Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Returning a Laptop / Battery issue?

Throbbing Angel

uncivilly servile
Bought a brand new Thinkpad online a couple of days ago and want to know if I can return it under distance selling regs which allows returns in the first fortnight.
Specs: Lenovo ThinkPad X395 Laptop Ryzen 7 Pro 3700U 16GB 512GB SSD 13.3" FHD IPS Touch, Windows 10 Pro, Backlit Keyboard, FP, 3 Year Warranty

Paid through PayPal credit to split it over 4 interest free payments.
Battery life is nothing like what's advertised.
Lenovo and the retailer both stated 14+ hours - I'm getting much, much less than that, less than 7 hours and that is with the following changes to save power:
  • Bluetooth off
  • Location off
  • Keyboard backlight off
  • Touch screen disabled
  • Microphone off
  • Power mode set at Better Battery to reduce usage
  • Lenovo Vantage software set to a low fanless mode that throttles the CPU - like a non gaming mode
  • Screen brightness at 50-60%
All this means that I can't use it reliably for any length of time when out and about. The reported battery life if I turn any of these things on drops accordingly, sometimes to 2 hours when the battery is around 95% charged. It's like summat from 20 years ago. Outlook, Word or Excel running seem it make it heat up a great deal, even when using small documents/workbooks.

I find this unacceptable. I paid £360 less than the original RRP, but it is still a big wedge [for me] for a new laptop imho.

Obviously I've used the thing to find all this out - I'm within my rights to return this, aren't I?

Not sure how relevant this is but my laptop battery failed so I bought a new battery and that was fuck all use too, I think because the laptop remembered the previous battery level and set the new one at that. So I personally wouldn't just let them give you a new battery.

Not sure how relevant this is but my laptop battery failed so I bought a new battery and that was fuck all use too, I think because the laptop remembered the previous battery level and set the new one at that. So I personally wouldn't just let them give you a new battery.
The battery isn't one you can just swap out like on older laptops. I like thin and light so it's effectively a sealed unit.

I might just go down the I don't like it route.

Bought a brand new Thinkpad online a couple of days ago and want to know if I can return it under distance selling regs which allows returns in the first fortnight.
Specs: Lenovo ThinkPad X395 Laptop Ryzen 7 Pro 3700U 16GB 512GB SSD 13.3" FHD IPS Touch, Windows 10 Pro, Backlit Keyboard, FP, 3 Year Warranty

Paid through PayPal credit to split it over 4 interest free payments.
Battery life is nothing like what's advertised.
Lenovo and the retailer both stated 14+ hours - I'm getting much, much less than that, less than 7 hours and that is with the following changes to save power:
  • Bluetooth off
  • Location off
  • Keyboard backlight off
  • Touch screen disabled
  • Microphone off
  • Power mode set at Better Battery to reduce usage
  • Lenovo Vantage software set to a low fanless mode that throttles the CPU - like a non gaming mode
  • Screen brightness at 50-60%
All this means that I can't use it reliably for any length of time when out and about. The reported battery life if I turn any of these things on drops accordingly, sometimes to 2 hours when the battery is around 95% charged. It's like summat from 20 years ago. Outlook, Word or Excel running seem it make it heat up a great deal, even when using small documents/workbooks.

I find this unacceptable. I paid £360 less than the original RRP, but it is still a big wedge [for me] for a new laptop imho.

Obviously I've used the thing to find all this out - I'm within my rights to return this, aren't I?

You are within your rights.

Did you buy it from the Lenovo website? Last year their sales were handled by DigitalRiver, a company whose customer service field of fucks was the most barren I have ever seen when I tried to buy one.

Anyway you should send it back, buying Lenovo is funding ethnic genocide in Western China ;)

Last edited:
You are within your rights.

Did you buy it from the Lenovo website? Last year their sales were handled by DigitalRiver, a company whose customer service field of fucks was the most barren I have ever seen when I tried to buy one.

Anyway you should send it back, buying Lenovo is funding ethnic genocide in Western China ;)

Cheers Bahnhof Strasse - No it was from Laptop Outlet Direct via their ebay store, because I had a 60quid voucher on top of their discount. I expect to see a message back from them today on eBay, but I can’t bring myself to check now in case it ruins my lunch, because #Aggro.

Didn’t know about them funding anything dodgy in China but will look into that in case they need to go on the list.

Cheers Bahnhof Strasse - No it was from Laptop Outlet Direct via their ebay store, because I had a 60quid voucher on top of their discount. I expect to see a message back from them today on eBay, but I can’t bring myself to check now in case it ruins my lunch, because #Aggro.

Didn’t know about them funding anything dodgy in China but will look into that in case they need to go on the list.

I didn't know they were a Chinese company until they failed to deliver mine, I thought it was something to do with IBM..?

Ended up with a Samsung, to oppress those poor folk in DPRK instead...

Sent it back after much back and forth and evasion on their part, asking me to make videos of the problem etc.

Felt like a delaying tactic to burn through the 14 days.

The claimed best battery life is 14.5 hours. I'd expect at least 9 from that when using a brand new computer like your average users these days.

Images below shows what I was getting when using Word and Edge or Chrome on WiFi.
Battery1 Copy.PNG

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom