Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

RNA vaccines, other uses...

HAL9000

Story this week..

Using mRNA technology, the same approach used in two of the COVID-19 vaccines available in the United States, may help broken bones heal more effectively, a study published Wednesday by the journal Science Advances found.

In experiments conducted in rats, messenger ribonucleic acid, or mRNA, which essentially instructs human genes how to manufacture proteins for immunity and healing, helps boost production of cartilage and ultimately bone, researchers said.

Interview with one of the Scientists, she highlighted that in rare cases some people have fractures that have not healed after years. If this works in humans, the hope is that it will help with difficult fractures and may be it might help with more common fractures.

Another application for mRNA technology is treating heart problems, there's a lot of medical terms which I don't fully understand. The idea is to use mRNA to reprogram the immune system to remove cells which cause scarring...

The Penn team designed mRNAs that could turn regular T cells into therapeutic CAR-T cells inside the body to target heart fibrosis, a scarring from cardiac injury that impairs heart function. In a mouse model of heart failure, an injection of the therapy removed cells called activated fibroblasts, leading to a significant reduction of fibrosis and improvement in heart function. The researchers published the results in the journal Science.

This has only been tested in mice, I assume if it works in humans it would be given when a patient is treated for a heart attack.

Couple of issues..

However, fibroblast activation is part of the normal wound-healing process. Therefore, continuous suppressing of fibroblast could pose a safety risk if the patient experiences an injury.

in this study...

The researchers observed consistent anti-FAP CAR T-cells two days after the injection, while the population declined to undetectable levels in about a week.

so that might be acceptable.
This last part...

There’s one caveat to the Penn team’s current approach, though. Despite an improvement in interstitial fibrosis, the mRNA treatment still left behind some persistent FAP-negative perivascular fibrosis, the researchers noted.

The interstitial fibrosis contributes to the stiffness of the heart, which impairs both the pump function and the relaxation, resulting in cardiac dysfunction, Aghajanian explained. Perivascular fibrosis can affect oxygen and nutrient exchange that may worsen heart disease.

perivascular​
/ˌpɛrɪˈvaskjʊlə/​
adjective
Medicine​

adjective: perivascular
  1. situated or occurring around a blood vessel.​
The other issue is that immuno therapies have side effects, I assume it would be the same as listed for cancer treatment..
Some types of immunotherapy may cause severe or even fatal allergic and inflammation-related reactions. However, these reactions are rare.​

If this can be made to work in humans and is safe, its interesting since it could be given like the current mRNA vaccine.
Other researchers are looking to use this mRNA technology to stimulate the formation of new blood vessels and help to repair damaged heart muscle. My guess is that with this type of treatment the challenge will be to get the mRNA into the correct part of the body and stay in that area long enough to do some good.

Last edited:
I don't really understand much of that but I am sure there are some very clever people who do and are thinking up very clever things they can do it with this.
As well as some absolute morons who don't understand it any more (and probably even less) than I do who will be doing their own 'research' and declaring it to all be part of The Plan.

Back
Top Bottom