Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Strasbourg and Colmar - any recommendations?

Callie

Pivoting
Later this month I am off to Strasbourg and Colmar. I'm getting a bit concerned that Colmar might be rammed full of tourists so looking into other options for day trips here and there.

If anyone else has been over that way do you have any hints or tips on things to do, places to eat and drink and what to eat, what to drink etc

My main plan is wine and cheese.

We went to Colmar in the summer but just for the afternoon. It was full of tourists (of which we were definitely some). The indoor market thing is pretty good, all food and drink. The apple juice was good. The interesting bit was quite small, just a couple of rivers and bridges from what we could see. Nice though.

Strasbourg is great. Some nice historical buildings and the Alsatian cultural element is really interesting.

Maybe says more about me, but if you're into beer, can recommend Brasserie de la Lanterne and Roue Libre. First is more trad, latter a modern craft place. Easy access from the city centre via the brilliant tram network.

Modern Art Museum is good.

For an alternative, you could get the train over the river into Germany. They go regularly to Offenburg, which is worth a day out in itself, or you can change and take one of the branchlines into the Black Forest.

(Don't forget passports of you do go to Germany. ID is a legal requirement anyway and border checks are back thanks to the AfD vote.)

Last edited:
I've never been, but Strasbourg is a possible next destination, not least because I think it's pretty accessible by train.

Strasbourg's cathedral is amazing with super old stained glass. I'd spend more time in Colmar than Strasbourg as the big city is busier with tourists. Colmar in the evening is lovely as you can wander around with no crowds. There are few places I'd rather be than sitting outside Cafe Jupiler by St. Martins. The Unterlinden Museum is a worth visit. It's full of some quite random stuff.

Last edited:
We were in Strasbourg at the start of August for a few days and loved it. Second shout for the Cathedral - the view from the top is fantastic. Musee de la Ville is excellent - got a really great panoramic model of the City. Also a tram ride or walk out to the European quarter was a good way to spend a couple of hours plus there's some really interesting social housing near the EU Parliament if you like that kind of thing (I do).

Aux Brasseurs is a good and very reasonable bar/restaurant that does flammenkuchen (sp?). Would avoid a lot of the restaurants by the river in Petit France as overpriced tourist traps, although I like the Taverne du Quai. Sat right by the river with a beer on a sunny afternoon was lovely.

Freiburg is only just over an hour away by train (although you have to change) and that's definitely worth a visit.

Later this month I am off to Strasbourg and Colmar. I'm getting a bit concerned that Colmar might be rammed full of tourists so looking into other options for day trips here and there.

If anyone else has been over that way do you have any hints or tips on things to do, places to eat and drink and what to eat, what to drink etc

My main plan is wine and cheese.
I have no recommendations, but do approve of this plan.

Back
Top Bottom