Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Scrapping Return train fares?

Ted Striker

Foot's on the other hand
I've read this a few times, and still can't quite understand if the change will be a good thing or a bad thing (from a passenger pov)?

I buy 'open returns' (i.e. come back within a month on any off-peak train) fairly frequently, if only for convenience, optionality, and to lock-in the cost of the fare. Have I been doing it wrong all this time??

And if single tickets are mandated to cost exactly half the return, methinks the change won't necessarily be in the reduction in single tickets (and more like the increase in returns)

A trial of scrapping return tickets in a bid to make fares simpler will be extended as part of a shake-up of the country's railways.

The transport secretary will confirm on Tuesday that LNER, which operates trains along the East Coast mainline, will extend its trial of selling single tickets only on its routes.

Under the trial, a single is always half the cost of a return.

The government said such reforms could provide "better value" for passengers.

Currently, many singles are £1 less than a return.

Publicly-owned LNER operates trains between London and Peterborough, the East Midlands, Leeds and York, through to Newcastle, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Glasgow.
It has not been revealed if there are plans to roll out the trial at LNER to the country's other train operators.

As an example, LNER said that when its trial began in 2020 the cost of a super off-peak single ticket from London to Edinburgh would be £73.70 rather than £146.40, or £147.40 for a super off-peak return.

Railway expert Mark Smith said the reforms created a "simple all-one-way fares structure designed for easy sale through today's channels: internet, ticket machines and contactless".

He said the current ticket system "penalises" people making open-jaw or circular journeys rather than straightforward returns.

Singles can be eye-wateringly expensive.

You've not been doing it wrong under the current system. You might be one of the people to lose out in this new system, though. I don't know what percentage of people don't want returns. Probably quite low, in which case this change might not impact you too much (assuming they are aiming for the same total revenue).

National Express only do singles now. It works ok.

While of course there's an opportunity for price gouging with any major change to how fares are calculated, this seems like a sensible approach to me. It's such a pain in the arse that a single ticket is generally only a bit lower than a return. But I wonder how this will affect those routes that don't allow overnight returns - these are some of the worst prices at the moment. You can get a reasonable day return but travelling overnight costs you double. Hopefully the new single price would be much lower than it is now.

Yeah, I worry for the day return. I get those quite often and they are decent value. I think people who get those regularly will lose out. People who regularly get open returns probably won't lose out.

Booking returns in advance is generally pretty simple, especially if it's off-peak travel. I often don't want to specify a return time. Hopefully this won't make it standard that you need to.

For coaches, I can see why they need you to specify a time as coaches fill up. Trains don't have the same constraints.

Good for returning after thirty days or doing triangle routes i suppose.

Need to wait and see how the cost of singles actually works for normal there and back routes though.

Back
Top Bottom