Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Shared roof woes

Johnny Vodka

The Abominable Scotsman
I stay in a four in a block style flat. The title deeds say that everyone is jointly responsible for the roof and should pay an equal share in its maintenance. Unfortunately it's my side that seems to take the most damage and, living upstairs, it will bother me before it bothers anyone else.

Anyway, last time (spring 2023) the roof required maintenance, I had to track the two owners through the wall (these properties are landlord owned, downstairs is council). One of the landlords (downstairs through the wall) did not engage at all until the work had been completed (I eventually had to go for it, as water coming in) and said he wasn't going to pay as a slate had been missed on his side (though he spotted this a week after the work had been done)... I said I'd get the roofer back to have a look at it, but he fobbed me off, saying he would take a look at it himself. His words were something like "if it doesn't benefit me, I'm not paying".

Because of timescales and me going on holiday the next day, and it not being a huge amount of money, I just left it. I thought I might be able to recoup some of his share via the council, but no such luck. I've since asked the council about "missing shares" and there's a lot of hoops you need to jump through for them to consider paying a bit more in that situation. It would require a "maintenance account" for the block, but presumably all owners have to consent to this? The council also mentioned some app called Novoville (has anyone used this?) that they use. Basically, everyone signs up to it and it makes the process of agreeing to work, paying, etc much easier, though the app takes a 2% cut of any repairs. I've asked the council what role they could play in making everyone participate... still waiting to hear back.

Anyway, thanks to recent storms and me living up high in what seems like the windiest place on Earth, I have a slate out again and one hanging, so going to need to consider another repair soon. Before I approach the landlords, I'm going to wait until I hear back from the council, because I want to know what role they can play if this twat refuses to engage/pay again. This time I intend to pursue it. I gather any financial claim would need to be via a small claims court, and you might need to pay to have any decision enforced so might not be worth the hassle?? I'm also wondering if I can make a complaint against him as a landlord and effectively threaten his license; though it does look like complaints are most likely to be taken seriously if they affect the tenant, which this won't really.

Starting to get a bit stressed/anxious about this. I'm not great with conflict, but need to make a stand as the roof generally requires maintenance once a year. Anyone dealt with a similar situation or have any advice?

shared roof solidarity - some tiles fell off mine yesterday in the wind.

the block i'm in is council owned, i'm a leaseholder and (i think) the other three are tenants, and basically the council are going to get their contractors to sort it out - they as freeholders are responsible for the basic structure of the whole block including the roof.

but i'm in england, where leasehold law is different to scotland, and i don't understand how it works there - i guess that doesn't help much.

in england, there is the leasehold advisory service which has a website and helpline, but again won't be any use to you. i can't see anything obvious on CAB scotland website, but they may be able to assist or know someone who can.

hope you get it sorted without things getting too unpleasant

Regardless of where you are, I would have thought maintenance and repairs are covered by the lease and that everyone is responsible for common areas be it roof or foundations. The problems start with trying to enforce the terms of the lease, which will be down to the freeholders.

I can offer no help but solidarity. I live in a block of eight former council flats all of which are now privately rented out by different landlords, if there is anything needs doing to the common areas it takes an eternity for them to agree and get anything done. Mine seems to be the cause of a lot of the delay since he owns five of the eight flats. The other landlords expect him to pay 5/8th's of any cost whereas he reckons he should only pay 1/4th.

I can offer no help but solidarity. I live in a block of eight former council flats all of which are now privately rented out by different landlords, if there is anything needs doing to the common areas it takes an eternity for them to agree and get anything done. Mine seems to be the cause of a lot of the delay since he owns five of the eight flats. The other landlords expect him to pay 5/8th's of any cost whereas he reckons he should only pay 1/4th.
Likewise. I live in a four in a block building where one of the four on the ground level is a cafe. My neighbour across the hall had to have a roof repair done as there was a leak into his flat. There is also a leak over the shared stairwell and several slates missing/damaged over my side of the roof which are just trouble brewing for the future. He tried to get agreement from the other three owners to split the bill to repair the whole roof but everyone dragged their heels and my landlord flat out refused (and in fact was quite rude to my neighbour over the phone about it). End result, neighbour paid the whole cost to have only the roof directly above his flat repaired. The common stair roof still leaks, and in fact is now making my bathroom wall damp which means it never dries out properly after a shower and is freezing cold in there all the time. I first reported that leak to my landlord via the agency 18 months ago and got the reply that it was too difficult to get all the properties to agree to split the repair. Yes, because my landlord is a useless obstreperous bastard.

I'm in a block of 9 (6 flats upstairs, three shops on ground floor). We have a factor who organised an annual maintenance inspection, quotes for any work then we get it done and the bill is split between us equally.

Johnny Vodka could you start doing an annual inspection to pick up any issues before they become bigger?

Johnny Vodka could you start doing an annual inspection to pick up any issues before they become bigger?

It's a great idea in theory, but whether others would agree it to it is another story.

It's a shame resolving these sorts of issues seem to rely on people being decent rather than easy enforcement of what's in the title deeds. I don't know whether the mindset of the typical landlord makes it worse.. :hmm:

In an ideal world you'd hope it would be easier to compel all owners to meet their responsibilities as laid out in the title deeds, with the additional threat to landlords of losing their license if they don't.

It's a great idea in theory, but whether others would agree it to it is another story.

It's a shame resolving these sorts of issues seem to rely on people being decent rather than easy enforcement of what's in the title deeds. I don't know whether the mindset of the typical landlord makes it worse.. :hmm:

In an ideal world you'd hope it would be easier to compel all owners to meet their responsibilities as laid out in the title deeds, with the additional threat to landlords of losing their license if they don't.
It's easier and cheaper to fix small problems before they become big expensive problems - you'd think most landlords would know that.

We have had roof woes where I live, so I know how frustrating it is, when some people want to get a replacement while others feel it's not necessary. Here, it's an "HOA" thing and we pay quarterly dues that are supposed to fix things if it breaks. Sometimes that doesn't happen. There are houses still with blue tarpaulin up because of the hurricane, while the clubhouse and gate are roofs are molding and broken.

The suggestion for some sort of annual inspection is worth it for everyone. It's to prevent any bad shit from getting worse. Yes, it is costly for someone to come out and look at everything, but what's the lesser of two evils: paying someone to double check the cracks are okay, or paying a company upwards of 4 times that amount to replace the roof? Peace of mind.

Definitely keep checking in with council to see what they can do to help. Responsibility also falls on them.

Good luck!

Quite a few slates now in precarious positions after the recent storms. I've been communicating with the council about the issue, but still not getting anything like proper back up before approaching the landlords. Got an e-mail from the council on Friday mentioning environmental health, so I'm going to phone them on Monday to discuss further. It would be good to letter the difficult landlord using the threat of getting environmental health to inspect the roof if he doesn't participate in repairs this time. I'd hope that might threaten his landlord license? But who knows... I've done a bit of googling and it seems it's very easy to get away with not contributing to common repairs and a lot of hassle and effort to chase these rogues up!

Just got him to pay his share for the latest round of repairs with a mix of shaming in a group email & threat of legal action. Sadly it looks like I need new gutters now too, but at least I know how to get him to pay up and hopefully future repairs won't be so time consuming and difficult!

Back
Top Bottom