Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Self help book recommendation plz

Disjecta Membra

cashing reality checks but cant even pay atention.
Could anyone recommend me some great books about feminism, not the history of feminism as such or the emancipation of women in a patriarchy society or anything but more, i guess self helpy(tho that can be an awful field) My ex partner needs some help coming to terms with alot of things and get a better understanding of life as a woman. Shes suffered both the abuse of men in many forms(literally and in a controlling marriage, not me obvs) and her own self hate and self harm for a long time. So a book about respecting oneself, self worth, some psychology, how masochism works, maybe over coming trauma, a better understanding of womans issues in society generally, I dunno the whole gambit really. Just something wholesome and reaffirming and empowering, preferably not to dense or intellectual but a good easy(ish) book to give her the tools to understand herself and society and face past realities and move on. Cheers, I know thats vague as fuck but if anyone can think of anything good it'd be a great help.

ooops feminism's not the word i was looking for but i mean at least a book specifically for woman...

Move thread to knobbing and sobbing?

Hope in the Dark by Rebecca Solnit?

Delusions of Gender by Cordelia Fine?

Could anyone recommend me some great books about feminism, not the history of feminism as such or the emancipation of women in a patriarchy society or anything but more, i guess self helpy(tho that can be an awful field) My ex partner needs some help coming to terms with alot of things and get a better understanding of life as a woman. Shes suffered both the abuse of men in many forms(literally and in a controlling marriage, not me obvs) and her own self hate and self harm for a long time. So a book about respecting oneself, self worth, some psychology, how masochism works, maybe over coming trauma, a better understanding of womans issues in society generally, I dunno the whole gambit really. Just something wholesome and reaffirming and empowering, preferably not to dense or intellectual but a good easy(ish) book to give her the tools to understand herself and society and face past realities and move on. Cheers, I know thats vague as fuck but if anyone can think of anything good it'd be a great help
Have you considered that if she wants a Self help book- this is something she could look for herself?
Ime anyone giving me a Self help book would piss me right off- despite best intentions. It smacks of a passive aggressive way of telling me I am not good enough and comes across as a little controlling.

I've been guilty of this approach myself in the past.

The point about Self help books is that the person has to decide themselves that they need help and really the best anyone can do is point them in the right direction for them to express if they wish.

I reccomend therapy though but again that's for her to decide.

Have you considered that if she wants a Self help book- this is something she could look for herself?
Ime anyone giving me a Self help book would piss me right off- despite best intentions. It smacks of a passive aggressive way of telling me I am not good enough and comes across as a little controlling.

I've been guilty of this approach myself in the past.

The point about Self help books is that the person has to decide themselves that they need help and really the best anyone can do is point them in the right direction for them to express if they wish.

I reccomend therapy though but again that's for her to decide.
they very much have asked for help...majorly and are starting therapy as well...But it's a tough situation but the more i write the more i think yield is right maybe move thread is best...

Could anyone recommend me some great books about feminism, not the history of feminism as such or the emancipation of women in a patriarchy society or anything but more, i guess self helpy(tho that can be an awful field) My ex partner needs some help coming to terms with alot of things and get a better understanding of life as a woman. Shes suffered both the abuse of men in many forms(literally and in a controlling marriage, not me obvs) and her own self hate and self harm for a long time. So a book about respecting oneself, self worth, some psychology, how masochism works, maybe over coming trauma, a better understanding of womans issues in society generally, I dunno the whole gambit really. Just something wholesome and reaffirming and empowering, preferably not to dense or intellectual but a good easy(ish) book to give her the tools to understand herself and society and face past realities and move on. Cheers, I know thats vague as fuck but if anyone can think of anything good it'd be a great help.
Our Bodies Ourselves, by the Boston Women’s Collective?

1636379266706.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom