Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Steam Deck

BristolEcho

What do we make of this then?

I've been really disappointed with my Switch to be honest. The games don't drop in prices and obviously this year remote play hasn't really been a need. I'd be quite tempted by this, but I am also aware many of the PC games I play don't transport well on to handheld.

What do we make of this then?

I've been really disappointed with my Switch to be honest. The games don't drop in prices and obviously this year remote play hasn't really been a need. I'd be quite tempted by this, but I am also aware many of the PC games I play don't transport well on to handheld.
I love the switch, but only because its got some of the greatest games ever. If you want cheap games, get them from ebay.

The deck is 1/2 decent, very portable laptop with joysticks and touch screen instead of a keyboard. Not too bad a price either.

Its got the touch pads from the steam controller which have a lot of plaudits, but those are from people who have put in the effort to practice to get used to them. It does take work. There are simple games valve made to help practice. But that is only for 1st person and games that essentially require a kb/mouse combo, ARPG's and 1st person types. Most other games I've played in the last 7 or so years all expect you to be using a controller.

Not sure if there was a demand for this? I suppose Valve can create demand for something that wasn't there simply by making it.
For a similar price I can get an actual laptop + controller. Then I can play the games on a bigger screen? Not as portable but a lot more useful overall.

Say it didn't turn up to PayPal and they give you the money back. I've never had anything go missing. Bought loads of games.,
Oh yeah I got it back nice and easily so I would do it again! Do you tend to do auction?

I loved Zelda. With PC games I usually wait until something's £20 or under unless it's something I really want. Then it's finding the time too. I'm not writing off the switch I actually got it for when I'm at my partners sister's house which obviously we've not been able to do yet.

Oh yeah I got it back nice and easily so I would do it again! Do you tend to do auction?

I loved Zelda. With PC games I usually wait until something's £20 or under unless it's something I really want. Then it's finding the time too. I'm not writing off the switch I actually got it for when I'm at my partners sister's house which obviously we've not been able to do yet.
What I've done in the past was get old consoles near the end of life and then go buy all the best games off ebay for between 5-10 quid, rarely on auction unless there isn't a buy it now for sensible money. I wasn't too price conscious so if a BIN was a few pounds over the likely auction price, I'd just get it.
I borrowed a friends switch recently and while I did notice the games were 20-25 on ebay, thought that was OK.
The cost of Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze is :eek: it's a WiiU game for £50!

Like the look of it but it's a bit too bulky and lacking in battery life for my tastes...maybe version two will be the one?

Problem is I suspect a lot of the games I love - mainly strategy, management, etc don't translate very will to this platform. Though likely I'd play something like RDR2 a bit more if it was pick up and play. I struggle with the motivation to sit at my PC playing it.

Problem is I suspect a lot of the games I love - mainly strategy, management, etc don't translate very will to this platform. Though likely I'd play something like RDR2 a bit more if it was pick up and play. I struggle with the motivation to sit at my PC playing it.
This is a question I have too, read mixed things about the button mapping...plus the games that are quite console like I can just play on my PS5 (the SD is too bulky for me to be considered a true mobile gaming device)...

yes, but my PC is at the same desk I use for work, so I don't really want to sit there in the evening as well. My kids always want to use it too, so this frees that up. I imagine some games won't be useful on it - I had an idea that I would finish Disco Elysium, but the text might be a bit small. I reckon I could play something like Vermintide easy enough. The PS5 is on the big telly, which is always being used for something.

I like that it tells you what works well, might mean I play some of the hundreds of games I have lying in my library. Dunno. This is why I've been agonising over it for ages. :D The battery life thing is a bit annoying but I have a 10,000 whatever battery pack that I bought for camping, so I imagine that will keep it going for a bit. The GPU and CPU is comparable to the desktop I have (maybe a little bit lower).

Ah I don't have the issue of kids to worry about plus my PS5 being on the main TV isn't an issue as we've a second one if my wife really wants to watch something (the PS5 will be moving to a dedicated gaming room in our next house too).
yes, but my PC is at the same desk I use for work, so I don't really want to sit there in the evening as well. My kids always want to use it too, so this frees that up. I imagine some games won't be useful on it - I had an idea that I would finish Disco Elysium, but the text might be a bit small. I reckon I could play something like Vermintide easy enough. The PS5 is on the big telly, which is always being used for something.

I like that it tells you what works well, might mean I play some of the hundreds of games I have lying in my library. Dunno. This is why I've been agonising over it for ages. :D The battery life thing is a bit annoying but I have a 10,000 whatever battery pack that I bought for camping, so I imagine that will keep it going for a bit. The GPU and CPU is comparable to the desktop I have (maybe a little bit lower).

I went through a phase of travelling for work a lot and if I did again I think I'd get one of these and a Dock, play on the plane then Dock in the hotel. For at home as a single bloke with a desktop of similar specs it seems ott, but for traveling it's much smaller and lighter than an equivalent laptop

Love it. Was initially a bit underwhelmed but have spent some time playing Mad Max, Super Robot Wars and Nuclear Throne and they all work perfectly. Battery is better than I feared. Sometimes you need to play about with controller profiles but somebody somewhere will have made a workable one you can use.

Screen is great, runs everything I've tried. Strategy games can be a bit fiddly but I'm going to try some more and see if I can improve it.

So far 9/10. :)

Love it. Was initially a bit underwhelmed but have spent some time playing Mad Max, Super Robot Wars and Nuclear Throne and they all work perfectly. Battery is better than I feared. Sometimes you need to play about with controller profiles but somebody somewhere will have made a workable one you can use.

Screen is great, runs everything I've tried. Strategy games can be a bit fiddly but I'm going to try some more and see if I can improve it.

So far 9/10. :)
Nice. I'm resisting until the new year.

I like it. It's impressive what it can deal with. My main problem is my eyesight is too bad for the small screen :rolleyes: Some games struggle with the controller set up but for the verified games it's great. Which one are you getting?
Ended up going for 512gb as I had a small bonus from work. I read you can upgrade the screen yourself so it's anti-glare but I'll never do that.

There's loads of games that I have on steam that I can't be bothered to actually sit at the PC and play, but are ideal for lounging around to play. Particularly games that are designed for a controller anyway.

Ended up going for 512gb as I had a small bonus from work. I read you can upgrade the screen yourself so it's anti-glare but I'll never do that.

There's loads of games that I have on steam that I can't be bothered to actually sit at the PC and play, but are ideal for lounging around to play. Particularly games that are designed for a controller anyway.
Well it's perfect for that. Keep your charger handy 😉 Although, tbf you get a few hours at least on most games.

Well it's perfect for that. Keep your charger handy 😉 Although, tbf you get a few hours at least on most games.
I can usually only manage a couple of hours on those action sort of games anyway normally. Thinking RDR2 for example.

My time sinks are always FM, Civ, Crusader Kings, or any strategy/building game. etc.

Had mine since October. Both times Iv used it. It’s been great. But I’m more into the pc and oculus so not really given it much of a chance yet.

Back
Top Bottom