Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ryanair baggage allowance, help me out here

Cloo

Approved by toads
OK, I got a deal whereby we all get 10kg bag hold bag thrown in. There's four of us and I'm not sure whether than means they'll only accept a max 10kg bag each, or if we could take two 20kg bags between us; can't see a clear explanation online, though one thing I can see is they don't want hold bags of over 23kg. We have some ski gear, so I think we will need a tad over 30kg altogether,

You can if you've paid:

Customers can pool or share their purchased baggage allowance with other passengers included in the same flight reservation when checking-in together.
For example, if a reservation has two checked bags of 20kg (40 kg in total) one of the bags could weigh 15kg and the other 25kg (40 kg in total).

I reckon you won't be allowed - Ryanair are such gouging fucks, there's no way they won't use it as an excuse to chuck the bigger bag in the hold and probably charge you for the privilege.

Can Baggage Allowance Be Combined for Hand Luggage?

Usually, combining the baggage allowance for hand luggage between different passengers is prohibited. For instance, you’re flying with your friend and both of you can have a 10 kg (22 lbs) carry-on, you can’t pack 5kg (11 lbs) in a single carry-on, and 15kg (33 lbs) in the other one – each one needs to be below 10kg (22 lbs.)

Do what one of my mates did a couple of years ago - wear all your gear. He's a boarder so got away with boots too :D

Last edited:
You can if you've paid:

Customers can pool or share their purchased baggage allowance with other passengers included in the same flight reservation when checking-in together.
For example, if a reservation has two checked bags of 20kg (40 kg in total) one of the bags could weigh 15kg and the other 25kg (40 kg in total).

I reckon you won't be allowed - Ryanair are such gouging fucks, there's no way they won't use it as an excuse to chuck the bigger bag in the hold and probably charge you for the privilege.

Can Baggage Allowance Be Combined for Hand Luggage?

Usually, combining the baggage allowance for hand luggage between different passengers is prohibited. For instance, you’re flying with your friend and both of you can have a 10 kg (22 lbs) carry-on, you can’t pack 5kg (11 lbs) in a single carry-on, and 15kg (33 lbs) in the other one – each one needs to be below 10kg (22 lbs.)

Do what one of my mates did a couple of years ago - wear all gear. He's a boarder so got away with boots too :D

That doesn't sound unreasonable TBF. You can't just let people combine their allowances to put one massively heavy item in the overhead locker - it's not safe

Yeah, we've paid, and I'm talking about hold luggage, not hand - I did chuck in a 20kg hold bag as well as it wasn't too expensive, just in case I'd misunderstood anything! So sounds like we won't need that, but thanks for clarification. Felt it was better safe than sorry!

Hand luggage should be OK, though we only have the minimum which I think is standard backpack size, but not carry-one case. Other than the ski stuff, packing is fairly easy as we'll be going to my parents' place in Slovakia, so other than toothbrushes and deodorants, no toiletries to pack, and no towels.

The only time we've ever flown Ryanair the website made it clear that you couldn't combine hold luggage allowances if it's 10kg each for two people and one has 8kg and one has 12kg then the 12kg is going to get stuck with extra charges.

So might be safest for aim for one 20kg bag (which I've paid for on top of the 10kgs) and two smallers of 10kg or less.

So might be safest for aim for one 20kg bag (which I've paid for on top of the 10kgs) and two smallers of 10kg or less.
Hello Cloo, how big was your suitcase that was 20kgs? I have a 20kgs luggage allowance and have no idea what that means in size terms. I mean, I know it will vary, depending on whether I fill it with boots and shoes and books and heavy stuff or more lightweight stuff, but I was just wanting a general idea as to whether that's small, medium, or large suitcase size, ish?

Hello Cloo, how big was your suitcase that was 20kgs? I have a 20kgs luggage allowance and have no idea what that means in size terms. I mean, I know it will vary, depending on whether I fill it with boots and shoes and books and heavy stuff or more lightweight stuff, but I was just wanting a general idea as to whether that's small, medium, or large suitcase size, ish?
Medium size will rock in at about 20kg. Make sure you weigh it. It's like £70 now if you're over.

It was a largish one...we found in practice that automated check-in just adds up the weight of your cases, so you can split your allowance between multiple bags.

Back
Top Bottom