Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Recommendation for employment lawyer?

Cloo

Approved by toads
Not any argy-bargy but my employer asks that I get a lawyer to check my redundancy agreement. They have some recommended people but obviously would rather use my own, so if anyone has someone they've used and would recommend, I'd be grateful. London might be preferable but they probably don't have to be here.

There are lots of employment lawyers who represent employees rather than employers. Thompsons is one of the bigger companies and work with several big trade unions, including UNISON, so are certainly experienced.

If you are a member of a union, ask them for a recommendation.

If you don't want to use Thompson, I can recommend the following, all of whom employ people I know, have worked with before, and respect.

Budget may be an issue. When I was in this situation (2006 I think) my budget was £250 and I just found a random sole practitioner employment lawyer from Potters Bar, which was the closest I could find to N14. Too long ago to track down his details, sorry.

He gave me a few tips on where I could poke holes in the process being followed and push for more of a pay-off, but there wasn’t any question of him getting involved, not without being properly retained.

The role of the employee’s employer-funded solicitor in this case is simply to protect against gross abuses and allow the signed agreement to stand. So some of these well-known shops may be over engineered for the problem.

Thanks all - money's not a problem as employer will pay invoice up to £1000. They ask everyone to go through the redundancy settlement with a legal adviser as a way to avoid any comeback I guess - I'm not planning or expecting to contest anything.

Thanks all - money's not a problem as employer will pay invoice up to £1000. They ask everyone to go through the redundancy settlement with a legal adviser as a way to avoid any comeback I guess - I'm not planning or expecting to contest anything.
it is a requirement of settlement agreements, which it seems this is. Although you may wish to ask the solicitor to advise as to WHY they are doing a settlement agreement rather than just making you redundant - you need to make sure there is something in it for you, as settlement agreements are you giving up your rights in exchange for something you want. If you are entitled to a redundancy payment, and that is all you are getting (contractual as well as statutory) there is no need to sign a settlement agreement.

:weed:

Having gone through four of these I've largely found them a glorified waste of time, albeit necessary.

In the second situation because my CEO couldn't be arsed, I found myself in the bizarre situation of checking the legals from both sides.. :facepalm:

In the third both the lawyers and union recommended i didn't pursue any claim for bullying 'cause it would probably take two years of grief and fail, because power will always side with power.. or summat.

In the fourth one though I had a generous settlement I kind of wished I'd checked it out with some no-win no-fee type lawyers to see if I could've screwed them for anymore as I knew the process leading to it was a sham..

Anyway - one day I'll just leave a job because I want to..

Sorry to hear about this Cloo. Hope it goes as well as these things can.
No worries, it's not an awful situation - I didn't love this job that much though I've liked the organisation and I may yet manage an internal move to something more interesting (I'm kind of hoping I might make it after a few weeks' paid holiday - there's nothing to stop me coming back albeit I'll have to pay tax on some of the settlement)

Not any argy-bargy but my employer asks that I get a lawyer to check my redundancy agreement. They have some recommended people but obviously would rather use my own, so if anyone has someone they've used and would recommend, I'd be grateful. London might be preferable but they probably don't have to be here.
This is a compromise/settlement agreement, yes and you've been there less than two years? Tbh, these are generally pretty standard so if there's no potential challenge for sex/race/whatever discrimination then I wouldn't worry too much about it as it's just a standard part of the process.

No worries, it's not an awful situation - I didn't love this job that much though I've liked the organisation and I may yet manage an internal move to something more interesting (I'm kind of hoping I might make it after a few weeks' paid holiday - there's nothing to stop me coming back albeit I'll have to pay tax on some of the settlement)
Can you rejoin so soon after being made redundant and accepting a redundancy payment? I thought the possibility of a new job was to avoid redundancy? I thought it was either redundancy or a new job within the same organisation, not both.

(I knew someone was who made redundant from the BBC years ago, and iirc, they couldn't return straightaway.)

