Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

RIP Richard H. Kirk - Cabaret Voltaire / Sandoz / Sweet Exorcist and many more

Very shocked and saddened to hear this. Can’t say I followed his career closely but much respect for his early stuff with the Cabs particularly

Oh no :(

That's really unexpected. He's been putting out as much music as ever lately.

He may be a man of many aliases but he's always been the bloke out of Cabaret Voltaire to me, whatever he called himself. Keeping up with all his non-Cabs stuff is difficult - there's so much of it: 19 albums under his own name, 10 as Sandoz, loads of others with different names and in different groups. It's good when musicians can just make some music, put it out and move onto the next thing, more like an artist's sketchbook where they can try stuff out than the music industry cycle where every album has to be a hit.

I love all eras of Cabaret Voltaire and I've got a smattering of his other stuff. But where the fuck is my copy of Sandoz in Dub, that he recorded after visiting Jamaica in the late 90s? I know I've got it on a promo-CD somewhere, but I haven't been able to find it in years.

RIP

Oh no. Really sad news. Richard was a top bloke and a very generous person. I still have a VHS he sent me of the Cabs early works. I'll really miss him.

I realised that if I started posting all my favourite CV tracks I'd be here all night, so here's some non-CV tracks that I love:

Richard H Kirk - Hipnotic (1986)

Xon - Dissonance (1991)

Sandoz - Chant to Jah (1998)

Richard H Kirk & Pat Riot - Brimg it Down/Crashing Around (2004)

I used to work for Warp when it was in Sheffield (I may have mentioned that before) and Steve knew that I was a huge Cabaret Voltaire fan so one night he brought Richard round to my flat in Pitsmoor. He had just finished an album in Fon Studios and they had an acetate cutter so he brought me one round. I jumped up to put it on, really excited, thinking he could talk me through the tracks and he just looked at me and said “please don’t. I’ve just spent the past 3 months listening to that.” But still, really lovely bloke.

RIP Richard. H. Kirk.

Back
Top Bottom