Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Recommend me some trainers

RubyToogood

RubyTwobikes
I've been advised (a) to walk, which I do anyway, and (b) to wear trainers rather than shoes when I do for the sake of my joints. Trainers are a closed book to me, other than that I've had the odd pair of more plimsoll/Converse type things which aren't cushioning enough.

Also, I'm on a budget.

Where to start? What am I looking for? Not white. Probably black. Or a colour.

RubyToogood I wear trainers at work cus ridiculously concrete flooring-,( it's harder then the street) most of the staff do too. Mostly sketchers. Personally I like new balance and hoka because I need trainers that are specifically for over pronation.
Asiacs are also good.
Here is a guide to your walking style so you can get the right trainers to support you.

RubyToogood I wear trainers at work cus ridiculously concrete flooring-,( it's harder then the street) most of the staff do too. Mostly sketchers. Personally I like new balance and hoka because I need trainers that are specifically for over pronation.
Asiacs are also good.
Here is a guide to your walking style so you can get the right trainers to support you.

I definitely wear out the outside edge of my shoes, which makes me a supinator.

YMMV but I have supposedly fussy feet (wide, high arches, weird pronation) and I always find the best way of buying trainers is just to go into somewhere like TKMaxx or Deichmann and buy whatever costs less than £30 and looks alright. Every time I've tried to buy special trainers with the right support or whatever I've ended up returning them.

Would agee with kalidarkone .
Asics and New Balance are good. I like New Balance because they are so light and have a decent amount of room for my gammey toes and bunions and 😊

Asics and New Balance are about the only ones I can wear, but I'm an overpronator. Most neutral shoes will work just fine for a supinator.

Another vote for Asics, great arch support and mine have lasted quite a few years now. However:
  • You mentioned you were on a budget. Idk what your budget is but I don't think Asics are budget trainers, I bought mine at an outlet and they still weren't cheap;
  • Asics run narrow, might not work for wide feet;
  • They're pretty ugly imho, although the comfort makes it worth it.

Another vote for Asics, great arch support and mine have lasted quite a few years now. However:
  • You mentioned you were on a budget. Idk what your budget is but I don't think Asics are budget trainers, I bought mine at an outlet and they still weren't cheap;
Yes I have quite wide feet.

I bought a pair of Skechers from TKMaxx just over a month ago. Can confirm they're really comfy and great for walking a lot in. My feet are wide too. (I've got a weird Spock toes thing going on called Morton's neuroma, and my splayed toes mean I can longer wear a lot of my older narrower shoes.)

I got these trainers just before coming to France for 12 weeks, wore them to travel in and wanted to use them to go to the gym while I was here, because I also brought a pair of flat Mary Janes a pair of platform heeled Mary Janes for going out out, and two pairs of sandals with a bit of a heel to wear plus a pair of ballet flats.

The first afternoon we had a four hour guided tour of the city. And then I ended up walking around two hours a day to/from language school and internship. So although I've switched to the flat Mary Janes some days, I haven't worn the platforms, the sandals X 2 or the ballet pumps.

I've ended up wearing these 4-5 days a week for the past four weeks. I did get blisters on the back of my heel that first afternoon, but I had some blister plasters so it was fine. Might be a good idea to pre-emptively preventatively put on blister plasters on the back of your heel if you get some, the first few times you wear them.

I mean, my legs ached from walking so much, but my feet weren't killing me, which was a surprise.

10/10 would buy Skechers again.
16846782499725155329244038669989.jpg

I may just have had bad luck, but the only Sketchers I ever bought did about 3 months before coming apart. Could just have been luck of the draw, but given the vast choice of brands I wasn't about to give them a second chance.

There in lies the issue, we are all different with different needs. Like RubyToogood I have wide feet so ASICS are out. I've always found merrels reliable and can be picked up cheap from tkmaxx or similar online I guess.
I actually do have wide feet as well, but I need to be held tight rather than allowed to splay out or it will hurt. I think most of the big names will do extra wide sizes, but you're stuck if you want to find them on sale. As I understand it, Asics aren't narrow but they are true to size whereas a lot of the others are more generous with their space. Which, yes, is effectively narrow. :)

I have these Meindl boots that I love to death, but they're just that little bit narrow and unless I wear them for a week ahead of a hike to get my feet used to them it's not great.

I actually do have wide feet as well, but I need to be held tight rather than allowed to splay out or it will hurt. I think most of the big names will do extra wide sizes, but you're stuck if you want to find them on sale. As I understand it, Asics aren't narrow but they are true to size whereas a lot of the others are more generous with their space. Which, yes, is effectively narrow. :)

I have these Meindl boots that I love to death, but they're just that little bit narrow and unless I wear them for a week ahead of a hike to get my feet used to them it's not great.
Again, things like meindl have a "comfort" fit but finding anyone with the comfort fits in stock is nigh on impossible. Trainer of choice, with good fit is Kean but can be pricey.

I've ordered a pair of Skechers from Pavers. I fully expect to be returning them and to be doing this on repeat for some time.

There's an asics outlet website. Just got a pair of 90 quid trainers for 40 quid off there. They also do some wide foot models.

The Skechers came, failed to impress and are going back. I wasn't sure they'd be that much of an improvement on my DMs.

I've ordered instead some Teva sandals as I've been eyeing them up for a while and perhaps more seasonally useful.

The Teva sandals have worked out well and I've now also bought these Merrell trainers in the sale.

alpine-sneaker-j004150-p10525-523250_medium.jpg

Fitflops (the boots/ trainers not the actual flipflops) have been my most comfortable pavement shoes ever, and I walk a lot. They were great when I was getting over plantar fasciitis but still wanted to do long walks.

They are not cheap, but once I knew my size I'd look in sales/ on ebay.

And some are hideous (either hideously over-jazzled or wierdly orthopaedic) , but there does seem to be a huge variety of styles so you might be lucky & find something that works for you.
There was one style I found bearable from about 10 years ago, and I found a newish pair on ebay last year when mine had worn out!

Also careful because I think they now also do thin-soled ones, which is presumably not what you want.

I'm also a fan of skechers. Of all the trainers I've owned they are the lightest, easiest to walk in.

The only downside is being so lightweight, they can be less weatherproof so my feet get colder in them in winter. I find a fat pair of Reebok, puma, fila is a handy backup. I'm usually able to score a pair for under £40 unlike Nike, Adidas, etc where you'd be paying at least twice that.

Back
Top Bottom