Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

RIP Jack Medley aka SW9

Fucksake. I’m devastated and absolutely livid at the same time. He just seemed to be getting his shit together.

Loveliest man but an absolute fucking nightmare <3 Lose it matey xx
His Reggae Shack at the Windmill was brilliantly shambolic. First time I got to know him was when I booked his band Filthy Pedro at the Albert. Someone at the bar offered him a pint when he was onstage, so off he went to collect it. Mid song :D

His Reggae Shack at the Windmill was brilliantly shambolic. First time I got to know him was when I booked his band Filthy Pedro at the Albert. Someone at the bar offered him a pint when he was onstage, so off he went to collect it. Mid song :D
He used to message me in the middle of the night for no particular reason. Just utter shite. Have just read back through the series of messages he sent me in 2011 to ask me to play the anti folk festival at the Windmill and it’s madness. Except I advised him to drop a new band down the bill cos they were being twats. That band was the Fat White Family :D:rolleyes::facepalm: I’d completely forgotten till I just reread our messages.

He used to message me in the middle of the night for no particular reason. Just utter shite.
I got those messages too, right up to a few days ago. Completely bonkers but lovely messages. He was unique. Crazy but always kind. I'm really fucking upset. I went to the Albert tonight and had a shitload of shots in tribute to a lovely guy. RIP Jack.

I ended up in the Albert tonight and got smashed after toasting Jack many many times. I'm told he died of a pulmonary embolism. That's made me cry quite a bit. Jack was bloody unique. Crazy, mad, impulsive, reckless but he'd never hurt a fly.

RIP Jack.

So sad!
Didn't he live in Brighton for the last few years? He was certainly crazy, but also very intelligent, caring, big-hearted and funny. And more than anything he hated Yuppies. They made him 'freak out' and 'lose it' on a half-hourly basis. :D Yet for some reason he was really into golf :D
Lovely man. Many people will miss him terribly. RIP

So sad!
Didn't he live in Brighton for the last few years? He was certainly crazy, but also very intelligent, caring, big-hearted and funny. And more than anything he hated Yuppies. They made him 'freak out' and 'lose it' on a half-hourly basis. :D Yet for some reason he was really into golf :D
Lovely man. Many people will miss him terribly. RIP

Yeah - he'd been living that way for a few years.

Sad news. RIP & all the best at this difficult time to those that new him irl.:(

Hey all, we’re trying to raise funds to get Jack Medley’s Secure Men pressed on vinyl. Also there’ll be a megaparty fundraiser for the family on 26th May with loads of his favourite bands and all sorts of madcap lose it shenanigans. Go fund me link for vinyl below, will post ticket link here once it’s gone live...Lose it xx

Click here to support Jack Medleys Secure Men LP Campaign organized by Team Lose It

Hey all, we’re trying to raise funds to get Jack Medley’s Secure Men pressed on vinyl. Also there’ll be a megaparty fundraiser for the family on 26th May with loads of his favourite bands and all sorts of madcap lose it shenanigans. Go fund me link for vinyl below, will post ticket link here once it’s gone live...Lose it xx

Click here to support Jack Medleys Secure Men LP Campaign organized by Team Lose It

When Jack Medley left us all for the big megarave in the sky, it became clearer than ever just how much this force of nature meant to such a huge bunch of people. To Lose It with him was to love him.

It’s brutal to say bye to such an unfeasibly kind, hilarious, thoughtful and creative soul who had so many brilliant (ridiculous) plans ahead of him. Some of those plans, we sadly can’t realise–things like festival gigs involving a small onstage fire, playing in a band with live farm animals, hosting his own gameshow, or visiting the dentist in plastic Halloween fangs—but one we can: to release his and his Secure Men partner in crime Dom Keen’s LP on vinyl.

The track (and sensibility) Lose It is a hypnotic, tekno-powered belter for lovers and loseits everywhere—a product of Brighton, and the universal, basic human drive to lose it and just bask in being really fucking secure.

We’re hoping to raise enough cash to make this record a reality, and help out Jack’s family at a time the man himself would probably sum up as “terrible” (while simultaneously advising us all to “suck it up.”)

Give it some support if you can, because if you met Jack, he would be supporting you, very very loudly.

Over £2,000 raised already :thumbs:

Next Sunday 26th May. A very special tribute to Jack:

JACK MEDLEY'S SECURE AS FUCK MEGARAVE
£10
The Windmill
22 Blenheim Gardens, London SW2 5BZ

Procession (Windrush Sq) at 1:00 PM

When Jack Medley left us all for the big megarave in the sky, it became clearer than ever just how much this force of nature meant to such a huge bunch of people. To Lose It with him was to love him.

Team Lose It are putting on a megarave to say goodbye to one of life’s greatest larger than life megadudes - an all day epic for his friends and family to laugh, to cry, to suck it up, to deal with it and, most importantly, to lose it celebrating the life of one of the greatest mofos we’ve ever had the privilege of knowing. There'll be a New Orleans style procession, Secure Men merch (buy buy buy!), the return of Jack's Reggae Shack, free Mohawks, a Jack Medley tribute wall, a secure as fuck gameshow, food, booze, dancing bears, appearances from the legendary hair clippers + music from his favourite megadudes:

Warmduscher Club Serf House Band Filthy Pedro Insecure Men Jack Medleys Secure Women Meatraffle Misty Miller Phobophobes Pit Ponies Sleaze Scrappy Hood Spin Master Plant Pot MC Pat Lyons

If you're joining in the procession (all welcome!), please be at Windrush Sq to collect your wristband at 1pm (look for a bear). If not, collect from the Windmill from 2pm.

All proceeds to go to the family to help with funeral costs. Let’s dig big people and dig deep - strap on your best sunglasses and your wildest leopard print, grab that can of Dragon Soop and let’s lose it.

Presented by Team Lose It

This is an 18+ event

JACK MEDLEY'S SECURE AS FUCK MEGARAVE Tickets | £10 | 26th May @ The Windmill, London | DICE

Nice piece in the Quietus

Medley was also involved in a variety of musical acts before forming Jack Medley's Secure Men, including Milk Kan and Filthy Pedro. He was involved in the Brighton Antifolk Festival, while Filthy Pedro's website called him "the most Rock'n'Roll musician in all Antifolk history". He was known for his chaotic stage presence and gigantic personality, as well as his infectious sense of humour.

"He knew how to not take things too seriously," Soan said. "And he forced you not to take things too seriously, either."
The Quietus | News | Crowdfund Launched For Late Jack Medley

Some photos from the event. RIP Jack. I think you would have approved.

jack-medley-fat-whites-01.jpg

jack-medley-fat-whites-10.jpg

jack-medley-fat-whites-15.jpg

In photos: Fat White Family headline tribute to Jack Medley at the Brixton Windmill, Sunday 26th May 2019

twistedAM

Here it is.

When Jack Medley left us for that Megarave in the sky, his friends, family and fellow loseits came together to send him off in the true and proper style befitting one of the greatest mofos any of us have ever had the privilege of losing it with.

Back
Top Bottom