Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Shared ownership

Hellsbells

World's best procrastinator
I realise there's loads to read on the internet about this but I was hoping I could get some quick info & answers to questions here, plus any personal 1st hand experiences.

I'm confused about how it works. My understanding is you pay a small desposit, and a mortgage on a percentage of the house price, meaning you only own that percentage. The remaining percentage that you don't own, you have to pay rent on. Is that right?

My questions are:

- Apart from the small deposit, isn't the total cost you're paying out pretty similar to what you'd pay if you had a full mortgate?
- Does the rent rise, the same as if you were renting normally?
- Will you ever own the whole property yourself in your lifetime? Is it likely?
- What happens if you want to move? I'm assuming you have to move into another shared ownership property?
- If the property is only half or quarter yours, does this mean you are limited in what you can actually do & change in the place?

Is the whole scheme just total pants & should I forget about it!?

I'm confused about how it works. My understanding is you pay a small desposit, and a mortgage on a percentage of the house price, meaning you only own that percentage. The remaining percentage that you don't own, you have to pay rent on. Is that right? Yes

My questions are:

- Apart from the small deposit, isn't the total cost you're paying out pretty similar to what you'd pay if you had a full mortgate? Maybe
- Does the rent rise, the same as if you were renting normally? Yes
- Will you ever own the whole property yourself in your lifetime? Is it likely? Maybe
- What happens if you want to move? I'm assuming you have to move into another shared ownership property? No you just sell your bit
- If the property is only half or quarter yours, does this mean you are limited in what you can actually do & change in the place? No (not any more than you always are in a flat anyway) ... you can't let it out though

Is the whole scheme just total pants & should I forget about it!? No it's fine, depending on circumstances. cheaper than renting anyway

I also read that it's possible to find shared ownership properties that aren't new build. Are there many of these, does anyone know?
I really don't like new builds. And I'd want a garden.

They do seem to be mostly new builds, so you are hit by both new builds being more expensive anyway, and also shared ownership properties being more expensive than if you were able to buy outright.

I realise there's loads to read on the internet about this but I was hoping I could get some quick info & answers to questions here, plus any personal 1st hand experiences.

I'm confused about how it works. My understanding is you pay a small desposit, and a mortgage on a percentage of the house price, meaning you only own that percentage. The remaining percentage that you don't own, you have to pay rent on. Is that right?

My questions are:

1 Apart from the small deposit, isn't the total cost you're paying out pretty similar to what you'd pay if you had a full mortgate?
2 Does the rent rise, the same as if you were renting normally?
3 Will you ever own the whole property yourself in your lifetime? Is it likely?
4 What happens if you want to move? I'm assuming you have to move into another shared ownership property?
5 If the property is only half or quarter yours, does this mean you are limited in what you can actually do & change in the place?

1. No, it's cheaper as the rent is subsidised. For example, we have a mortgage on 40% of our property and pay rent on 60% of it. If we had a full mortgage our monthly payment would be c. £1300, but as it is it's c. £1000.
2. Yes. And there are service charges which also rise. This can be a bugger.
3. You can buy more of the property as you go. The problem is, every time you buy more you have to pay the fees again - solicitors fees, valuation, etc so unless you can afford to make the leap from owning a percentage to owning the whole lot in one go it's not worth it.
4. When you move, you are obliged to sell the property back to the housing association. They have a fixed period of time in which to sell it themselves, after which you can put it on the open market.
5. No, it's yours to do as you want with. You can paint, build, whatever.

And finally - no, it's not pants. We could never afford a property without it - the bank would never give us a mortgage for the full amount that our property is worth, but we could get a mortgage for £100K, which was what 40% of the property value was when we bought it.

The downside is that some housing associations are shit. Avoid A2Dominion if you can.

There are shared ownerships for non-new-builds, but they go quickly.

My friend has got one of these and yes it was a new build. I don't know a huge amount about it but one thing that did stand out was that part of the agreement was that he didn't have a choice of mortgage provider, he was told which one he would have to use and it was a terrible deal (maybe 7% or something like that). It may make sense financially if you're already paying a lot for rent but I'd caution against because I don't think they're a good deal. But if its all you can afford then it may be worth a go.

My friend has got one of these and yes it was a new build. I don't know a huge amount about it but one thing that did stand out was that part of the agreement was that he didn't have a choice of mortgage provider, he was told which one he would have to use and it was a terrible deal (maybe 7% or something like that). It may make sense financially if you're already paying a lot for rent but I'd caution against because I don't think they're a good deal and I can foresee problems selling it later down the road.

This wasn't the case when we bought (in 2006). You are limited in that there are only a small number of banks that will do a shared ownership mortgage, but we were given the details of a good mortgage broker who understood shared ownership and got a deal commensurate with the market at the time.

There's a couple of different answers for the 'What happens if you want to move?' question, so I'll add a third-

We bought an ex-shared ownership property and were told that the process was that the vendor had to effectively buy the full percentage before being able to sell it on. This was arranged using the proceeds of the sale (so basically using the money we paid to buy it). Apparently it is fairly straightforward but we were told that a previous sale had fallen through because the buyer's solicitors couldn't get their heads round it.

So, there you go.

This wasn't the case when we bought (in 2006). You are limited in that there are only a small number of banks that will do a shared ownership mortgage, but we were given the details of a good mortgage broker who understood shared ownership and got a deal commensurate with the market at the time.

Fair enough, the mate in question is an expert at getting ripped off so he probably didn't do enough research or ask enough questions.

Teaboy, your mate should ask about service charge. Should he pay a percentage in accordance with the percentage he 'owns'? Or the full amount? I have heard of both arrangements.

good thing about new builds is that they're v well insulated. you can get ones with gardens (but in a block of flats there might only be a few with gardens).

Another thing to consider if you're only just starting to look into this as it's not immediately apparent; 'affordable housing' doesn't necessarily mean 'affordable' in any true sense. I applied for a place (on intermediate rent, which is different but) and was rejected on the strict grounds that, while I had no enormous outgoings apart from rent I wasn't earning enough. Even though the rent would have been the same as I've been paying for ages. You'll be surprised at what Qatari consortia building flats in zone 3 and charging zone 1 prices consider 'affordable', or perhaps you won't :mad:

Yeah, I just looked up shared ownership properties in the area where I currently live (renting) & despite the outgoings (mortgate & rent together) coming to the same as I pay at the moment in rent, the expected income of the buyer(s) has to be a minimum of 45K!! What the hell?! Do you think this is because rents are likely to rise and rise in the next few years? How depressing.

Yeah, I just looked up shared ownership properties in the area where I currently live (renting) & despite the outgoings (mortgate & rent together) coming to the same as I pay at the moment in rent, the expected income of the buyer(s) has to be a minimum of 45K!! What the hell?! Do you think this is because rents are likely to rise and rise in the next few years? How depressing.

No, I think it's because they can charge wtf they want, and 'affordable' doesn't mean shit.

I think it does a good job of showing how unaffordable rent is. You're only meant to spend X% of your income on rent and most people are paying much more. I guess the £45k is tied to the maximum it is advised to spend on rent. I do think it is ridiculous to put minimum income as a criteria when it's a saving compared to rent. If people can show they have been affording Y amount on rent then they can afford Y amount on an HA property.

I think there's a big difference between those shared ownership things that are advertised in newspapers and are totally private (ie they are vastly expensive rip offs) and ones run by housing associations like Peabody etc. Though probably less and less difference as time goes on.

My 2 cents:

- Apart from the small deposit, isn't the total cost you're paying out pretty similar to what you'd pay if you had a full mortgate?

Depends on the rent they charge you for the share of the property you don't own. The rent in our case was very very reasonable indeed. We bought 40% in 2004, and the rent on the outstanding 60% was considerably less than 60% of the equivalent private rent. Not sure if this has changed since then though - are housing associations obliged to charge "market rent" now?

- Does the rent rise, the same as if you were renting normally?
The rent rises, but probably not at the same rate as the private rented market (although see caveat above) Our rent was pegged to a maximum rise of RPI + 1.5% each year (iirc). So in practice it always went up this much annually. It is probable that you would have to pay a monthly service charge, depending on the scheme (ie if it is within a block of flats with common areas and facilities). Service charges in our block are apportioned as % of the
floor space our flat occupies in the development as a whole. This has gone up and down over the years, due to some very haphazard housing association administration. Currently around £90 pcm. This includes provision for a sinking fund to cover cyclical maintenance, major works like roof replacements and so on, so (in theory) we shouldn't be surprised by unexpected one-off costs.

- Will you ever own the whole property yourself in your lifetime? Is it likely?
Depends. House prices are generally increasing faster than salaries. In theory this means that the value of the share you don't own could become increasingly unaffordable. In practice, our experience was that the (independent) valuers our housing association used seemed to give very sensible estimations, which meant we were able to staircase to 100% eventually. It's in the housing associations interest to get the debt off their books and on to yours. We managed it through a lot of scrimping and saving. And even if you don't get to 100% you are still investing at least a proportion of your hard-earned cash in your own home, rather than someone else's.

I would disagree only very slightly with missfran's excellent advice - yes, you do have to pay extra legal costs each time you "staircase" - so avoid if you can - but they weren't punitive. I think it took us two goes (and a massive mortgage!) to get to 100%. So it can be worth it, in my experience.

- What happens if you want to move? I'm assuming you have to move into another shared ownership property?
If by move you mean sell-up and buy somewhere new, you have complete freedom of choice as to where you can move to. This would be dependent - as with any other house purchase - on your financial circumstances, but my take would be that (assuming house prices and private rental values continue to increase at similar rates as today, and that you don't buy a dud) your financial position would most likely be better than it would have been if you were renting privately.
As far as I am aware there is no preferential treatment for existing shared-ownership residents looking to move to another shared ownership scheme, but this may vary depending on schemes/providers. When selling as a part-owner the housing association (it's usually a housing association) will often have some sort of clause which means that you have to 'offer' it to them first and allow them first chance to find a buyer from their books. It is social housing after all. What this means in practice is that you may be reliant on an independent valuation to determine the market price. As mentioned earlier, the valuers used when we staircased gave what we thought were very modest valuations - great when you're staircasing and you want to buy more, bad when you want to get the best price possible when you want to sell!