Can you rejoin so soon after being made redundant and accepting a redundancy payment? I thought the possibility of a new job was to avoid redundancy? I thought it was either redundancy or a new job within the same organisation, not both.

according to this (law firm, first thing to come up on google) it would appear so - although it suggests a gap of at least a week.

although employee would legally be a 'new starter' in terms of any future redundancy pay / employment rights etc.

i have an idea there are some restrictions in the public sector (or at least government were making noises about bringing something in - not sure if it ever happened) even where new job is with a different public sector employer (there have been some high profile cases of fairly senior council officers getting a big pay-off one week and a high paying job at another council the next)

and it might possibly be legal for an employer to have their own policy that they won't re-employ ex redundant staff for X amount of time or at all.

in the circumstances, it might work in employer's favour to re-deploy even if there's a week or two of paying someone not to do anything for a couple of weeks rather than pay redundancy and then re-employ them.

Ours appears to have a policy that people can return any time, but I am going to clarify with HR person this morning. I emailed her about that and she said settlement should clarify, but it didn't seem to say anything about it, which maybe is the clarification!

Ours appears to have a policy that people can return any time, but I am going to clarify with HR person this morning. I emailed her about that and she said settlement should clarify, but it didn't seem to say anything about it, which maybe is the clarification!
Ask the lawyer! That’s the kind of thing they’re advising on - the consequences of signing this agreement.

I've clarified now and basically you can return any time, but if it's within 6 months you have to repay the redundancy, which is fair enough tbh.

HR lass suggested that although I can sign the settlement up to the end of the month, sooner means the PILON is more likely to be paid end of this month rather than having to wait for March payroll, but I'm thinking if there's a possibility (and there is) of an internal role coming through before mid next month, maybe that's better, as they might have time to stop that extra sum being paid out only to be repaid!

I've just heard from someone senior there might be a few of the roles I'm after available soon as there's a few people moving around,, and he says to keep chasing up relevant hr person, who I'm sending my CV to today (we're such a huge business that each part has its own 'people team')

I've clarified now and basically you can return any time, but if it's within 6 months you have to repay the redundancy, which is fair enough tbh.

HR lass suggested that although I can sign the settlement up to the end of the month, sooner means the PILON is more likely to be paid end of this month rather than having to wait for March payroll, but I'm thinking if there's a possibility (and there is) of an internal role coming through before mid next month, maybe that's better, as they might have time to stop that extra sum being paid out only to be repaid!

I've just heard from someone senior there might be a few of the roles I'm after available soon as there's a few people moving around,, and he says to keep chasing up relevant hr person, who I'm sending my CV to today (we're such a huge business that each part has its own 'people team')
You'd think internal HR teams would be a bit more proactive and actively try to redeploy those at risk into suitable internal roles, rather than put the onus back on the at risk people to repeatedly chase them.

They have been doing chasing for the stuff I have already applied for - TBF, it's a huge business to the point each division has it's own HR, there's no central one so I don't think it's necessarily reasonable for them to try and source the jobs as well.

It looks like I might get some 1:1 support from HR team people on looking for new roles and I've asked to cover CV writing because my first attempts at a new CV are always crap and my current situation means I'm not sure the best approach to take - as in my previous role was more responsible and independent, but this one has developed a new skillset.

I have found a local lady via our synagogue who is an experienced HR lawyer and had an initial chat. After next Friday the review period is over so presumably I can find out more about who is being made redundant as she made the good point that although I have no concerns now, a lot could depend on where the redundancies are. I suppose if it turns out that they're all women over 40, or all people who've been there less than 2 years and aren't owed redundancy, there could be an issue. I'm a free-standing role that doesn't have an equivalent anywhere, which makes it hard to check fairness of redundancy either way.

I'd suggest Oliver Fisher in Finchley simply as I once did a summer placement with them and they were nice people.

Glad you've clarified. Can imagine that some folk going through the same process might be thinking of spending their redundancy pay on a nice family holiday or a car or a big ticket item/appliance for the home, not realising that if they get a job in a different department it will be repayable.

It's arguably information they should be making clear to those going through the at risk of redundancy process, instead of leaving it to staff to have to ask for clarification.

I'm not convinced that applies to statutory redundancy pay. Is this a rule for (enhanced) redundancy pay in organisation's own scheme?

Double check this with the lawyer Incase there is something in the documentation which does stipulate a minimum time frame before you can return to work with the same company. I know when I went through this in 2010 my paperwork had a clause stating no return before 2 years had elapsed otherwise there were financial penalties I would have been liable to.

I have checked, you can come back but if it's within 6 months you pay back the redundancy.

Back
Top Bottom