Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

RIP David Jolicoeur aka Plug 2 aka Trugoy the Dove of De La Soul

Crispy

The following psytrance is baṉned: All

Well that fucking sucks :(

They'd finaly got their music out from under Tommy Boy too, coming to all the music platforms in March.

My first piece of music by them was their Greatest Hits put out in 2003. Me, a JVC boom box, and that CD was pretty much all I needed in a my little council flat :D

Oh I loved them. Was a big fan. They came to my poly to gig, when there was a big footy match on, can’t remember - Euros was it? Would’ve been ‘90 or ‘91. Gazza was a player anyway, I can remember that much. My housemate was the student uni manager at the time. Had to explain to them why the auditorium was only half full, even though the gig was sold out. Anyway, sounds mad doesn’t it, but they offered to pause the gig so everyone (including they themselves) could watch the match. Then they continued and finished the gig AND stayed for the disco. I did boogie on down with him, my other housemate may have tried to snog Posnudo, who she was obsessed with. Such a sound bunch of lads. RIP Trugoy.

Oh I loved them. Was a big fan. They came to my poly to gig, when there was a big footy match on, can’t remember - Euros was it? Would’ve been ‘90 or ‘91. Gazza was a player anyway, I can remember that much. My housemate was the student uni manager at the time. Had to explain to them why the auditorium was only half full, even though the gig was sold out. Anyway, sounds mad doesn’t it, but they offered to pause the gig so everyone (including they themselves) could watch the match. Then they continued and finished the gig AND stayed for the disco. I did boogie on down with him, my other housemate may have tried to snog Posnudo, who she was obsessed with. Such a sound bunch of lads. RIP Trugoy.

Good times :cool:

Oh wow only just seen this , that's so shit and so young. Huge figures in music, hard to imagine now how much backlash there was against De La from within the rap world when they came out. Total groundbreakers

Trugoy is Yogurt backwards btw

Oh wow only just seen this , that's so shit and so young. Huge figures in music, hard to imagine now how much backlash there was against De La from within the rap world when they came out. Total groundbreakers

Trugoy is Yogurt backwards btw

Recall the backlash in some sections of the music press when the second album was released, the title and album cover seemed to irk the fans of DAISY age debut.

Also, can't believe never got the Yogurt backwards thing!!!

Recall the backlash in some sections of the music press when the second album was released, the title and album cover seemed to irk the fans of DAISY age debut.

Also, can't believe never got the Yogurt backwards thing!!!
yeah there was a ridiculous 'theyre too soft' attitude from substantial parts of the rap world which i think really winded them - the follow up album is a bit depressing like that, in that they're clearly hurt on it. the rap landscape has changed so much in terms of acceptance and celebration of nonconformity - just generally more plural

and yes trugoy is yogurt and posdnous is sopsound backwards which was.... i cant quite remember what, but the name of some early music project of his

Last edited:
also another bit of De La Lore about the plug one plug two thing is the tune Plug Tunin that cements that nickname samples this old doo wop record
and the label says Plug Side instead of A, for some reason (perhaps the side the record company wanted radio pluggers to plug?)

My01OTI5LmpwZWc.jpeg

De La are getting some media right now because the back catalogue has finally gone online yesterday I think - am really enjoying this interview, particularly them talking about early days and relationship with Dave, but its all here
gets emotional as youd expect

Last edited:
Was proper gutted to hear this, especially co-inciding with having finally overcome all the years of sample clearance wrangling...

De La (and the whole Native Tongues thing) was such a pleasant departure in 1989 from a lot of other hip-hop. 3 Feet was an immense album, as was Is Dead. They then dropped from my view really as I was so submerged in hardcore/jungle until Stakes Is High. If Dilla's original wasn't great enough, this Bossa remix of it is just sublime :cool:

I saw De La at the Kentish Town Forum in 1997, and then at the Respect Festival in 2002. Two quite different gigs, but both times they were top shows.

They never half-arsed their live shows.
In the interview they talk about how they were kind of forced to make a strong live show their thing as they werent getting the royalties they expected so eaerly on leaned into the live thing as part of a conscious strategy.
i agree great live - a lot of live rap shows are pretty shit tbh -the times i saw them they smashed it - connect with the audience and tehyve got a flow where you can hear the lyrics
(one of the first gigs i went to, De La + 3rd bass town country club 89/90)

Last edited:
In the interview they talk about how they were kind of forced to make a strong live show their thing as they werent getting the royalties they expected so eaerly on leant into the live thing as part of a conscious strategy.

Yeah I saw it when you posted it, good interview that. A room full of genuinely like-able people all from that movement.

i agree great live - a lot of live rap shows are pretty shit tbh -the times i saw them they smashed it - connect with the audience and tehyve got a flow where you can hear the lyrics
(one of the first gigs i went to, De La + 3rd bass town country club 89/90)

I second this opinion.

Fuck me Dilla was so good wasn’t he!
what amazes me is the prolificness but also the crate digging strength
like the sample for stakes is high is the last 30 seconds on the last track of this album - when someone has done a genius sample i love to imagine them having sat down to listen to a whole album and then jump up with a eureka moment when The Moment comes up

ETA this is vibrations

what amazes me is the prolificness but also the crate digging strength
like the sample for stakes is high is the last 30 seconds on the last track of this album - when someone has done a genius sample i love to imagine them having sat down to listen to a whole album and then jump up with a eureka moment when The Moment comes up

ETA this is vibrations

I think with Ahmed Jamal you don’t need long to find something to loop

Just has Buhloone Mind State on at work - sounded way better than i remember...must be the sunshine..great album
Bought it on release. An album of my final year at school, summer nostalgia. I didn't know any De La fans back then, it was a bit of a nerdy solo obsession :)

I found all the albums a little bit of a let down after 3 feet high, i think that clouded my judgement. i did play it a fair amount at the time but was mainly busy losing my braincells with darkside hardcore junglism in 93 :S

Back
Top Bottom