Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

RIP Mary Wilson

Fedayn

Mary Wilson, who co-founded The Supremes and remained a member of the group until they split up, has died at the age of 76.

images

I wasn’t a great fan of the Supremes, my cousin, with whom I lived, was. Their music formed a huge part of my life at that time.

RIP Mary.

Sad news, what a great legacy though. 76 doesn't seem like a lot these days.

this probably isnt the time to say it but motown, like most capitalist endeavors, was pretty horrible. mary was used like everyone else but, as the clip above shows, she benefitted from being better looking and slimmer than the much better singers whose voices are on the records.

this probably isnt the time to say it but motown, like most capitalist endeavors, was pretty horrible. mary was used like everyone else but, as the clip above shows, she benefitted from being better looking and slimmer than the much better singers whose voices are on the records.

Yep, aye granted it was important and made history, The Supremes invented 'the blockbuster' but the profit motive was always there and reigned but with all that shite accepted it produced some fucking outstanding music and really did change history. Imagine a world without the music that Motown produced.... Grim indeed

No it isn't the time to say it :mad:

(I get the point, but an RIP thread is not the right place for this discussion).

The Andentes are the real unsung stars of Motown. Only released one, very rare, single and we're held back by Gordy who saw more value in them being backing singers.

Rip Mary Wilson

No it isn't the time to say it :mad:

(I get the point, but an RIP thread is not the right place for this discussion).
shes famous for being a singer yet i expect you dont even know whether the actual singers of her parts are dead or alive. where is the respect there? marys success was in part built on the talent ed voices of others. the reason being she was prettier and could stand and pose better than the actual singers.

Very sad news -- and really unexpected too :(

I absolutely loved plenty of those classic tunes ..... :cool:

This BBC profile by Mark Savage seems largely based on various interviews she did, but still has plenty of interesting detail, and some links to a hit or two as well :)

The Guardian tribute by Alexis Petridis seems better .......

And here's the Guardian obituary by Richard Williams

Looking forward to reading those properly tomorrow, but mainly I'm looking forward to listening again to more songs ........ :)

Back
Top Bottom