Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

RIP Carlos Garnett (saxophonist - Art Blakey Jazz Messengers, Miles Davis)

stethoscope

Barely a few days after the passing of Wayne Shorter... news seems to be coming through of Carlos Garnett RIP :(

Light on news stories at present, but I have confidence that if anyone knows, Gilles Peterson will...

carlos.jpg

Member of Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers and also worked with Miles Davis and Pharaoh Sanders, but known for his spiritual jazz albums of the mid 70s. One of those, I've written about before, is particularly special to me - Black Love from 1974, an absolute monster of an LP featuring Norman Connors and Dee Dee Bridgewater.

Two tracks particularly on that album take me to another place...

Mother of the Future

Banks of the Nile

Not to forget the many jazz-funk flavours on Journey to Enlightenment, The New Love, Cosmos Nucleus, Let this Melody Ring On, but the first time I discovered Black Love evokes a special memory.

Many years ago in the early days of Youtube, I saw a post under the video for Mother of the Future, it read.. "My introduction to the ways of an anti-fascist life". That comment has always stayed with me.

Thanks for the music and emotions Carlos x

Last edited:
That’s very sad. I am not super familiar with his stuff as a band leader; I know him best from his work with Blakey and Miles. I will certainly seek out more of his own stuff.

Barely a few days after the passing of Wayne Shorter... news seems to be coming through of Carlos Garnett RIP :(

Light on new stories at present, but I have confidence that if anyone knows, Gilles Peterson will...

carlos.jpg

Member of Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers and also worked with Miles Davis and Pharaoh Sanders, but known for his spiritual jazz albums of the mid 70s. One of those, I've written about before, is particularly special to me - Black Love from 1974, an absolute monster of an LP featuring Norman Connors and Dee Dee Bridgewater.

Two tracks particularly on that album take me to another place...

Mother of the Future

Banks of the Nile

Not to forget the many jazz-funk flavours on Journey to Enlightenment, The New Love, Cosmos Nucleus, Let this Melody Ring On, but the first time I discovered Black Love is something that will never leave me.

Many years ago in the early days of Youtube, I saw a post under the video for Mother of the Future, it read.. "My introduction to the ways of an anti-fascist life". That comment has always stayed with me.

Thanks for the music and emotions Carlos x

someone i know through you posting Mother of the Future years ago on here....

Back
Top Bottom