Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ruddy Yurts RIP

Santino

lovelier than lovely
Just heard that the seminal jazz-fusion bassoonist Ruddy Yurts has passed away. I'll always remember seeing him set the stage on fire at the Ealing Jazz Festival in '03 with the Ruddy Yurts Octet.

Best album's got to be either 10,000 GigaYurts or the original Mono pressing of Love Yurts.

Any other fans out there?

i saw him the other night as he crawled down the gutters of hoxton street so it was no surprise to find that ruddy yurts-smythe (to give him his full name) has died of alcoholic poisoning.

I recall watching him die metaphorically on stage at Ronnie Scotts. It was sad really, a man robbed of his powers. Courtney Pine claims him as a huge influence.

I think he was very talented, but its fair to say his playing was highly derivative from a lot east siberian folk traditions. RIP Ruddy. Play on player....

Onto the third disc of my Ruddy And The Ferris Wheelers Boxed Set. I hope he's up in the big beyond somewhere jamming with Denton Weekes and Fish-lips McGee right now.

It's ironic really, his one-time collaborator and (hostile imo) biographer Svetlana Candice died in the same week, choking on one of those novelty mini-mouth organs you get in posh christmas crackers.

Seems the heavenly choir will be a little less traditional and a bit more jazz this month.

I have to confess to being completely ignorant of his work until T-Mobile used 'Manglewurzle on the Z train' to advertise their flexi tarriff in 2004. I've been a devoted fan since. I especially love his live from McArthur Park album. Totally jerked my chicken.

Last edited:
Barely even knew he was alive and certainly can't be bothered to mourn his passing. One fewer jazzman - hardly merits a thread.

He wasn't just a jazzman though. He also recorded the sounds used on Spanish road crossings to help the blind. Show some respect please.

Urban's nil nisi mentality again. He was a surly and foul-mouthed wife-beater, according to the Graun obit, and he probably spent the royalties from the Spanish transport authorities on unfairly-traded crack.

A painful reminder of Ruddy's first and only appearance on I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue. I've never managed to listen to the whole recording, it's just so toe-curling.

A painful reminder of Ruddy's first and only appearance on I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue. I've never managed to listen to the whole recording, it's just so toe-curling.

It took the lovely Samantha some weeks to recover after blowing valiantly on Ruddy's bassoon.

This is a hoax.

Yurts' newsagent is one of my best friends and he reliably assured me this morning that Yurts was in only yesterday, buying the same as he did every visit: a Daily Telegraph (none of us ever knew why he was so devoted to that paper....they fucking hated him), an Irn Bru, a raisin and biscuit Yorkie and two Pritt Sticks.

I remember the first time I saw Ruddy Yurts at a festival. It was the mid 90s, and it was something different. I'd heard people talking about the ethnic influence, the structure, the decoration, and symbolism; I had to experience it for myself. I'll admit I'd never really got into Ruddy Yurts before that, but I did that day. I'd say it was intense, but somehow that doesn't quite cover it.

It's unfair really that his reputation is tarnished by the number of middle class white Western Europeans who are fans. But they're mostly fair weather friends, who got into Yurts at festivals. But that's not what Yurts was about. His was a life lived on the road. RIP Yurts.

Back
Top Bottom