Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

RIP Peter Whittingham, Cardiff City winger (also A Villa, Blackburn)

editor

hiraethified
RIP. Great player for the club.

Peter Whittingham.jpg

In eleven seasons at Cardiff, Whittingham played 457 competitive matches and scored 96 goals, putting him seventh all-time appearances list and ninth among their goalscorers. In his time at the club, they won the Championship in 2013, and reached the 2008 FA Cup Final and 2012 Football League Cup Final. He was named three times in the Championship's PFA Team of the Year, and his 20-goal haul in 2009–10 made him the division's top scorer.

Last edited:
editor there is NO confirmation anywhere of this news.
The club have had no word from family.
Chopra almost certainly tweeted on basis of rumours.
No official source is reporting this.

it may well be true ( a friend messaged me that he knew someone who worked in ICU), but the complete lack of any news at all is very bizarre.

it’s also being mentioned that it was a result of an incident in a well known Barry pub after the wales rugby game last week. Barry is a small town, it would have been common knowledge if true.

editor there is NO confirmation anywhere of this news.
The club have had no word from family.
Chopra almost certainly tweeted on basis of rumours.
No official source is reporting this.

it may well be true ( a friend messaged me that he knew someone who worked in ICU), but the complete lack of any news at all is very bizarre.

it’s also being mentioned that it was a result of an incident in a well known Barry pub after the wales rugby game last week. Barry is a small town, it would have been common knowledge if true.
I'll change the title but it is strange that it's neither been confirmed or denied.

This has been up all day RIP 'Whitts' - Bluebirds Ace With Magic In His Boots - Dai Sport

I hope he's still alive. When I posted it the wikipedia page said he'd died but I really should have known better :facepalm:

From the BBC:

The ex-England Under-21 international suffered the injuries after an "accidental" fall in a pub in Barry.

:hmm::hmm::hmm:

The original rumours were indeed correct. Very sad.
Club Statement | Peter Whittingham
Club News

2 minutes ago
It is with an immeasurable amount of sorrow that we must inform supporters that Peter Whittingham has passed away at the age of 35.
We are heartbroken.
The news of Peter’s sudden and untimely passing has shaken us to our very foundation. Our love goes out to his wife Amanda, their young son and family. They are at the forefront of our thoughts and, on their behalf, we ask for their privacy to be respected at this unfathomably cruel and difficult time.
First and foremost, Peter was a family man - and somebody who could light up a room with his sense of humour, warmth and personality. Then, as a professional footballer - as a Bluebird - he excelled with talent, ease, grace and humility. Nobody did it better.
The loss of Peter will be painfully felt by our city, supporters and indeed all who ever had the pleasure of knowing him. We love you Pete and your memory will eternally stay with us.

RIP, Whitts. Terrible news. Loved watching him play - such a class act at championship level.

I was destroyed by this news yesterday I feel like I’ve lost a family member. He was my son’s first football hero, that he’s been taken away so young is heartbreaking. Always saw him out locally as he married a Barry girl. He always had time to talk to anyone. The word legend is over used, but Whitts is and always will be a legend in the truest sense of the word. I don’t think it’s any coincidence that his 10 years at Cardiff City were our most successful 10 years since the 1920s. In all honesty he was too good for us and should have been plying his trade at a higher level, and his loyalty to city is something that is a rarity in the modern game.

If we had a penalty or a free kick within 30 yards of goal you used to wonder why they wasted time taking the kick. I recall a game at Ninian Park in about 2008/9, we had a free kick and the crowd started singing Whitt’s song, “ he does what he likes”, a guy next to me asked why they were singing that. The free kick sailed into the top corner out of reach of any keeper in the world. He didn’t need to ask again!

It’ll be a long time, and probably not in my lifetime, before we see a player of his talent at Cardiff again!

There are various ideas of how the club should mark his contribution, retire the shirt, a statue, etc. If we cast his likeness in bronze I hope they make sure the left foot is gold plated.

if they decide to name a stand after him I hope the club have the sense to ensure that’s it not either of those behind either goal. The opportunity for opposition fans and commentators to refer to Whitts End would be irresistible in years to come.

Thanks PW7 for all the memories.

Fly high Bluebird.

Last edited:
Cardiff City manage to fuck up on regular basis both on and off the pitch, but sometimes they get things spot on.

This is the video they played yesterday during a silence to remember all the fans that have died since we were last allowed n the stadium, and of course Whitts.

Back
Top Bottom