Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Richer Sounds founder hands over control of hi-fi and TV firm to staff

Interesting piece:

Obstacles to employee ownership
If research over the years has found that employee ownership is a successful corporate model, this raises the question of why, if this makes companies more successful, it is not more widely adopted.

Most obviously, current companty owners may wish to retain their ownership, regardless of how much better their employees might prove to be as co–owners.

And for most public listed companies, the real owners of the company are institutional shareholders such as pension funds and the like, in which case there is no easy mechanism for bringing about employee ownership. And even where there is a single owner, such as Richer, the advice from banks and legal advisers will be to consider floating on the stock exchange or selling up to a bigger firm. Corporate institutional culture is largely ignorant about employee ownership, or otherwise outright hostile towards it.

Employee-owned companies perform better, but are resisted by banks, lawyers and governments

Oh, openly hostile rather than ignorant, surely. Worker-owned companies have an inbuilt competitive advantage over shareholder-owned companies - they don't have to pay out dividends. That's not what corporate institutional culture wants.

I spoke to one of my ex clients who has a learning disability today about a TV, he rang Richer Sounds and they advised him that he probably won't need the bigger one so to measure up the smaller 55 inch screen. It's £200 less so thought this was a nice touch. Big up Richer Sounds.

Last edited:
I've been looking for Black Friday deals on a new TV for mother, settled on a Samsung 43", same £329 price on Amazon, Argos & Richer Sounds.

Amazon didn't seem to offer an extended guarantee, Argos wanted £99 for 3 extra years, Richer Sounds included 5 years extra for free. :thumbs:

Costco does five years for free too, think you can buy online even if not a member for a small premium.

I’m treating myself to a pair of Mission LX-3 floor standing speakers for Christmas. No doubt I will be in the Sheffield branch at some point in the next few weeks.

He's still being a good guy

The millionaire businessman Julian Richer is bankrolling a campaign that aims to stamp out the use of controversial zero-hours contracts in Britain.

Zero Hours Justice, which launches today, plans to hold free legal advice clinics around the country for zero-hours workers to identify people whose experiences in the workplace could provide the basis for legal action that could help to change the law.

“I’d love to do a Gina and beat the government,” said Richer, in a reference to the anti-Brexit campaigner Gina Miller. “We will seek to expose zero-hours contracts as sham contracts when they do not represent the truth of what is actually happening.”

The campaign, which has the support of the TUC, will be backed by a national advertising campaign as it seeks to “move the needle” of public opinion on a practice that has become common in many workplaces.
Richer, who last year gave control of his Richer Sounds hi-fi and TV retail chain to staff, champions the need for employers to provide secure, well-paid jobs for their staff. The self-made millionaire has long argued that a happy workforce was key to his own success and is passionate that other companies should follow his example.

“I can’t imagine anything more likely to cause misery than not knowing day-to-day whether they will have enough money for food or rent,” Richer said. “These evil ways of exploiting people at work must be banned. If we can’t give working people basic security, we should be ashamed.”

Richer, who also backs Tax Watch UK, the investigative thinktank that pores over the finances of multinational companies and wealthy individuals, added: “I’m not a mad maverick, jumping around from one thing to another. There is a clear theme of trying to encourage better business because it is the right thing to do.”

I've been looking for Black Friday deals on a new TV for mother, settled on a Samsung 43", same £329 price on Amazon, Argos & Richer Sounds.

Amazon didn't seem to offer an extended guarantee, Argos wanted £99 for 3 extra years, Richer Sounds included 5 years extra for free. :thumbs:

Interestingly, Richer Sounds sell on Amazon.

Back
Top Bottom