Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Swindon / Oxford thoughts?

Puddy_Tat

naturally fluffy
I am at the 'contemplating applying' stage for a couple of jobs, one in Swindon, one in Oxford.

I am pussed off with the current job in SW London, the organisation and the commute (getting on for 2 hours each way - I'm currently somewhere insignificant near Reading)

Both seem to be commutable in about an hour from here which is an improvement, although longer term I'd be thinking about moving as I'm fed up with the whole commuting thing.

Have been to both places for a few things and neither seems that alarming.

The Oxford job is marginally more me, but the place looks bloody expensive (and if 'morse' is anything to go by, the murder rate is a bit alarming)

Any thoughts on either as a place to live / work?

Swindon might be quite dull, it is a pretty small place I think, main claim to fame being the Honda plant. I would have thought Oxford would be a more interesting place, but as you note, perhaps a good bit more expensive.

If you live near Reading then either is easily commutable I'd have thought- if the Oxford job is more you then take that, commute and worry about the cost of living there if it works out. Oxford is much nicer than Swindon, but, consequently is a lot more expensive to live in.

Worth living in Swindon if you want to save money. Youre a hour or less from tons of interesting places and countryside all round, at least. It gets a lot of shit but there are a fair few jobs and it's hardly the grimmest town ever.

Oxford is well expensive but not far from Swindon if you do love it, you could do trips every fortnight.

Puddy_Tat : Would you be commuting to Oxford (or Swindon) from London?

Thanks (to you and others who posted) for the thoughts, but neither of them is going to happen.

Decided against Swindon - I can't really move further away from mum-tat (who's in SE London) and the Oxford one was in an awkward place to get to from Oxford Station, and (as well as the mum-tat factor) Oxford is about as expensive for housing as London.

Meh.

Oh well, these options are always worth thinking about anyway :)
You're right though about Oxford being very pricey now, not just for property, but for everything**. My friends, who've lived for years and love it, are always commenting negatively about costs :hmm:

**pub prices are what I notice when I go -- London levels, almost!

Oh well, these options are always worth thinking about anyway :)
You're right though about Oxford being very pricey now, not just for property, but for everything**. My friends, who've lived for years and love it, are always commenting negatively about costs :hmm:

**pub prices are what I notice when I go -- London levels, almost!
I lived in Oxford for quite a long time and am now back living in London. Oxford's expensive though not as bad as London.

The problem is that wages are generally pretty low which is why this isn't a huge surprise:

Oxford once again tops list of UK's least affordable places to live

Swindon has a micro-climate , cold and as high as Nelsons Column above sea level.

Apart from Croydon - it was my most unfavoured place for meetings (ever) ..

As a Reading fan, i can only wholeheartedly agree. In fact, "we hate Swindon more than you". Although we also sing "We hate O*ford".

Big night tonight eh?

I think that Oxford would probably be a pretty crap place to live actually....

Expensive, absolutely rammed, the shopping/eating isn't that brilliant - I'd say it compares unfavourably with Leamington, or Gloucester or Cheltenham - pleasant enough I imagine if you're on a very good salary, no kids, living in North Oxford, with a thing for books, classical music and cycling, but other than that...

Back
Top Bottom