nice trendy resteraunt ls. I'm not a resident but have been a fairly frequent visitor on and off, although this info is probably about 6 months old.

Fantastic cathedral, and the docks area is great for a wander about. The shopping centre area between the two isn't the most sparkling, but there are worse.

On the subject of being our of town last time I needed to stay in town I stayed Here which was cheap an cheerful but provided adequate crashing space. Not sure on parking but if you aren't all booked in it might be worth a look.

I was in the hospital there last week

I don't know much about Gloucester, there are certainly some run down parts of it, the centre shopping areas aren't too bad though challenging to park sometimes because I always try to park for free and in G the pay parking is rather better provided.

I was in the hospital there last week

I don't know much about Gloucester, there are certainly some run down parts of it, the centre shopping areas aren't too bad though challenging to park sometimes because I always try to park for free and in G the pay parking is rather better provided.

My mum's been in hospital there too, when she had her heart attack she was visiting my brother who doesn't live in Gloucester, but that is the nearest big hospital to where he lives.
I went to visit her but I only saw the station and the walk to the hospital, so can't be of much help about what it's like.
I do sometimes browse houses for sale there because if we have to move for financial reasons it looks somewhat affordable.

Can you get somewhere to stay in Caerphilly or Barry?

(I'm sure it's fine, but it's nowhere near Cardiff)
I’m sure there are places to stay there but none really at the pricepoint / acceptable standard of accommodation. The last train to Gloucester is 11pm which is why it seemed appealing.

I’ve booked for the Friday night as well as it gives me a chance to see the Cathedral (and do the charity shops :oops: ) in the morning.

There’s an interesting museum just outside of town which I’ll have a look at too on the Sunday.

I do like Double Gloucester. For a little while preferred it to Red Leicester, but recently switched back again.

Also - an ex-colleague of mine, basically a nice guy if a little dull, said he was gonna move there but didn't in the end. No idea where he ended up, but it definitely wasn't Gloucester. This would have been 12 or so years ago.

HTH.

Here now as this turned out to be the cheapest premier inn for two nights
We stayed there back in March last year for 2 nights. They had these little neck pillows which were so comfy that Mrs Q stole them, If there are no neck pillows in your room that is probably why.
If you're on the second floor mind you don't bang your head on the slopey roof next to the window (I did) and has I said the food in the Wheatstone is excellent.

Back
Top Bottom