Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Sir Roger Bannister has died

Oh, that is sad.

He was at university with my father. My father is abroad right now, so won't know until he returns.

Apparently his health had been sliding downhill for a while
Yeah, he had Parkinsons, and has not been well for a while.

It is probably only sad for me because of the link with my father. I only met him once, so he is not a personal friend or anything, but it is a reminder that my father is old - something I like to forget.

Yeah, he had Parkinsons, and has not been well for a while.

It is probably only sad for me because of the link with my father. I only met him once, so he is not a personal friend or anything, but it is a reminder that my father is old - something I like to forget.

Parkinson's is a shitty disease too....for anyone...but feckin rough on someone who was an athlete I would think.

There’s a joke in there somewhere about being under 6ft but I’m too tired to think of it.

Does anyone in the athletics world outside of the UK give a shit about the 4-minute mile? I don't think the mile has ever featured on the Olympic programme, and few countries outside the Anglophonic world measure anything in miles.

Maybe a question for another thread.

Bit ironic that a neurologist developed Parkinson's.
Don't know anything about racist attitudes, and this really isn't the place to discuss that aspect.
However, for an amateur athlete also training for a medical career Bannister achieved a great deal.
RIP for all the right things !

stavros
The mile is still a feature in international athletics ...
Mile run - Wikipedia

stavros
Mile run - Wikipedia

I know it still exists. I'm questioning if those outside the UK regard it in such high esteem. The fact that no one has gone to beat El Guerrouj's world record after nearly twenty years did make me think it was somewhat irrelevant, although I then looked at his 1,500m record, which is even older, so perhaps I was wrong.

Bit ironic that a neurologist developed Parkinson's.
Don't know anything about racist attitudes, and this really isn't the place to discuss that aspect.
However, for an amateur athlete also training for a medical career Bannister achieved a great deal.
RIP for all the right things !

stavros
Mile run - Wikipedia

No offence, but this is entirely the place to discuss that aspect. Urban isn't a memorial/remembrance book for every celebrity, if you want to leave a memory somewhere without criticism and it is not about a deceased member of this forum, then look for an appropriate memorial site online to do so.

Back
Top Bottom