Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Retro computer demos

ska invita

back on the other side
this year ive come across on youtube the computer demo scene...demos are basically a chance for programmers to show off their skills and push a particular computer to the limit with snazzy graphics and music. understanding the limitations that a computer has definitely increases the appreciation of these demos, as they seem to go beyond what anyone ever thought they could do. this is especially so now as people are making demos right now that blow what programmers achieved at the time the computers were most popular out the water.

heres a good thorough introduction to the demoscene and gives insight into some of the many limitations of old computers and how people are breaking those limitation

but even without any of that i think this is just great art with real technical skill behind it.

i thought a thread to post some of the best might be of interest

best enjoyed full screen, volume up (the music is a big part of it), maybe even lights down low

to kick off heres one on the zx spectrum 128

**all these demos can be run off tapes/floppys on the original machines

Last edited:
I wonder if they ever envisioned something like that when they decided to blow a bit of the C=64 budget on a proper, standalone audio chip. It's the one thing that makes it stand out from the rest of the 8-bit crowd.

this year ive come across on youtube the computer demo scene...demos are basically a chance for programmers to show off their skills and push a particular computer to the limit with snazzy graphics and music. understanding the limitations that a computer has definitely increases the appreciation of these demos, as they seem to go beyond what anyone ever thought they could do. this is especially so now as people are making demos right now that blow what programmers achieved at the time the computers were most popular out the water.

heres a good thorough introduction to the demoscene and gives insight into some of the many limitations of old computers and how people are breaking those limitation

but even without any of that i think this is just great art with real technical skill behind it.

i thought a thread to post some of the best might be of interest

best enjoyed full screen, volume up (the music is a big part of it), maybe even lights down low

to kick off heres one on the zx spectrum 128

**all these demos can be run off tapes/floppys on the original machines

My recollection is that the 128k Speccy, just like the 16k and 48k models, only allowed two colours per 8*8 pixel block, often leading to attribute clash between sprites and background. So that demo is more impressive than people who never owned Spectrums will realise.

Back
Top Bottom