Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

RIP Monsignor Bruce Kent

I volunteered at some events for youth CND many years ago. It was a great organisation, and Bruce Kent turned up at many events, always personable and a generally admirable chap.

This part in the obituary is lovely:

theirs was nonetheless a very blessed union, built on a shared commitment to peace and justice, a gospel-based Christianity, and an unadulterated delight in having been lucky enough to find each other.

It sounds hagiographic (and obviously it's very religious), but some marriages are just that well suited and happy.

Here is his Guardian obituary -- looks well worth a read, I'll get onto that tomoorow.

Plus :

Interesting Guardian editorial

The Guardian said:
As an 80th birthday present, there is probably nothing that Bruce Kent wants less this week than a paean in the public press. Whether as general secretary of the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament during one of the movement's dynamic and active periods in the 80s or now, as a campaigner on behalf of the wrongly imprisoned at home and abroad, Kent has been an inspiration to many and a comfort to those whose cause he has adopted. Part of his great charm has always been a very active sense of humour and - perhaps the legacy of his years as a young Catholic priest - the firm belief that he was always less important that the campaigns he espoused. His regular presence on a demonstration or at a public meeting is always a reminder that the political activist's work is never done but also that battles need to be fought with camaraderie and hope. Only recently, he was in touch with the Guardian to press the case of a man whom he believes to have been wrongly jailed for murder and to ask why we had not made a greater link between military spending and poverty in a recent supplement on the subject. He has also involved himself on behalf of people detained under terror laws. A couple of years ago, the Daily Telegraph, no great fan of his policies on disarmament, described this former tank officer as "a pillar of our great national tradition of political radicalism, stretching from Wilkes to Hazlitt and from the Chartists to the Suffragettes". Quite right, too - and many happy returns.

Also :
Guardian headline said:
Bruce Kent: tributes paid as peace campaigner dies aged 92

Underneath which is a pretty good aticle! (IMO)

Last edited:
I've got a half-memory that I saw Bruce Kent speak at Glastonbury 1984 (my first!). newbie -- was he actually there, that year?? :confused:

I was a CND member at the time, and he seemed impressive, if I remember right! I have such vague recall on this though! :confused: :oops:

Much more recently (2017 or so?) some pals of ours who are very involved in local CND things here in Swansea**, managed to persuade Monsignor Kent into a Quaker Meeting Room ( :D ) in town for a meeting.

He spoke extremely well, was the star attraction, fairly large turn-ot ... and he hung around chatting with everyone afterwards. Such a nuce man!! :)

RIP Bruce Kent! :(

** (this couple have been organisers, later leaders, of one of the Property Lock-Up Tents (the Swansea CND one) at Glastonbury since for ever ... I will ask them in a fortnight about Bruce Kent, as they seemed to know him personally. They know shedloads about CND campaigning history generally, as well as at Glastonbury!)

Sad To Hear Of His Passing!
Dignified, Honourable & Integral Peacenik!
R.I.P.

Something I really respect about him was that he remained active for the cause to his dying die, and at 92 that's no mean feat. Inspirational on that level

Back
Top Bottom