Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Shear thickening fluid used to make better helmets

HAL9000

Article in the economist about shear thickening fluid used to make better helmets. Here's example of a shear thickening fluid

Scientistis have been experimenting with this type of fluid to produce better protective equipment.

Economist webpage is restricted, so I found this link...

The webbing consists of a tubular assembly filled with a unique formulation of shear thickening fluid and provides a speed-dependent mechanical response when stretched under tension.

At low speeds, the rate-activated tethers extend and recover elastically while at high speeds, the rate-activated tethers resist motion due to the interaction of the shear thickening fluid with the assembly.

Compared to conventional foam helmet pads, the rate-activated tether suspension dramatically reduces peak acceleration due to its unique energy absorption characteristics.

Concussion probability curves developed from NFL and collegiate football data suggest that the new suspension’s reduction in peak g values from 94 g to 58 g would reduce the likelihood of concussion from 0.66% to 0.11% – a 6X reduction.

1596364748407.png

Could same team homology be applied to bike and motor bike helmets? It could be a game changer.

Looks good. Existing cycle helmets are pretty crap. Only effective at collision speeds of up to 15mph IIRC, so no good if a car hits you. And wearing a helmet makes car drivers give you less space on the roads :(

Could same team homology be applied to bike and motor bike helmets? It could be a game changer.

This research was done in order to make better helmets for soldiers. If you look at the US army helmet, Advanced Combat Helmet or ACH there are straps behind the padding..

1596378198470.png

Its hard to see but if you look at the previous generation helmet, PASGT..
1596378295977.png

You can see a network of straps inside the helmet, so the skull is not directly incontact with the helmet it self. These "rate-activated tethers" could replace the straps found in modern helmets.

Don't know if it will work for bicycle helmets. I'm sceptical if it can be used for motor cycle helmets, rather than having straps inside the helmet it has an impact absorbing liner made of expanded polystyrene.
1596378840558.png

• Outer Shell – The rigid, outer shell is the outermost, colored part of the helmet you view from the outside. Usually consisting of Kevlar, carbon fiber, polycarbonate, molded plastics, or a combination of those materials, its primary function is to protect your head in the event of impact or abrasion and to prevent penetration from outside objects, such as rocks, insects, etc.
  • Impact Absorbing Liner – On the inside of the outer shell is the impact-absorbing liner, typically made from EPS (expanded polystyrene) foam. The primary function of the liner is to absorb shock and displace energy during an impact. The outer shell keeps foreign objects from penetrating the helmet, while the inner layer keeps the energy of the impact from transmitting to your head. Some layers may be made from a single density foam, while other models include a dual-density layer (two layers combined) for added energy displacement during an impact.
  • Padded Comfort Layer – The padded comfort layer is the area that your head rests against while you’re wearing the helmet. It typically consists of an open-cell foam that is covered in a second cloth material, designed to wick away sweat and keep you cool while riding. It is usually removable for cleaning purposes and is interchangeable to accommodate different head shapes. Check with your helmet manufacturer to see if they offer different comfort liner shapes to best fit your head shape.
  • Retention System/Chin Strap – The helmet retention system, also referred to as the chin strap, is secured below your chin to keep the helmet on your head while you ride. It’s made from a woven material and fastened with two d-rings to stay secured. When properly secured, the chin strap should only allow for two fingers between the strap and your chin. The strap is usually partially covered a similar cloth as the comfort liner to wick away sweat and for comfort, as it rests against your skin.

Last edited:
Looks good. Existing cycle helmets are pretty crap. Only effective at collision speeds of up to 15mph IIRC, so no good if a car hits you. And wearing a helmet makes car drivers give you less space on the roads :(

There exists a euro standard for speed e-bikes (up to 28mph) now: NTA 8776

8776 requires a thicker shell, and more temple, back-of-neck and ear coverage. Compared to a normally certified helmet: "it requires 43% more impact energy and 10% more impact-tested coverage around the two most sensitive brain areas: the back and the temples"

Separately, there is a new design feature called MIPS, that mitigates rotational injuries.

For my next bike helmet, I'm going to get one that complies with NTA8776, and features MIPS.

Or maybe this ?

Spaceman, one of my helmets a Bell has MIPS, I hardly ever wear it though as it is far heavier than the non - MIPS helmets I have and I consider Helmet weight very important in preventing neck injuries when the initial impact is at the torso (sometimes I also wear a neck brace)
One of the worst trends I see in Modern helmets is a tendancy to stop short at the back.
The main concIderations when choosing a helmet should be impact resistance, weight, coverage and of course how well it fits

I recently bought a modern and heavy-duty bike helmets Bern and it seemed to me something very new and trustworthy. I've used a lot of bike helmets throughout my life and many couldn't withstand falls and Bern was very resistant. After the first fall, the helmet remained intact and my head did not suffer, which is very important for me.
They protect your head by not withstanding falls. Your current helmet has been damaged and should be replaced, even if it looks ok on the outside.

Back
Top Bottom