Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

RIP Maggie Smith

RIP for a wonderful and very talented actress.

She'll live on not only in our memory, but with having played so many roles over her career.

I’ve a sneaky suspicion that Downton Abbey movie was just to get our Maggie back on the silver screen one last time cos she so absolutely deserved it.

An absolute legend. Misty eyed here.

RIP Maggie Luv xx

1000007853.jpg
I am a teacher! I am a teacher, first, last, always! Do you imagine that for one instant I will let that be taken from me without a fight? I have dedicated, sacrificed my life to this profession. And I will not stand by like an inky little slacker and watch you rob me of it and for what? For what reason? For jealousy! Because I have the gift of claiming girls for my own. It is true I am a strong influence on my girls. I am proud of it! I influence them to be aware of all the possibilities of life... of beauty, honor, courage. I do not, Miss Mackay, influence them to look for slime where it does not exist! I am going. When my class convenes, my pupils will find me composed and prepared to reveal to them the succession of the Stuarts. And on Sunday, I will go to Cramond to visit Mr. Lowther. We are accustomed, bachelor and spinster, to spend our Sundays together in sailing and walking the beaches and in the pursuit of music. Mr. Lowther is teaching me to play the mandolin. Good day, Miss Mackay!

💚

The scene...

When the first Harry Potter books came out, before the films were even cast, I read them to my eldest daughter. I did the Miss Jean Brodie voice for Prof MacGonnigal just because it felt right. When Smith was eventually cast in the role, I knew she’d reprise the voice for the part.

Someone still remembers. RIP.

I'm currently re-reading the book (have a beautiful copy of the Folio one with the Beryl Cook illustrations) and she's there, so vividly, in it. I can see and hear her while reading it.

I love that this particular performance is being given the attention it deserves.

Back
Top Bottom