Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Shooting in the rain? water and electronics?

weltweit

So, I don't have an Olympus with their "envious making" environmental sealing.

I have a Nikon which I don't think has great sealing and I am using it with non weather sealed lenses.

It is going to rain tomorrow and Sunday, I haven't taken my camera out for weeks and would like to go take some pictures, but the rain the rain, what should I do?

I have heard of people using plastic bags and elastic bags, does anyone actually do that? sheltering under an umbrella which seems - well no I have some experience of that - I nearly fell into a river! :) others buy specially made rain covers..

What to do?

What do you do?

Speaking as one who destroyed a £250 camera with a cup of tea...

I now use a large (A3 size) clear zip-lock bag with a hole for the lens cut at the end, I also use an umbrella.

I wanted a weatherproof camera, but I simply couldn't find one that had the image quality and zoom for a price I was willing to pay...

Speaking as one who destroyed a £250 camera with a cup of tea...
How did you manage that?

I now use a large (A3 size) clear zip-lock bag with a hole for the lens cut at the end, I also use an umbrella.
Yes, I figure a large clear bag with elastic band to keep it tight around the lens hood could work.

I wanted a weatherproof camera, but I simply couldn't find one that had the image quality and zoom for a price I was willing to pay...
Well they say my camera has some sealing, but they won't give it an IP rating and they won't repair water damaged cameras either as far as I can tell so I don't want to take the risk. Apart from that my lenses are not sealed so ..

IP ratings and bothering to get things certified for them is a bit more serious than whether you can go out in the rain with something. I think you'll be fine.

Push/pull zoom lenses are the biggest risk but even then... How are you going to take photos in torrential rain anyway? Just get a messenger bag that you can easily put it into and take out again.

Normally, I will not take the big camera out in rain, especially if it is windy but one of the point n shoot ones is used instead.

I want to take some spray pictures so I need a quick response camera ...

Condoms were always good on mics in rain. Should be able put one over a camera with only lens end sticking out.

IP ratings and bothering to get things certified for them is a bit more serious than whether you can go out in the rain with something. I think you'll be fine.
Nikon service units have refused to repair cameras damaged by water ingress even when it was stated that the camera was in some way weather sealed. I don't trust the system basically, and as I said I looked at the battery door on my camera and it is not sealed against anything as far as I can tell. Granted it usually is at the bottom of the unit so water shouldn't in normal operation get in there.

And IP testing is pretty simple. If you claim IP67 you just have to lower your unit 1m into water, keep it there for an hour and then prove that it still works. Most people lower the unit down a water filled tube.

IP65 or less should be easier to test for. I am sure the standards outline the tests, they usually do.

Push/pull zoom lenses are the biggest risk but even then... How are you going to take photos in torrential rain anyway? Just get a messenger bag that you can easily put it into and take out again.
I am happy to use a prime only. Or my 28-70 which has a substantial hood over which I could use an elastic band and plastic bag.

Back
Top Bottom