Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Students who smoke...

What do you do about it?

I'm actually thankful that a bunch of my students have the sence to be on capes but never the less tones of my 16 - 18 students are smokers. It fucking bugs me. Even more than the students who cone to class stinking of weed. (They have a diffrent issue)

I really wonder what to do...

How do I help these people?

How do I help these people?

Devote a session to the effects of smoking - with stats about risks and vivid descriptions, photos and vids.

Don't expect it to have a dramatic effect. Young people feel immortal, don't want anyone to think they are worried and believe they'll give up later but in plenty of time not to suffer the horrible consequences. Still, it's the best you can do and if the information is presented in a suitably memorable way it might help some of the students to make the sensible decision some months or years later.

Devote a session to the effects of smoking - with stats about risks and vivid descriptions, photos and vids.

Don't expect it to have a dramatic effect. Young people feel immortal, don't want anyone to think they are worried and believe they'll give up later but in plenty of time not to suffer the horrible consequences. Still, it's the best you can do and if the information is presented in a suitably memorable way it might help some of the students to make the sensible decision some months or years later.
Then you can give a sermon on the evils of sugar and white flour. ;)

61583063.jpg

cut one of their lungs out to show the others what the tar does. run it be HR first though, just to make sure it's acceptable and that the student went sue you or get his parents up the school.

dress it up as a team building exercise, "learning as a team", with many pinning him down whilst the others do the cutting.

Really, no matter how concerned you are, and as long as they aren't smoking on school premises, it's not really your problem. (I resisted saying butt out! :D )

I think you'd have more luck doing a lecture on the role of the cigarette as an oral transitional object, and make comparisons to thumb-sucking and breastfeeding :)

But seriously, I think you have to find your own boundaries and accept that their decision to smoke or not is outside your remit. No harm in politely but insistently asking them not to come to your classes stoned, though.

It's not just about the smoking. Just the attitudes and expectations. Especially the gap between what is expected from me by management and what the students expect.

Back
Top Bottom