Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Revolution VLR- Very Light Rail project looks to make route reopenings viable

Coventry are looking to build such a system they've already built at least one vehicle and some test track, third video down shows it trundling around.

As the article itself actually mentions, the market for these in the UK is likely to be very limited.

It's not really the rail vehicles themselves that are the critical factor in determining whether it's considered viable to reopen a pre-existing rail route.

The Coventry system is different. That's "Very Light Rail" and is being developed at BCIMO in Dudley.
Home - BCIMO
The Big Deal is that the vehicle is so lightweight, the tracks can be laid within the normal road makeup. Standard tram tracks need excavation and utilities moved in order to lay concrete foundations.

This RVLR thing just looks like a cheap train. A C21st Pacer.

Last edited:
The Coventry system is different. That's "Very Light Rail" and is being developed at BCIMO in Dudley.
Home - BCIMO
The Big Deal is that the vehicle is so lightweight, the tracks can be laid within the normal road makeup. Standard tram tracks need excavation and utilities moved in order to lay concrete foundations.

Yep I think the Coventry project is potentially very exciting. Trams made viable for lots of places that would never get the investment needed for a traditional system.

I can't help wondering what this does that a high quality bus service (that can be operated with electric or hybrid buses) with decent bus priority measures, that would all cost a darn sight less, doesn't.

apart from excite politicians and attract a small handful of potential users who think buses are for plebs

I can't help wondering what this does that a high quality bus service (that can be operated with electric or hybrid buses) with decent bus priority measures, that would all cost a darn sight less, doesn't.

apart from excite politicians and attract a small handful of potential users who think buses are for plebs
For folk like me who get motion sick (but don't have anything against buses in principle), it does make a difference for journeys beyond a certain length. On a bus I can't look at anything except out of the window but on rails I can read, write messages on my phone and so on.
There also are situations where a cross-platform change from mainline train to branch line can make a difference.
And of course, much easier to provide level boarding for people in wheelchairs or with prams or bikes.

However - yes given realistic funding options in the UK, it's hard to see many places where this would likely make a difference.

Bus routes are easy to cancel or downgrade.
Trams are higher capacity.
Trams don't put massive wear and tear on road surfaces.
Trams are safer (it's pretty hard to crash something on rails).
And yes, the "it's not a bus" factor is real!

Home - BCIMO

Since Bristol seems to have neither the money nor the political capacity to do anything very complex about its appalling lack of public transport, I wonder if this would be an option.

Bus routes are easy to cancel or downgrade.
Trams are higher capacity.
Trams don't put massive wear and tear on road surfaces.
Trams are safer (it's pretty hard to crash something on rails).
And yes, the "it's not a bus" factor is real!
Yep, I think there are real advantages to trams. Not least, it means that there is a form of public transport that is designed from day 1 to have priority over cars - yes in an ideal world that could be replicated to some extent by proper bus priority lanes and roads but in reality will simply never happen. Putting rails down forces the issue.

And I live on a major bus route that has always had at least 4 per hour during the day and 2 per hour at night and suddenly without any consultation this has been effectively halved. There is just no reliability with our current bus setup.

Absolutely :D
I've been on it a couple of times, back in the 80s - that one's much more modern I see.

Edit....only from Birmingham, not Scotland!
When I rode it, it was in ignorance of its novelty, I had got a bus following a triathlon a few miles away, and needed to get to Worcester.

Back
Top Bottom