Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Reheating a filo pastry pie

ringo

Macaroni cheese controller
Reckon a microwave would make it all soggy. Too fierce in the oven would burn the pastry before the filling was hot.

In a metal cake tin with foil over the top, in the oven on medium heat for half hour?

Will be trying it tonight. Reckon I'll go for the slow heating up option protected in a metal cake tin with foil over the top.

That's exactly what I'd try, ringo :) maybe remove the foil for the last 5 or 10 minutes if it seems it needs re-crisping (assuming it's not too close to being burnt already).

Decided to go with DrRingDing in the end 'cos the filo was looking a little bit damp and had lost its crispiness, but full on oven heat would have burned it. Plus I don't have the patience to warm things through in the oven, takes too long.

Anyway, 3 minutes in the microwave and then 20 mins covered in the oven at gas mark 4 and 5 mins uncovered turned out to be perfect.

Obviously not as good as freshly baked filo, but not bad considering.

Never use foil for this: the moisture is trapped.

Anything that I don't want to go soggy when reheating, I put inside a brown paper bag on a low-to-medium heat, about Gas 4.

The heat is held inside the bag, and the paper absorbs any wetness that comes off the grub.

The bag has never yet burst into flames.

I always dampen baked goods with water when reheating. Recently did this with a filo spinach/feta thingy and it worked fine. Its a great way of reviving day-old bread. Use fingers to sprinkle or rub water over the item until damp, not soggy, and place uncovered in the oven.

Back
Top Bottom