- If the property is only half or quarter yours, does this mean you are limited in what you can actually do & change in the place?
We had full freedom to decorate but I think any major building works were restricted as a part-owner. Not sure what the position is now we own 100%, suspect we have a lot more freedom. I also recall that as a part owner we had to ask the housing association's permission if we wanted to sub-let, don't think this applies as a 100% owner. You'll be responsible for all repairs etc within the property.

No, it can be (or at least was in our experience) a very helpful scheme depending on your circumstances and requirements. At the very minimum we viewed it as an ownership model that allowed us to avoid siphoning all our hard-earned cash into a private landlords pockets and, which, through lots of saving and a couple of lucky breaks, allowed us to own our own home. But you have to do your homework, check the paperwork and work out if it is right for you.

the expected income of the buyer(s) has to be a minimum of 45K!! What the hell?! Do you think this is because rents are likely to rise and rise in the next few years?
It's probably because the housing association is 1) trying to be responsible by not selling shared ownership properties to those who will be unable to meet their mortgage and rental obligations which also 2) will save them lost income in terms of defaults, evicting, void periods, re-selling etc. It's a commercial operation. 45k per annum wouldn't buy you much of a share in many London properties (sadly).

tldr: it's worth checking out, but do your homework

We had full freedom to decorate but I think any major building works were restricted as a part-owner. Not sure what the position is now we own 100%, suspect we have a lot more freedom.

It'll depend on what your lease says and whether you have any ownership of the freehold. And possibly your mortgage.

I think there's a big difference between those shared ownership things that are advertised in newspapers and are totally private (ie they are vastly expensive rip offs) and ones run by housing associations like Peabody etc. Though probably less and less difference as time goes on.

I think you might be onto something there because the experiences of people here seem a lot better than that of my friend.

I think you might be onto something there because the experiences of people here seem a lot better than that of my friend.
yep, the old housing associations aren't perfect but they're not the evil ripoffs you see in the evening standard. there used to be a single portal where you could search all the HAs for shared ownership... think this is it now: www.sharetobuy.com. Check tho, i'm not sure!

I think it does a good job of showing how unaffordable rent is. You're only meant to spend X% of your income on rent and most people are paying much more. I guess the £45k is tied to the maximum it is advised to spend on rent.
This^

They have a formula, often a covenant in the establishment of the HA. Some used to be more flexible and you could self certify, but some of those went wrong in the general debt disaster (acquaintance of mine over estimated what she could pay, she lost her shared ownership place in Islington)

Be aware that if you want to move you probably do not have the option of renting out the property. I had a friend who got completely trapped by this. She bought with her partner at the peak of the market, then later they split up. They couldn't sell because it was worth far less than when they bought it so she took over the full mortgage. She could only do that by having a lodger and the housing association found out and threatened legal action. Then she wanted to move to the other end of the country to be with her new boyfriend, but was stuck unable to sell or rent because of the housing association rules.

Be aware that if you want to move you probably do not have the option of renting out the property. I had a friend who got completely trapped by this. She bought with her partner at the peak of the market, then later they split up. They couldn't sell because it was worth far less than when they bought it so she took over the full mortgage. She could only do that by having a lodger and the housing association found out and threatened legal action. Then she wanted to move to the other end of the country to be with her new boyfriend, but was stuck unable to sell or rent because of the housing association rules.
I think this depends on the housing association. As a part-owner we were in theory allowed to sub-let (but would have had to ask permission). The experience you mention above seems to be about the consequences of negative equity compounded by inflexible housing association sub-letting rules - but absolutely a potential scenario. As ever OP: do your homework! :)

I've resurrected this because i was initially - - a couple of years ago unsure of shared ownership even though I have one but I still think it's fantastic - my mortgage is paid and I will never be able to afford to buy more but I am left with a flat that I pay rent of £260pm on a flat that on the open market would cost £1500.

My mate bought a shared ownership in March- 50%-for a 2 bedroom flat - I've just seen it and it is stunning - massive and beautiful and he pays £900 rent and mortgage for a place that would command almost double in rent.

How can that not be a good deal? Incidentally my flat was a new build, as is his, and I've spent less then 2k on repairs in 20 years and in the same 20 years the rent portion has gone up from £150pm to £260pm!

Good deal?

Personally, I think shared ownership is one of the biggest confidence tricks ever to be played on the British public. Imagine this scenario: you've managed to pay off your mortgage and a serious illness, injury or redundancy diminishes your income, and you then fall into arrears. You are served with a NSOP, then an NTQ and are evicted. You lose both your home and your equity. There is nothing to protect you.

Housing Associations and lenders aren't interested in anything other than money. They're also exploiting your desire to own your own home (which they just see as property). The whole idea of home ownership is simple: you own your home and you're not paying rent, which many homeowners/mortgage holders deem as 'dead money'. Paying rent and a mortgage seems somewhat obscene.

Now tell me, how many other countries offer such bizarre schemes?

Back
Top Bottom