Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Help Setting up a karaoke machine for a pub - connections, advice etc

editor

hiraethified
So I've just been asked to sort this out at extreme short notice!

Pub has projector and sound system and mic, plus Windows laptop (and my Chromebook if needed).

We want to project the lyrics while punters murder the songs.

There seems to be loads of apps and online versions with most charging a subscription fee.

Any top recommendations from the urban massive? Ta!

I’ve got Lucky Voice too. It’s ok but there were lots of tracks we searched for and were missing. Mainly old indie and rock stuff.

There’s also some lyrics that are so wrong!

I think it's because the laptop is fucked but we can't project the video from the laptop and run the music into the mixer

Laptop will probably be sending the audio down the HDMI into the projector, tell it to send it to the onboard audio / sound card instead
I used a USB soundcard and fixed it!

337563272_912675866732870_5023108419939351391_n.jpg

So an update and some advice. It was proving a pain crawling (literally) in and out of the DJ booth to alter the levels for each singer, I've bought a small mixer so I can control the singer's level and backing track, and have a mic of my own so I can introduce people. Also the mixer provides me with some reverb/echo which will help ease the pain of listening to the really bad singers. :)

The laptop currently connects to the projector and pesh correctly noted that the "laptop will probably be sending the audio down the HDMI into the projector, tell it to send it to the onboard audio / sound card instead" but to be honest that sounds a bit fiddly (or is it easy?).

Happily I had a USB soundcard (thanks again not henry !) which meant I could send the audio to the pub's mixer and PA and everything worked fine.

Here's the mixer (which I got s/hand for a great price). So the question is, can I bypass the soundcard if I just ran a USB to phono lead from the laptop into the mixer (or maybe into one of the channels for more control using USB to jacks) or would it still need some sort of soundcardy thing? And if so, what's the tiniest cheapest one I could order from Amazon?

1688598561452.png

Much appreciated!

You mentioned you already used a USB soundcard and it worked fine. Why not use it again? Or was it just a loan? Either way if that laptop has a headphone out, you should just be able to send the audio there and run a mini-jack to the 1/4 inch line inputs at 1 & 2.

You mentioned you already used a USB soundcard and it worked fine. Why not use it again? Or was it just a loan? Either way if that laptop has a headphone out, you should just be able to send the audio there and run a mini-jack to the 1/4 inch line inputs at 1 & 2.
It's quite bulky and I'm trying to have less things to drag along every time. The headphone out didn't work because the audio was being sent via the HDMI output.

Right click on the speaker / sound / volume icon on the right hand side of the task bar and set the audio output to be the onboard audio / headphone socket output.
It should be as simple as that.

Right click on the speaker / sound / volume icon on the right hand side of the task bar and set the audio output to be the onboard audio / headphone socket output.
It should be as simple as that.
I shall give it a go later. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom