Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Richer Sounds founder hands over control of hi-fi and TV firm to staff

editor

hiraethified
Good man...

4317.jpg

The founder of Richer Sounds is handing control of the hi-fi and TV retail chain to staff, in a move that will also give employees large cash bonuses.

Julian Richer will announce to staff on Tuesday that he has transferred 60% of his shares into a John Lewis-style trust. Richer, who recently turned 60, said the “time was right” to pass the baton to the chain’s 531 employees.

“My father dropped down dead at 60 so I am very keen for this to happen in my lifetime,” explained Richer. “I felt the time was right, rather than leaving it until I’m not around, to ensure the transition goes smoothly and I can be part of it. I still really, really care but it is time for the next generation.”

The company will pay Richer an initial £9.2m for the stake but the businessman is giving £3.5m of that back to staff, who will receive £1,000 for every year they have worked for the retailer.
The average payout will be £8,000 but there are 39 employees with more than 20 years’ service who stand to receive substantial windfalls. The company’s nine directors, who Richer said earn six-figure salaries, are not included in the bonus pool: “This is to thank loyal, hardworking colleagues.”

With annual sales of nearly £200m, Richer Sounds is one of the biggest UK companies to embrace employee ownership in recent years.
An unorthodox business figure, with his long hair and sideline as the drummer in funk band Ten Millennia, Richer is lauded for the success of Richer Sounds which he founded in 1978 at the age of 19. His business philosophy, set out in his 2001 management book The Richer Way, champions providing secure, well-paid jobs with a happy workforce as being key to business success over the long term.

Richer Sounds, which has 53 stores, refuses to use zero-hours contracts and is one of the 14% of companies with a pay gap that favours women. Employee perks include access to company holiday homes around the world, including in European cities such as Paris, Venice and Barcelona. It donates 15% of profits, which last year stood at £9.6m, to charity.
And I like him even more:
He is financing Taxwatch, a non-profit organisation which pores over the opaque finances of multinational companies, and is considering funding a test case against zero-hours contracts.

Richer Sounds founder hands over control of hi-fi and TV firm to staff

yes, i saw and like this.

i looked up my local richer sounds branch for a TV I was looking for the other day and was struck by how long some of the staff had been at the same branch (they have a page on the staff). Some people there 8 years plus which feels like a long time in retail.

hopefully they are booking some nice holidays etc. shortly.

yes, i saw and like this.

i looked up my local richer sounds branch for a TV I was looking for the other day and was struck by how long some of the staff had been at the same branch (they have a page on the staff). Some people there 8 years plus which feels like a long time in retail.

hopefully they are booking some nice holidays etc. shortly.
While not in the same league, I was impressed by this gesture by Pret where all staff got a grand - even the ones who had just joined!

All 12,000 Pret a Manger staff to get £1,000 each as chain is sold for £1.5bn

I had no idea it was owned by a person actually named "Richer". I always just sort is supposed it was a company name invented to carry the meaning of our machines will make really good sounds".

I haz learned a thing!

Me too!

Richer Sounds have always been ranked highly on "best places to work".

They allow you to bring your pets into work if you want, and have luxury company cars and holiday homes that employees can use. And you get your birthday off.

Obviously still capitalism, etc, but it sounds like the best of a bad bunch.

Richer Sounds have always been ranked highly on "best places to work".

They allow you to bring your pets into work if you want, and have luxury company cars and holiday homes that employees can use. And you get your birthday off.

Obviously still capitalism, etc, but it sounds like the best of a bad bunch.
The evil capitalist system isn't going to be overturned any time soon, but it seems particularly churlish to pick holes with an employer who has clearly done the best he can to make his employee's lot miles better than almost all other bosses.

Cosy capitalism yay
A company (social care) I used to work for had us employed on minimum wages with shit conditions and no rights whatsoever. The main boss took home 110 grand, middle management was on 50.
They won a few awards (best care provider etc) and a few tenders one year and as a thank you gave all staff a Christmas bonus of £250. Most staff were dead chuffed, not only because they felt rewarded / appreciated, but also because they could really do with the money for Christmas, having worked for minimum wages all year.
I was beyond pissed off and gave mine to charity (as did a few of my colleagues).

The John Lewis model is probably as good as it gets in the current environment. Of course if the staff all sell the shares, they will end up owned like everyone else.

How much do you think brand new employees usually get when their company is taken over?
I'll give you a clue. It's less than 1p.
That's not my point though, I wasn't comparing Pret to other companies.
A quick google suggests that Pret pays its sales personal 7.65 / hour, which is barely enough to survive in London. This makes for a workforce that is happy for the odd £1000 handout and costs Pret practically nothing.
They didn't up their workforces wages as a thank you for making the company worth 1.5bn, no, they presented them with a modest handout and used it for publicity.
I don't even want to know what the main bosses are on annually.
That's what pissed me off so much about my Christmas bonus I received a few years back. The less a company pays the more its workers are gonna appreciate 'bonuses'.

That's not my point though, I wasn't comparing Pret to other companies.
A quick google suggests that Pret pays its sales personal 7.65 / hour, which is barely enough to survive in London. This makes for a workforce that is happy for the odd £1000 handout and costs Pret practically nothing.
They didn't up their workforces wages as a thank you for making the company worth 1.5bn, no, they presented them with a modest handout and used it for publicity.
I don't even want to know what the main bosses are on annually.
That's what pissed me off so much about my Christmas bonus I received a few years back. The less a company pays the more its workers are gonna appreciate 'bonuses'.
Why would a worker who has just started work for the company expect "a thank you for making the company worth 1.5bn"?

Yes, it's all fucking shit because of capitalism is evil blah blah blah, but I'd wager that all of those workers who got a thousand quid more than if they worked for any other High St coffee shop weren't complaining.

Why would a worker who has just started work for the company expect "a thank you for making the company worth 1.5bn"?
because Pret should pay its workers more in the first place. past and future workers make a company worth what it is.

and I'm sure a lot of workers were grateful for the 1000 quid. why wouldn't they be? they are on very shit wages.

pret use this for publicity. more people will be applying for future vacancies - even less of a reason for pret to sort out their shit basic wages.
Where? Show me the adverts.

And what kind of fool starts working for a particular firm in the hope that they'll soon have another multi-million takeover with another once-in-a-lifetime big staff handout following in its wake?

That really doesn't make any sense.

I've worked in a sandwich bar. It's a fucking shit job. All shit wages. But if I had to work in one again, I'd chose Pret over many others.
But it's already been sold to some hedge fund or something so a) offer unlikely to be repeated and b) run by not so cuddly people now anyway.

But it's already been sold to some hedge fund so a) offer unlikely to be repeated and b) run by not so cuddly people now anyway.
I wouldn't choose them in the wild hope of another big handout. That would be very silly.

I'd join them because their working conditions are miles better than most - certainly better than the sandwich bars I worked in.

*not that I want to work in a sandwich bar again, thanks

Back
Top Bottom