Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

smoke alarm problem.

clicker

nanook rubs it....
So the fire brigade fitted it free a couple of years ago. It started beeping yesterday...managed to get the lid off and can't see what needs doing? It says battery is not removable and i cant get to it anyway? It says due for replacement 2017. I want to rip it off the ceiling. Any ideas before the hammer comes outIMG_20150727_30127.jpg

So the fire brigade fitted it free a couple of years ago. It started beeping yesterday...managed to get the lid off and can't see what needs doing? It says battery is not removable and i cant get to it anyway? It says due for replacement 2017. I want to rip it off the ceiling. Any ideas before the hammer comes outView attachment 74545
did you know you'd had something radioactive knocking round the place for years?

Call your local fire station and ask what to do? They'll probably come and fit you a new one.

Does't it twist off the ceiling?

I forked out for a Google Nest smoke alarm. Pricey, but it delivers some peace of mind.

It doesn't have a replaceable battery. This means that when the battery is running out, you need to replace the whole unit. I would start by purchasing a new one, and then remove the existing one and fit the new one in it's place.

Call your local fire station and ask what to do? They'll probably come and fit you a new one.
Just did and a very apologetic switchboard operator told me they're not picking up...call back later.
I have wrapped a scarf over it to muffle
the beep :(
I did wonder how radioactive is radioactive? Just my luck to get killed by a life saving device.
Is it meant to be disposable then...if i can never put a new battery in?

I did wonder how radioactive is radioactive? Just my luck to get killed by a life saving device.
Is it meant to be disposable then...if i can never put a new battery in?

Yes, you can dispose of it in the normal household waste.

I think on average one person dies every two years globally as a result of gamma ray emissions from home smoke alarms, so it's unlikely to be you.

Cut the wires if you want it to shut up - but make sure you don't go about the place setting fires until you get a replacement.

It will still function as a fire detecting despite the low battery warning, but obviously not if you wrap it fabric.

None of them "have to" be screwed to the ceiling. They can all be fitted with sticky pads provided you have some sticky pads that are strong enough.

Back
Top Bottom