Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Strawberry Fair 2018

rich!

stalin tache
So, another year, another Strawberry Fair.

I shall be raising a glass to Urbs who will never make it there again at some point.

Anyone else there?

Blimey - I assumed this would have got shut down years ago.
Not at all. It’s going really well, and is still organised by local people on a voluntary basis. Some of them have been involved for a long time, but it also brings in new organisers each year, which keeps it vibrant.

I think one of the reasons it's still going after the very messy events in 2000-2010 is exactly that no-one notable is playing. So there is no longer a massive police presence at the train station...
Was it messy for 10 years? I didn’t notice...

I am aware that the organisers had to agree (and were happy to do so, I believe) that they would seek to refocus it as a local, community festival, which included using local musicians and new bands that no-one had heard of.

Is that what you mean?

I think one of the reasons it's still going after the very messy events in 2000-2010 is exactly that no-one notable is playing. So there is no longer a massive police presence at the train station...
Yep, They really took the fun out of the day ten years ago.

strawberry-fair-02.jpg

Strawberry Fair, Cambridge. Police harassment galore.

Was it messy for 10 years? I didn’t notice...

I am aware that the organisers had to agree (and were happy to do so, I believe) that they would seek to refocus it as a local, community festival, which included using local musicians and new bands that no-one had heard of.

Is that what you mean?

The years when they had a dance stage and it got massive, the years when the Cambridge police force turned the station into a drug screening pen, from memory that was from about 2003-2009 and then SF took 2010 off.

I definitely remember going up on Friday and crashing on people's settees to avoid Saturday morning at the train station...

The years when they had a dance stage and it got massive, the years when the Cambridge police force turned the station into a drug screening pen, from memory that was from about 2003-2009 and then SF took 2010 off.

I definitely remember going up on Friday and crashing on people's settees to avoid Saturday morning at the train station...
I know there were times when it got really big, and the locals were complaining about the noise and the mess and the cars, and I also know there were times when the police were a bit overexcited at the railway station, but I still enjoyed Strawberry Fair in those years, and I didn't think it was spoilt.

They took 2010 off partly because of a falling out between the organisers and the council, and also because of a falling out between the organisers, and then they refreshed themselves, and got lots of new people involved, and reassured the Council that they knew what they were doing.

I know there was more to it than that, but it wasn't all bad!

Very belatedly posting :oops: --- I had a great time this year :)

I almost always enjoy it a whole lot -- this year was roughly my 27th or thereabouts :confused: -- but for various reasons I particularly did this time :)

Plus my mate Andrew came down for the first time from Cheshire -- he was staying in London for a Sunday gig as it happened, but he had time to come up to Cambridge for the day on the Saturday and he really rated it -- we saw some pretty good acts too. It's always nice when a recommendation to a mate works.

Back
Top Bottom