Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tamsin Omond to stand against Green Party’s Bea Campbell Labour’s Glenda Jackson

ReubenTTE

Just posted this on The Third Estate

I winced yesterday as I read of Tamsin Omond’s latest stunt. Under the banner of her newly established “Commons Party” she plans to run against the Greens and against left-wing labour MP Glenda Jackson in the newly created Hampstead and Kilburn constituency.

It is hard to get a detailed picture of what exactly this initiative is about. The Commons Party website is extremely light on politics and policy. What instead comes through in this campaign is an emphasis upon what I recently described as the “infantile politics of good behaviour“. Tamsin has proudly told the Evening Standard that she will donate a third of her salary to the local commuity and do one day of community work a week. Indeed theses pledges dominate the Commons Party website along with a challenge to other candidates to “match them”. Please forgive me, but I really couldn’t give a flying fuck. What legislators do with the great levers of state power, and the use they make of their significant public platform, is infinitely more important that demonstrations of personal virtue and self-sacrifice.

This patronising approach to her constituents is reinforced by certain unorthodox campaigning methods. Her canvassers will be “going door-to-door offering to draught-proof houses and sort out insulation.” And there I was, thinking that the “treating” of constituents by candidates went out in the 19th century.

As Random Blow notes Tamsin Omond “has a habit of setting up and leading her own organisations rather than working with others”. I am not implacably against people founding new political parties, but context really is everything. Right now the Green Party – with whom I have no affiliation – really are making tremendous leaps forward in gaining popular support, while simultaneously embracing a genuinely radical agenda. As their membership stats demonstrate, they are drawing thousands of new people into progressive and environmentalist politics. Against this background, Omond’s decision – not merely to do her own thing, but to stand against one of the Green Party’s most prominent candidates – smacks of a narcisstic disinterest in engaging with fellow activists.

Needless to say, Tamsin doesn’t have a hope in hell of actually getting in. Yet this constituency will almost certainly be finely balanced Labour and the Tories. If this campaign prevents Glenda Jackson from gettng back in, this will not only help Cameron into power. It will also remove a prominent voice on the left of Labour, as the party considers its post-election future. If the Greens also risk splitting the labour vote, they do so for the sake of build large and established and increasingly important progressive movement. The same cannot be said of Omond’s Commons Party.

Jesus fucking Christ, that seat has a real rogue's gallery running for it. I'm not even sure who I dislike the most out of that gaggle of shitheads.

Splitting the vote? That assumes that someone will actually vote for her and I can't see that myself, people aren't thick/deluded enough to swallow any of her shite.

Campbell, by a mile.

Euro scum.

I'm not a particular fan of Bea Campbell, who for many many years was in the Communist Party, despite not being a Communist of any recognisable sort, but your little comment on her reminded me of what a nasty, silly, spiteful little place the British left can be.

Were you at one time a Tanky member of the CP or is your spitting hostility to the 'Euro' Campbell passed on to you in the Labour Party by other people who were on the Tanky wing of the CP?

I suppose it is a comment on what's happened to the Labour Party that a middle-of-the-road Labour Party bod like Glenda Jackson is now seen by some as left-wing.

It reaslly is. But that is the reality with which we as political activists must engage.

Didn't really know who Tamsin Omond is. Now I do.

suffragette-tamsin2-415x275.jpg

Those of us running our Parliamentary campaigns on a shoestring might be depressed by her apparent immediate ability to get a shopfront and lots of other expensive stuff for her campaign. Hmph.

Matt

Those of us running our Parliamentary campaigns on a shoestring might be depressed by her apparent immediate ability to get a shopfront and lots of other expensive stuff for her campaign. Hmph.

Matt

Well, but what did you expect Matt, she is after all almost an aristocrat.

As Random Blow notes Tamsin Omond “has a habit of setting up and leading her own organisations rather than working with others”. I am not implacably against people founding new political parties, but context really is everything. Right now the Green Party – with whom I have no affiliation – really are making tremendous leaps forward in gaining popular support, while simultaneously embracing a genuinely radical agenda. As their membership stats demonstrate, they are drawing thousands of new people into progressive and environmentalist politics. Against this background, Omond’s decision – not merely to do her own thing, but to stand against one of the Green Party’s most prominent candidates – smacks of a narcisstic disinterest in engaging with fellow activists.

Agree with you there. The Greens IMHO have a long way to go in engaging people outside of the Guardian-reading middle-class stereotype, and really need to do a lot of work to be in touch (at least) with working-class communities.

But for someone to stand on a maverick environmental ticket is Monster Raving Loony territory (she sounds a bit raving loony TBH anyway :D) and comes over as gross narcissism.

But for someone to stand on a maverick environmental ticket is Monster Raving Loony territory (she sounds a bit raving loony TBH anyway :D) and comes over as gross narcissism.

Unless she's maybe angling for either a career as some sort of media personality and/or is privately hoping that one of the bigger parties will seek to co-opt her by offering her a way into mainstream politics. Which wouldn't surprise me, to be honest.

Unless she's maybe angling for either a career as some sort of media personality and/or is privately hoping that one of the bigger parties will seek to co-opt her by offering her a way into mainstream politics. Which wouldn't surprise me, to be honest.

I think that's absolutely what she's about. Just furthering herself, basically.

It wasn't that long ago she was on the roof of parliament on a demo. Now she wants in by another route.

Wasn't it her and her cronies who dressed up as Suffragettes for some reason? I'm a great fan of the Suffragettes about 100 years ago but query their relevance to the 21st century voter on the street.

Can I be the first to say............stupid, up-her-own-arse, brainless, upper class, attention-seeking, narcissistic nobody? :D

If you search google news, (and images) there is quite a lot about her, despite her lack of years.

A good self publicist certainly.

Actually as the euro election results showed the Greens recieved over a million votes and were ahead of the bnp, second only to ukip (IIRC). I don't much like a lot of environmental politics but i think the "left" is in danger of underestimating them and even criticising some of the stuff they're trying to do (criticising them for running against labour/griffin is fucking stupid imo).

tamsin omond from what i know of her epitomises the "trust fund anarchist"/upper class "revolutionary" stereotype of the left that sadly has become such a popular image ... in a few years she'll have joined the lib dems or something

"Wealthy, posh girl attempts to join "the establishment" by pretending to be a bit "street" ..." :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom