Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

RIP Edna O'Brien 1930 - 2024

Piece in the graun for Thomas not familiar with her and how she was perceived (by some) in Ireland back in the day.

To be honest.....Edna needs to be remembered not for the hypocrisy of those people...who themselves were crushed and controlled.

I think her last book "Girl" shows how unbelievably honest and dedicated Edna was. Her search for truth was extraordinary. Aged in her 80s she travelled to Nigeria to meet girls who had been kidnapped by Boko Haram. The resulting book...is hard to read but compelling and nuanced between the extreme atrocities meted out on its pages.

She was an extraordinary author.
She deserves every accolade given to her. Every prize.

And our memories of her should reflect HER greatness...not the idiocy and crushed remembrance of an Ireland that is gone. HER truthfulness has survived and will continue to reverberate around the world of literature for the future.

Last edited:
To be honest.....Edna needs to be remembered not for the hypocrisy of those people...who themselves were crushed and controlled.

I think her last book "Girl" shows how unbelievably honest and dedicated Edna was. Her search for truth was extraordinary. Aged in her 80s she travelled to Nigeria to meet girls who had been kidnapped by Boko Haram. The resulting book...is hard to read but compelling and nuanced between the extreme atrocities melted out on its pages.

She was an extraordinary author.
She deserves every accolade given to her. Every prize.

And our memories of her should reflect HER greatness...not the idiocy and crushed remembrance of an Ireland that is gone. HER truthfulness has survived and will continue to reverberate around the world of literature for the future.
Agreed, apart from the wishful thinking that puritan prudish Ireland is vanquished. Unfortunately, it's very much alive and kicking, albeit on the fringes.

But maybe that's for a different thread. This is to remember the woman.

Am ashamed to say, was lent one of her books years ago and did not read. Or, if I did, can't remember a damn thing about it. Will rectify this soon.

Agreed, apart from the wishful thinking that puritan prudish Ireland is vanquished. Unfortunately, it's very much alive and kicking, albeit on the fringes.

But maybe that's for a different thread. This is to remember the woman.

Am ashamed to say, was lent one of her books years ago and did not read. Or, if I did, can't remember a damn thing about it. Will rectify this soon.

I don't think Ireland is as you think it is.
And yes..this is not for this thread.

Although The Country Girls will probably compound an incensed hatred of an older Ireland......the one nobody under 30 recognises.

Except those who suffer from increased attacks and discrimination because of their heritage and or sexuality...

As for EOB I do remember her being vilified by some right up into the 90s :(

Mrs Idris told me that Edna O'B. had an affair with Mad Dog Glinchey . . . who was one of the Bad Guys, for those who don't know the name.

She was also amazed that I never actually read EO'B - so I downloaded August is a Wicked Month, and it's not bad at all. Like stepping back into my parents' generation. Though my mum was never a divorcee who threw her wedding ring into the sea.

Anyone who doubts her historical significance should ponder this:

1722424647703.png

It's a middle-brow mass market paperback novel from the late 60s, where she appears in the thinnest of disguises as scandalous lady playwright "Felicity O'Connor." (the theme is the rapid social change of the Lemass years - other characters include a thinly-veiled Gay Byrne, and an ex-navvy who clawed his way off the sites to be a millionaire property developer).

My point is, that's how major a figure she was, in Ireland in the old days.

Anyone who doubts her historical significance should ponder this:

View attachment 435851

It's a middle-brow mass market paperback novel from the late 60s, where she appears in the thinnest of disguises as scandalous lady playwright "Felicity O'Connor." (the theme is the rapid social change of the Lemass years - other characters include a thinly-veiled Gay Byrne, and an ex-navvy who clawed his way off the sites to be a millionaire property developer).

My point is, that's how major a figure she was, in Ireland in the old days.
Fascinating wiki entry on the writer, will be keeping an eye out when next trawling the pulp shelves...

'Girl' was an outstanding book from Edna. I have never had such an absolutely terrifying, if fleeting, existentialist fear, as I did when I read in this book about the girl that what was placed in a hole in the ground with only her head above, as she is slowly stoned to her death for her promiscuity. Really powerful writing.

I can understand why her early (publisher) boyfriend~husband who she eloped with said something along the lines of: 'Yes, you can write and I hate you for it'. Fecker.

RIP Edna. She lived her life fully and well. Respect.

Back
Top Bottom